[Fallout 4] Anybody else think Diamond City is really underwhelming?

TopWargamer

So after 9 hours of Fallout 4 I have finally reached Diamond City! To be honest... I was expecting a lot more than a "city" in the middle of Fenway Park. Like, okay, Fallout: New Vegas. I loved that game (more than Fallout 3 (we can agree to disagree) and the main city (New Vegas) in that game was awesome. New Vegas was lively, fun to explore, had excellent scenery, and when you were ballin' in caps you could gamble it away. Going from that to Diamond City is just a real let down, ya know? Especially when Fallout 4 really is a fantastic game (so far, anyways).

I think Diamond City will grow on me after awhile, but IMO nothing beats New Vegas in terms of Fallout cities. So ya, do you guys and gals think the main city in Fallout 4 is a bit underwhelming as well?

COMIC SANS

Nuke it.

From what all my friends have told me FO4 is a let down.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I spent a lot of my 9hrs in it but it is way too small. The city around it has only the guards and then just bad guys and if you go east there is the biggest city which when I flew over it it is just littered with more bad guys. Would be cooler if there were more friendly NPCs/friendly areas in the city like Diamond City

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Nuke it.

IMO it's not. Diamond City is my only real complaint about the game. Other than that, Fallout 4 is fantastic so far.

As a side note, where's the NCR in this game?

COMIC SANS

Okay, so I'm from the Boston area and there is only so much space inside Fenway Park and the story line that revolves around Diamond City is much more important than the flashiness of the city. Remember there is some corruptness and shitty stuff going down in Diamond City and that's what is important, like how the significance of New Vegas was the fact that the guy running it was pretty much a vegetable being kept alive by machines.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

IMO it's not. Diamond City is my only real complaint about the game. Other than that, Fallout 4 is fantastic so far.

As a side note, where's the NCR in this game?

NCR stands for New California Republic.

Fallout 4 takes place in Boston.

;)

You'll only see the NCR again if there is anther fallout set on the west cost. Bethesda created their own lore on the east coast and decided to not take much from the original fallout games. New Vegas and the original fallouts are all in the West.

NCR stands for New California Republic.

Fallout 4 takes place in Boston.

;)

You'll only see the NCR again if there is anther fallout set on the west cost. Bethesda created their own lore on the east coast and decided to not take much from the original fallout games. New Vegas and the original fallouts are all in the West.

Okay, I thought the NCR was in Fallout 3, which is why I was asking. Remembering wrong I guess. Haven't played Fallout 3 in awhile.

COMIC SANS

Nuke it.

I'm surprised. Honestly didn't like fallout 3 or NV that much, I actually returned fallout 3 the same day I bought it, but if you like that satisfying gun action its really quite fun. I was blown away with how much I enjoy it considering how I didn't like the others, but killing things is just so satisfying in FO4. The recoil and damage from the firearms is what gets me, its just fun to play.

But I wasn't hyped up on it like everyone else before hand, so I was pleasntly surprised, rather than let down.

at least the surrounding area of diamond city is pretty active. it's no wonder the city stayed within the walls. but yeah, it's nothing compared to New Vegas. 

at least the surrounding area of diamond city is pretty active. it's no wonder the city stayed within the walls. but yeah, it's nothing compared to New Vegas. 

New Vegas was a boring pile of trash.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

New Vegas was a boring pile of trash.

New vegas didn't feel very boring to me. in fact i would have liked Obsidian to write most of FO4, since a number of their quests and characters actually feel believable. 

if you're talking about the city itself, it could always be more livelier. 

New vegas didn't feel very boring to me. in fact i would have liked Obsidian to write most of FO4, since a number of their quests and characters actually feel believable. 

Nah, I'm talking about the entire game. It felt empty and lifeless. The Mojave Wasteland wasn't nuked, but it sure felt like it was.

Fallout 3 may have been a technically inferior game to New Vegas, but it just lacked personality imo. I much prefer Bethesda's world building.

Interestingly enough, I felt the same way with the KotOR series. TSL is a technically superior game, but at the end of the day, I would much rather play the original KotOR.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Fallout 4 is the musical equivalent of a drum beat and bass line.  It has a melody, and forms a complete statement, but there is still plenty of space left to fill in.  

It's going to prove a modders paradise, and in a year or two it will be something awesome. 

I haven't explored that far into the game yet to see for myself but it looks pretty overwhelming as you look out beyond. Haven't played much of it myself though because this game is terribly optimized right now :/.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

I almost feel like they "hyped up" Diamond city to the same scale as New Vegas as a joke.  Regardless, it's a cesspool of a city and the clearly superior city is Goodneighbor.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

Nuke it.

It was overhyped though. A let down was expected. It couldn't have reached the level of hype it had. Even then, I wasn't that hyped about it , and I was still disappointed. (coming from NV)

Bethesda...Bethesda never changes.

I guess we'll have to wait for Obsidian to make another great Fallout game.

I'm getting close to the end, but I've felt like I had no motivation to continue the main storyline since...well, since the main "plot-twist" which you can probably see coming miles away (ok, maybe you won't see it exactly, but you will definitely expect something very similar to it) . Then the game just...doesn't really do anything interesting. It's just the faction fetching quests. Out of 3 factions , choose 1 and destroy the other 2. That's it. And all factions seem like bad choices to me. The Institute doesn't consider Synths to have a consciousness and treat them as machines. The Brotherhood of Steel is seriously racist and quite bad. The Railroad is really shady. At least there's the Minutemen...which don't really matter.

Not to mention that you keep getting quests from all of them for some damn reason?

If I want to side with the Institute then why do I get quests from the Brotherhood of Steel to sabotage the Institute? What the hell. There's no option of saying "No" in a lot of quests. Which brings me to another issue, the really bad dialogue system. Seriously, it's really bad. And what the hell is with that "Sarcastic" option? It's like they wanted to be fun and not fun at the same time.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I actually enjoy being in diamond city. Sure it is pretty small but it is pretty nice. thats what she said

I'm surprised. Honestly didn't like fallout 3 or NV that much, I actually returned fallout 3 the same day I bought it, but if you like that satisfying gun action its really quite fun. I was blown away with how much I enjoy it considering how I didn't like the others, but killing things is just so satisfying in FO4. The recoil and damage from the firearms is what gets me, its just fun to play.

But I wasn't hyped up on it like everyone else before hand, so I was pleasntly surprised, rather than let down.

Close range + V.A.T.S + Shotgun is the best <3 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

comparing new vegas to this  vegas is empty and wasted space fo4 is more active 

lives on

BAKABT