AMD, any noticeable disadvantages with going for team red?

SamwiseDB

I was looking at an Athlon 860K, as my original plan was the classic G3258/750 Ti, but then I noticed the 860K. For little more than the G3258, you get a quad core @ 3.7GHz. Any major drawbacks for an all AMD system? (all AMD as in processor and GPU)

The worst gamer, in the world

Still haven't got past the first world of Super Mario Galaxy 2

Not really. If you get a good cooler you don't have to worry about your card overheating.

The Athlon is a better all-around CPU than the Pentium, it's a good idea.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

only good this with a Pentium is you can upgrade CPU later to an i5 if you get a good motherboard, With AMD you gonna need a new mobo and new CPU when future comes.

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Mainly the power to performance is the downside. Look at the TDP of an nvidia 970, and then an AMD card with similar performance. the nvidia cards are VERY well optimized. But I run an AMD card because less than 500 bucks for a card with 8GB of videoram is pretty good.

When overclocked, the Pentium beats the Athlon in almost every instance. Overclocking requires a Z97/87 motherboard and cooler though, so overall I'd say it's a tie. I'd always recommend trying to squeeze an i3 into the budget though, if possible.

860K > G3258

Why?

More cores, higher clock speed, higher OCing ability, comparable single core performance, etc...

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

860k + R7 370 = Win.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Also, upgradeability. Are there any noticeably faster CPUs on the FM2/FM2+ platform? Or will I need to go for an AM3+ for a new chip?

If I need a new mobo to upgrade, I might as well just upgrade to an intel eventually.

Mainly the power to performance is the downside. Look at the TDP of an nvidia 970, and then an AMD card with similar performance. the nvidia cards are VERY well optimized. But I run an AMD card because less than 500 bucks for a card with 8GB of videoram is pretty good.

"optimised" if you mean by omitting A-sync cores, then yeah.  

Also, upgradeability. Are there any noticeably faster CPUs on the FM2/FM2+ platform? Or will I need to go for an AM3+ for a new chip?

If I need a new mobo to upgrade, I might as well just upgrade to an intel eventually.

This is def my bias seeping through, but I am personally waiting for Zen. When do you plan on upgrading your CPU?

What I said would be great as a budget starter but yes, for something faster that's not an APU you'd need to upgrade to Intel.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats