building my first pc

mr_lactose

So three months ago my trusty old piece of trash decided to break down on me and i decided to compile what little i knew about how computers worked and build my own pc.

three months later of watching hours on LTT and other channels with build guides and tech tips. 

Also sitting in skype for four hours with a few friends while they argued whether or not amd is really worth the price or if intel charges to much for the new xeon. I have finally amassed a list of parts that i think will work.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DBBX6h

^there's the link^

don't chew me out too hard.

I chose the amd because it was cheaper then the intel products and im not exactly laden down with cash like some other people. This pretty much is wiping out what my meager paycheck has built up over a few months. Everything i chose is because i thought from the research i had done it was the best bang for my buck. 

I've only really been getting into the hardware of computers for a few months now and have been having an absolute blast though. Ive even installed a new psu in my neighbors computer for her. 

Anyway that's my built for right now. Tell me what you think....

Alright, give me a moment.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($99.99 @ Micro Center) 
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($61.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card  ($193.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: DIYPC Shadow-H01-W ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $570.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-06 17:23 EST-0500

Although it's over the presumed budget of $550, this would perform better in gaming because of a more powerful GPU and the higher IPC of Intel's processors. Also, it has a better PSU.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

It's nice, but I would consider getting an aftermarket heatsink for that CPU if you plan to OC. I would suggest the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or the CRYORIG H7. Also, don't buy a CX series PSU. They are extremely low quality and don't last very long before breaking. I would suggest a seasonic, XFX, or higher end Corsair PSU (AXi, HXi series). Other than that, nice build.

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

I personally think, that this is a pretty solid build.         - ,but would you mind buying used parts? I mean you could save a lot just by buying a used GTX960 :) or even a 970 ;)

Student - Budgetbuilder - trying to save as much money as possible :D    | I love clean Setups |

PC: i5-3470. GTX660. 8GB DDR3. -> 320 USD  | Z3 -> 160USD | selfbuild Speakersystem -> 21USD

So three months ago my trusty old piece of trash decided to break down on me and i decided to compile what little i knew about how computers worked and build my own pc.

three months later of watching hours on LTT and other channels with build guides and tech tips. 

Also sitting in skype for four hours with a few friends while they argued whether or not amd is really worth the price or if intel charges to much for the new xeon. I have finally amassed a list of parts that i think will work.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DBBX6h

^there's the link^

don't chew me out too hard.

I chose the amd because it was cheaper then the intel products and im not exactly laden down with cash like some other people. This pretty much is wiping out what my meager paycheck has built up over a few months. Everything i chose is because i thought from the research i had done it was the best bang for my buck. 

I've only really been getting into the hardware of computers for a few months now and have been having an absolute blast though. Ive even installed a new psu in my neighbors computer for her. 

Anyway that's my built for right now. Tell me what you think....

Personally, i would go Intel pentium or i3 at least.  If its too much, wait till black friday and cyber monday... (near the end of this month).  Good choice on the 960 (not that much more than a 950 and has almost a 20% increase of performance in some catagories).

The Canadian Version Of Everything

-Made In Canada

@shadowbyte i had seen some reviews on the pcx series psus being low quality but mostly passed it off as people being angry about getting to low of a wattage for their builds.

@Nezq i had looked into buying used parts, but in my other hobby it can get a bit dicey buying used stuff from other people and i didn't want to run the risk on my first computer..

@Made In Canada  if those parts are cheap enough on cyber monday i was planning on doing a quick switch up already.

I forgot to mention i am planning to buy everything cyber monday.

Although it's over the presumed budget of $550, this would perform better in gaming because of a more powerful GPU and the higher IPC of Intel's processors.

This works too.

-Made In Canada

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Micro Center)

Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($61.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.89 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($193.98 @ Newegg)

Case: DIYPC Shadow-H01-W ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)

Although it's over the presumed budget of $550, this would perform better in gaming because of a more powerful GPU and the higher IPC of Intel's processors.

Substitute that case for an NZXT s340 and boom. Done

Substitute that case for an NZXT s340 and boom. Done

Its the same case as what the person wanted.

Next time maybe say "im my opinion".

Edited by Made In Canada

-Made In Canada

Really an i3? O.o i'd rather go for that FX-6300.

Student - Budgetbuilder - trying to save as much money as possible :D    | I love clean Setups |

PC: i5-3470. GTX660. 8GB DDR3. -> 320 USD  | Z3 -> 160USD | selfbuild Speakersystem -> 21USD

@Nezq i had looked into buying used parts, but in my other hobby it can get a bit dicey buying used stuff from other people and i didn't want to run the risk on my first computer..

np mate. I just buy all my stuff Used :D but everyone how he likes it best.                           Got an i5-3470 for 40€ ( 42USD)

Then you dont know much about gaming cpu's.  No offence.

Its more powerful single core wise.

Edited by Made In Canada

-Made In Canada

an i3 will perform better in games due to stronger single core performance 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

@TheRandomness the budget originally started off at 400 dollars but its been slowly inching its way up painfully inch by inch.. thought that build looks pretty good.

@x99stattrack if i had the money. The reason why i want the case i have now is because of the fans and im a huge mirrors edge fan. The case reminded me alot of the game.

np mate. I just buy all my stuff Used :D but everyone how he likes it best.                           Got an i5-3470 for 40€ ( 42USD)

Thats what Canada should sell them for.  And doesint 40 pounds mean it was $20 usd?? 

Edited by Made In Canada

-Made In Canada

@TheRandomness the budget originally started off at 400 dollars but its been slowly inching its way up painfully inch by inch.. thought that build looks pretty good.

@x99stattrack if i had the money. The reason why i want the case i have now is because of the fans and im a huge mirrors edge fan. The case reminded me alot of the game.

The diypc cases are kind low end. Cable management won't be fun, and durability. I only recommend the s340 as its an NZXT product, and its rock solid

Then you dont know much about gaming cpu's.  No offence.

Its more powerful single core wise.

Unfortunately Iam in more into Video and Photo editing. Would you also rather recommend an i3 to me or the FX-6300?

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($113.88 @ OutletPC) 

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($67.89 @ OutletPC) 

Memory: PNY Anarchy 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($33.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($44.88 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: DIYPC Solo-T1-BK ATX Mid Tower Case  ($26.91 @ Newegg) 

Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Total: $605.03

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-06 17:37 EST-0500

little over your budget but you can cut it down buy ignoring the ssd for a little bit but i wouldnt. going with slightly older tech will give you decent performance for less money but this will still give you an upgrade path for both your cpu and gpu

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

Thats what Canada should sell them for.  And doesint 40 pounds mean it was $20 usd?? 

No :) 40Euros are 42USD.

Although it's over the presumed budget of $550, this would perform better in gaming because of a more powerful GPU and the higher IPC of Intel's processors. Also, it has a better PSU.

you can also upgrade the cpu witch later you will be vary happy about ( amd kinda doesn't excel there right now)

Unfortunately Iam in more into Video and Photo editing. Would you also rather recommend an i3 to me or the FX-6300?

I meant no offence, as for video and photo editing, i cant really recommend one of the two.  However, i will say, i personally would likely still go for the i3.

-Made In Canada

back in the 11s that would make sense but what people aren't saying is how the fx did well against the OLD i3s of the same time.. but now the FX line up is a dead end and the fx 6300 will be a performance hit in some game. i know, i had one. then i went to an i5 4440S and that was a bit better even and that was a S processor

you can also upgrade the cpu witch later you will be vary happy about ( amd kinda doesn't excel there right now)

"right now"?  Personally i think it will hardly be keeping up.

-Made In Canada