AMD faces class action suit over Bulldozer missrepresentation

zMeul

So I'm not that familiar with the hardware stuff, some people said the shared FPU and othet stuff isn't that bad for 2 cores. Let's assume the CPU's had 8 modules instead of 4 modoules without shared components, would there be a huge performance boost?

If not I wouldn't care at all as a customer. If yes I def wouldnt by the new Zen CPUs because we don't know what kind of "scam" is incomming.

Zen will not have a shared FPU between two cores. You have nothing to worry about. 

Why is no one interested in producing dGPUs anymore? Why do we only have two companies left? Same goes for x86. Why is Intel allowed to keep the licence between them and AMD only??? Doesn't that stifle innovation? 

It's not that no one's interested. The fundamental tech needed to make them is owned by 2 companies (AMD and Nvidia) who both patent troll the hell out of newcomers.

AMD gave an x86 license to VIA as well. And it's Intel's invention up to certain limits of monopoly, Intel can keep that IP to itself. Just because I come up with a cure for HIV doesn't mean you can have it for free. It's the same principle.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Interesting. Could you post screenshots from about this Mac?

I'm a bit drunk and have forgotten a good deal of how this works. You'll have to forgive me. 3 exams and 2 projects in a week have pretty much exhausted my ability to be rational. 3 shots of whiskey and 6 Dogfish Imperial IPAs later and you get my current state.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It's not that no one's interested. The fundamental tech needed to make them is owned by 2 companies (AMD and Nvidia) who both patent troll the hell out of newcomers.

AMD gave an x86 license to VIA as well. And it's Intel's invention up to certain limits of monopoly, Intel can keep that IP to itself. Just because I come up with a cure for HIV doesn't mean you can have it for free. It's the same principle.

Just a quick question, when do those patents expire?

I'm a bit drunk and have forgotten a good deal of how this works. You'll have to forgive me. 3 exams and 2 projects in a week have pretty much exhausted my ability to be rational. 3 shots of whiskey and 6 Dogfish Imperial IPAs later and you get my current state.

Lmao. This is great. 

Well that's just rather unfortunate. OHHHH!! A question. Could AMD leverage their massive patent portfolio to generate income?

Just a quick question, when do those patents expire?

depends. the ones which keep Intel at bay from implementing a GDDR5 controller for a GPU expire in 2. The ones for a cluster-based GPU? 7 and 9 respectively for AMD and Nvidia. The last time Intel tried was Larrabee, and Nvidia pulled out to avoid having a 3rd financially equipped competitor (Intel historically sucked, but Larrabee was still a big enough improvement to make JSH think twice about letting it have free range with Nvidia IP).

There are other fundamental techs that will last longer, but the big two are related to memory controllers and threading structure for dGPUs, without access to it, Intel is all but powerless. AMD, for all its charity, doesn't license its GPU tech to anyone except Samsung. It builds chips for Microsoft, Sony, and supposedly Nintendo, but in terms of licensing, Samsung is the only one who has external access to Radeon's IP.

So I'm not that familiar with the hardware stuff, some people said the shared FPU and othet stuff isn't that bad for 2 cores. Let's assume the CPU's had 8 modules instead of 4 modoules without shared components, would there be a huge performance boost?

If not I wouldn't care at all as a customer. If yes I def wouldnt by the new Zen CPUs because we don't know what kind of "scam" is incomming.

Not really. People have consistently found that with 1 ALU disabled in each module the IPC increases noticeably, meaning that with 8 modules, with 1 ALU disabled you'd get an approximation of what a real FX 8*** would perform like. Oh and they already exist BTW, they are called Opteron and AMD sells them in the server market.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well that's just rather unfortunate. OHHHH!! A question. Could AMD leverage their massive patent portfolio to generate income?

They could. Neither Rory Read nor Lisa Su have proven competent enough to do so. Either they feared competition would ruin sales (rendering them impotent to Matrox's levels) or they figured more money could be made through exclusivity.

Intel's weakness in GPU technology has always been about IP access since Matrox and 3DFX died off and ATI and Nvidia became the two biggest fish in the sea.

That's like a government selling off assets to make some quick cash-it works in the short term but in the long term they'd get screwed. They could also license out their IP the way Intel did with their earlier architectures (yes, AMD's earlier CPU were made under license from Intel-and they managed to make some really good CPU such as the 386 DX40), however they'd more than likely end up with a rival that'd seriously threaten one of AMD's markets.

PMSL

No. 12 "compute cores" is not a lie. 

I wasn't even trying to say 12 compute cores was a lie. I was trying to say the opposite but I was in a hurry xD 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

They could. Neither Rory Read nor Lisa Su have proven competent enough to do so. Either they feared competition would ruin sales (rendering them impotent to Matrox's levels) or they figured more money could be made through exclusivity.

Intel's weakness in GPU technology has always been about IP access since Matrox and 3DFX died off and ATI and Nvidia became the two biggest fish in the sea.

Lisa looks like she will help AMD way more than Rory. 

Anyone with half a brain would help AMD more than that idiot.

PMSL

Anyone with half a brain would help AMD more than that idiot.

Who spends 350 million on a server company and doesn't even use it rightly.

xD

Well its true, look at all of the retarded things that AMD did because of him (eg. introducing gimped server CPU as consumer and enthusiast grade CPU-everyone should already know how that turned out).

Edit: BTW Dirk Meyer was apparently fired over Bulldozer.

PMSL

Well its true, look at all of the retarded things that AMD did because of him (eg. introducing gimped server CPU as consumer and enthusiast grade CPU-everyone should already know how that turned out).

Apparently he's now the CIO of Dell.....

Apparently he's now the CIO of Dell.....

They're fucked.

PMSL

Edit: BTW Dirk Meyer was apparently fired over Bulldozer.

So he helped AMD's financial death spiral? 

Rory stopped most of the bleeding and fixed up a good deal of the managerial structure flaws AMD suffered,but regardless AMD still has structural problems and is on a debt clock

Rory stopped most of the bleeding and fixed up a good deal of the managerial structure flaws AMD suffered,but regardless AMD still has structural problems and is on a debt clock

Really? I thought Rory did more harm than good...

So he helped AMD's financial death spiral? 

Just look at Bulldozer overall, anyone involved with it effectively destroyed AMD.

PMSL

Just look at Bulldozer overall, anyone involved with it effectively destroyed AMD.

Unfortunate. If engineers were allowed to do whatever they wanted for Bulldozer they probably would have had a very competitive chip. I hear the reason AMD went with CMT was because the management wanted to market "MOAR COREZ AND GHZ!!!!!!!"

Unfortunate. If engineers were allowed to do whatever they wanted for Bulldozer they probably would have had a very competitive chip. I hear the reason AMD went with CMT was because the management wanted to market "MOAR COREZ AND GHZ!!!!!!!"

Hell, if they'd at the very least die shrunk K10 they'd have made a very good competitor to Sandybridge. And the "MAOR COREZ AND GHZ!!!!!!" is exactly the kind of thing that had Intel shitting bricks when they realised that to keep the Pentium 4 competitive they needed to push it to 4GHz and have it consume around 220W of power (kind of like a certain highly binned FX 8350 that AMD tried to sell for nearly $1000 originally-AMD really showed their desperation with that things launch).

PMSL