Engineering an Electric Skateboard

I am currently in a project trying to create an electric skateboard. It was easy to draw the skateboard up in SketchUp itself but I've run into the problem of powering it. I have a few ideas. The first would be to convert an electric scooter (which I don't have) to fit and power a skateboard. The other is to use a drill and put it directly against a wheel and use a bike's brake cable to squeeze the trigger of the drill. My problem here is burning up a drill's motor as well as mounting the thing itself. Any other ideas on powering or mounting? What could be a good source of power and/or a motor? Thanks for any help.
- Connor

Also, how should I attach a SketchUp file? That might make this easier.

4712773f4af03b4fde0a49cffe518ff9.jpg

if you do everything yourself youll probably be looking at around $300 and if you get a kit about $600 and a plug and play system will cost around $1000. good luck on your journey. right now the price is too high for me to venture down this road. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

-SNIP-

If your wanting to make your own electric skateboard I would look for high torque electric motors, using a belt drive system would probably be your best bet in terms of efficiency. For power though Using Li-po batteries are going to give you power you need. 

A drill motor is very capable of all of this just keep in min how you will mount all of this and the batteries.

4712773f4af03b4fde0a49cffe518ff9.jpg

if you do everything yourself youll probably be looking at around $300 and if you get a kit about $600 and a plug and play system will cost around $1000. good luck on your journey. right now the price is too high for me to venture down this road. 

If your wanting to make your own electric skateboard I would look for high torque electric motors, using a belt drive system would probably be your best bet in terms of efficiency. For power though Using Li-po batteries are going to give you power you need. 

A drill motor is very capable of all of this just keep in min how you will mount all of this and the batteries.

This is all meant to be a home-spun project (The goal is to not spend much money on store products. I might as well buy a BoostedBoard at that point.) I think I have an idea for a belt system if I can find a belt. Any idea for that?

This is all meant to be a home-spun project (The goal is to not spend much money on store products. I might as well buy a BoostedBoard at that point.) I think I have an idea for a belt system if I can find a belt. Any idea for that?

True those are very pricey for what they are but if you want to DIY it if you can get short timing belts with a pulley it would work well. Probably short belts like that are best found online or in places like lawn tools which uses those timing belts.

I would look into a mounting method and control system for it if your keeping it as a switch throttle that you can push or a kind of wireless system.

True those are very pricey for what they are but if you want to DIY it if you can get short timing belts with a pulley it would work well. Probably short belts like that are best found online or in places like lawn tools which uses those timing belts.

I would look into a mounting method and control system for it if your keeping it as a switch throttle that you can push or a kind of wireless system.

The nice thing about using a brake as a throttle is that you have variable speed. I can look around for belts.

The nice thing about using a brake as a throttle is that you have variable speed. I can look around for belts.

You may be able to setup a regenerative system where you can reverse polarity for braking, you may need to look into that though if that can work that work.