Computer upgrades in a weak CDN dollar

Hey guys, this is more of a discussion rather than a question; im interested to see if any of my fellow Canadians are holding off on any major PC upgrades until the dollar rebounds.... I was watching pauls hardware's monthly builds the other day and the skylake processor (i5 6600k) that I was considering upgrading to was a full 100 dollars cheaper in the united states! 

I mostly just play DOTA 2, and I have a decent graphics card (290x) but I threw it in an older system equipped with a fx 8350 as I didn't have the money to build a brand new computer at the time (it was youthful ignorance that made me decide i needed to ball out that hard on a gpu when i had a cpu that couldn't keep up.... In hindsight I'm well aware it was a stupid decision lol). So, I do want to upgrade to intel's new platform so I can get the full performance of my GPU in newer/more demanding FPS games, but im not willing to spend 350 bucks on an i5 cpu..... 

So ya, I was wondering if any of you guys felt the same way? or is the need to upgrade your PC something that you are willing to take a bit of a financial hit on? 

- Chris

In Australia, we have a similar problem. I am waiting for now. It is a shame, but the cheapest Z170 motherboard costs around $100 more than the cheapest Z97 did twelve months ago. And some things (such as NZXT's cases) have all gone up in price.

Most likely our dollar is not going to rebound in a Loooong time, so I just look around trying to take advantage of any good sales. Sucks though  :(

Spoiler

CPU: AMD R7 5800X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO | Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO | Memory: G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 3200mhz 64GB | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra | PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w | OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | Games Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Media Drive: 2x WD Blue HDD 1TB in Raid 0 | Media Drive: 2x WD Black HDD 2TB in Raid 1 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q UHD | Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q WQHD

I'm waiting for black friday to get a new monitor. seems like the only time ill be able to afford anything until the dollar stabilizes. Also if you just play dota you super dont need to upgrade, unless you have other more demanding titles.

I'm waiting for black friday to get a new monitor. seems like the only time ill be able to afford anything until the dollar stabilizes. Also if you just play dota you super dont need to upgrade, unless you have other more demanding titles.

yea man, I know I don't need the upgrade... also in university so I'm really not trying to spend $$.. but at the same time I do wanna get my star wars on so if any black friday deals are appealing enough of black friday or any other major sale I might yolo 

- Chris

yea man, I know I don't need the upgrade... also in university so I'm really not trying to spend $$.. but at the same time I do wanna get my star wars on so if any black friday deals are appealing enough of black friday or any other major sale I might yolo 

okay, its the upgrade itch I get it lol

Most likely our dollar is not going to rebound in a Loooong time, so I just look around trying to take advantage of any good sales. Sucks though  :(

Only going to get worse with the TTP bill that everyone wants to pass.

Only going to get worse with the TTP bill that everyone wants to pass.

they all said the same thing about NAFTA... were gonna lose our "average joe jobs" regardless of if we want to be smart about creating higher level ones (through TPP and other forms)... to not sign on to the TPP would in my opinion be covering our ears and saying "la la la la la la !! globalization isn't a thing I cant hear you la la la la la la" 

- Chris

I lucked out with my system and scored a lot of stuff used for cheap.

Haven't been so lucky lately. Even prices on ebay are absolute shit, especially from the states.

I've still got the upgrade bugs but I'm fighting them off til better sales come up or our dollar stops tanking. Whatever comes first.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

buy the parts in the us and ship them to a us pick up point..then just go pick them up

I do this all the time with stuff

and if the item is small enough..you can just hide it or w/e so you don't have to pay customs

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

buy the parts in the us and ship them to a us pick up point..then just go pick them up

I do this all the time with stuff

and if the item is small enough..you can just hide it or w/e so you don't have to pay customs

and if you get caught you get slapped with a big fine and do not get your items.

and if you get caught you get slapped with a big fine and do not get your items.

nah..they usually just ignore it

unless its a major priced item

and if its a big item..you probably wouldn't be able to hide it anyway

in those cases..I usually just say I already had it in the car...just never take it out

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Hey guys, this is more of a discussion rather than a question; im interested to see if any of my fellow Canadians are holding off on any major PC upgrades until the dollar rebounds.... I was watching pauls hardware's monthly builds the other day and the skylake processor (i5 6600k) that I was considering upgrading to was a full 100 dollars cheaper in the united states! 

I mostly just play DOTA 2, and I have a decent graphics card (290x) but I threw it in an older system equipped with a fx 8350 as I didn't have the money to build a brand new computer at the time (it was youthful ignorance that made me decide i needed to ball out that hard on a gpu when i had a cpu that couldn't keep up.... In hindsight I'm well aware it was a stupid decision lol). So, I do want to upgrade to intel's new platform so I can get the full performance of my GPU in newer/more demanding FPS games, but im not willing to spend 350 bucks on an i5 cpu..... 

So ya, I was wondering if any of you guys felt the same way? or is the need to upgrade your PC something that you are willing to take a bit of a financial hit on? 

same thing happened in AUS - our dollar tanked against the US, shifted by around 40% in a few years... I sold my i5-4690 for more than I paid for it because the retail price went up by 40% in 12 months...

Your best bet is second hand parts, the BEST bang for buck is an X58 motherboard with a 32nm-gulftown 6-core CPU, either an i7 980x/990x or a xeon W3670 / W3680 / W3670 - you should be able to get both for $300-400 AUD ($250 USD) 

here is a 980x @ 4.4ghz getting 14,912 physics score in firestrike - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6155046

here is an i5-6600 @ 4.7ghz getting 10,407 physics score in firestrike - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6427038

Here is an ebay listing for a 6-core 32nm xeon - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/INTEL-XEON-SIX-CORE-W3670-LGA1366-PROCESSOR-SLBVE-12M-3-20-Up-To-3-46-GHz-/371482307102?hash=item567e122a1e:g:qzAAAOSw5ZBWNnOg

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

same thing happened in AUS - our dollar tanked against the US, shifted by around 40% in a few years... I sold my i5-4690 for more than I paid for it because the retail price went up by 40% in 12 months...

Your best bet is second hand parts, the BEST bang for buck is an X58 motherboard with a 32nm-gulftown 6-core CPU, either an i7 980x/990x or a xeon W3670 / W3680 / W3670 - you should be able to get both for $300-400 AUD ($250 USD) 

here is a 980x @ 4.4ghz getting 14,912 physics score in firestrike - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6155046

here is an i5-6600 @ 4.7ghz getting 10,407 physics score in firestrike - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6427038

Here is an ebay listing for a 6-core 32nm xeon - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/INTEL-XEON-SIX-CORE-W3670-LGA1366-PROCESSOR-SLBVE-12M-3-20-Up-To-3-46-GHz-/371482307102?hash=item567e122a1e:g:qzAAAOSw5ZBWNnOg

ahahahh thats nuts that you sold your chip for more than you bought it for eh ! 

- Chris

ahahahh thats nuts that you sold your chip for more than you bought it for eh ! 

yep :-P and it was still $120 under retail...

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.