Titan X SLI (x2), I7-6700k and still low performance

Go to solution Solved by Aendy,

hm, gsync would adjust the fps on your monitor to those on your gpu, so normally, that wouldn't take any effect on fps on your gpu, but why not try disabling it.

Other than that, im pretty much running out of ideas... I'd like to see how well one GPU (and both) run GTA V with fraps (i myself with my gtx970 am getting around 60 FPS @1050p and almost max settings) in a normal case, you should at least hit your 144fps on any of your GPUs

Hello everyone,

I am having some issues with my New PC build that doesn't show\give me expected performance.

I did build my new PC few days ago and after trying it out on few games I am not getting the performance I was expecting to get. I have read some other people performance (that have Titan X) all around the internet and they are getting better fps on high settings with weaker CPUs.

My Specs: 
Titan X SLI (x2)
I7-6700k Skylake (4.0Ghz)
Asus VIII Hero
16GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz

BenQ XL2420G (144Hz)
(ask for more)(Nothing is OC)

Problem is that I am getting 20 FPS in Rust, 50 FPS in Arma II and around 320 FPS in CS GO (Have changes fps_max to 999). Everything is maxed out and V-Sync is off in the games and the self control panel as well. Yes I know 320 FPS is a lot and I have only 144Hz monitor but some people are getting the same FPS with GTX 960s... So something seems wrong..

I have updated all the drivers and updated BIOS as well. Have tried resetting BIOS and reinstalling Nvidia drivers in safe mode with DDU and nothing helped.. at the moment I am out of ideas. 

I know Rust is still in alpha but still.. I should get better performance.. right? Arma II with 50 FPS is not bad either but my friend with GTX 980 gets over 90 FPS with same settings..

I am just curios if I am doing something wrong or I just expect too much.

Ask for more info if needed. Thanks for help and sorry for bad English since it's not my native language.
Regards,
MrxWho

Uninstall your current Nvidia driver, and find 353.62 for your operating system, it's one of the best & most functional drivers out right now.

Also a tiny CPU overclock would help massively, as all of those games are quite CPU intensive at 1080p.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Check your gpu and cpu usage when running games. Also, check the temperature of your cpu - if it's very high you may have installed the cooler improperly causing a loss of performance due to thermal throttling. The gpus may also be overheating depending on your case's airflow and on how close they are (you should really have gone for 980tis with an aftermarket cooler)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hello everyone,

I am having some issues with my New PC build that doesn't show\give me expected performance.

I did build my new PC few days ago and after trying it out on few games I am not getting the performance I was expecting to get. I have read some other people performance (that have Titan X) all around the internet and they are getting better fps on high settings with weaker CPUs.

My Specs: 

Titan X SLI (x2)

I7-6700k Skylake (4.0Ghz)

Asus VIII Hero

16GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz

BenQ XL2420G (144Hz)

(ask for more)(Nothing is OC)

Problem is that I am getting 20 FPS in Rust, 50 FPS in Arma II and around 320 FPS in CS GO (Have changes fps_max to 999). Everything is maxed out and V-Sync is off in the games and the self control panel as well. Yes I know 320 FPS is a lot and I have only 144Hz monitor but some people are getting the same FPS with GTX 960s... So something seems wrong..

I have updated all the drivers and updated BIOS as well. Have tried resetting BIOS and reinstalling Nvidia drivers in safe mode with DDU and nothing helped.. at the moment I am out of ideas. 

I know Rust is still in alpha but still.. I should get better performance.. right? Arma II with 50 FPS is not bad either but my friend with GTX 980 gets over 90 FPS with same settings..

I am just curios if I am doing something wrong or I just expect too much.

Ask for more info if needed. Thanks for help and sorry for bad English since it's not my native language.

Regards,

MrxWho

Is your PSU giving power to everything?Is the setting ''Power Management Mode'' on Nvidia Control Panel set to ''Prefer Maximum performance?Is Windows Power Option set to Performance?You sure that its not the fact that some games dont take SLI configurations very well?Try w/o SLI.

Shark Rampage V: AMD FX-4350 @ 4.5GHz(1.404 Volts) / Hyper 212 Evo / Gigabyte 750Ti (1405MHz Core,3200MHz Memory @ stock voltage) / Kington HyperX Fury 8 Gigs 1866MHz Dual channel / ASUS M5A97 R2.0 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM / 850Evo 250GB / XFX TS 550w 80+ Bronze Sharkoon VG4-W

*cough*Titanxsareawaste*cough*

Have you overclocked your CPU? CS:GO is heavily CPU dependant cause source engine. Same with Arma II.

If he just cranks everything in ArmA II he would probably still get only 20fps even when running a gt 640 or something as low as that.

ArmA is just in its own world performance wise.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Uninstall your current Nvidia driver, and find 353.62 for your operating system, it's one of the best & most functional drivers out right now.

Also a tiny CPU overclock would help massively, as all of those games are quite CPU intensive at 1080p.

I will try it, thanks for suggestion.

Check your gpu and cpu usage when running games. Also, check the temperature of your cpu - if it's very high you may have installed the cooler improperly causing a loss of performance due to thermal throttling. The gpus may also be overheating depending on your case's airflow and on how close they are (you should really have gone for 980tis with an aftermarket cooler)

CPU under heavy load is running around 30-40°C since I have water cooling. GPUs under heavy load are running around 45-55 °C.

*cough*Titanxsareawaste*cough*

Have you overclocked your CPU? CS:GO is heavily CPU dependant cause source engine. Same with Arma II.

I haven't  overclocked it, no. Didn't thought it's needed. Can try if it helps. Thanks

CPU under heavy load is running around 30-40°C since I have water cooling. GPUs under heavy load are running around 45-55 °C.

what's the cpu and gpu usage like?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Is your PSU giving power to everything?Is the setting ''Power Management Mode'' on Nvidia Control Panel set to ''Prefer Maximum performance?Is Windows Power Option set to Performance?You sure that its not the fact that some games dont take SLI configurations very well?Try w/o SLI.

Yeah I have Corsair HX850i, 850W PSU so it should be enough I think. Will try without SLI, maybe helps. Thanks for suggestion. And yeah have changed both to " Maximum performance"

I am going be back to my work pc in max 3 hours and going to give exact answer. Thanks for helping out

Yeah I have Corsair HX1000i so it should be enough I think. Will try without SLI, maybe helps. Thanks for suggestion. And yeah have changed both to " Maximum performance"

Let us know if something comes up.As for the games you are trying to get good FPS on:Rust is in beta/aplha(idk),it isnt really well optimised,especially for SLI,Arma II I heard its a bit weird with how it handles your setup,and CSGO had some performance problems with the last couple of patches.Try a game like Tomb Raider 2013,or like Witcher 3 and see if you get poor performance there too.

Shark Rampage V: AMD FX-4350 @ 4.5GHz(1.404 Volts) / Hyper 212 Evo / Gigabyte 750Ti (1405MHz Core,3200MHz Memory @ stock voltage) / Kington HyperX Fury 8 Gigs 1866MHz Dual channel / ASUS M5A97 R2.0 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM / 850Evo 250GB / XFX TS 550w 80+ Bronze Sharkoon VG4-W

Let us know if something comes up.As for the games you are trying to get good FPS on:Rust is in beta/aplha(idk),it isnt really well optimised,especially for SLI,Arma II I heard its a bit weird with how it handles your setup,and CSGO had some performance problems with the last couple of patches.Try a game like Tomb Raider 2013,or like Witcher 3 and see if you get poor performance there too.

Yeah Rust is still in Alpha and I don't expect to get some amazing FPS numbers, but just seeing people playing with poor gaming laptops and getting better FPS on High Settings makes me wonder... It's not that I am getting bad performance.. just not good enough as I should get compared approximately to others.. and I will try it out on others games when I am back to the pc. Thanks for help

I don't know if it has anything to do with it.. but for example if i Alt-Tab out of the game (Rust) and start looking at my browser or something I can see that FPS in rust comes up to 120 and even more.. When I Tab back to the game it drops down to 23 and always stays at it no matter what... 

pQQh89d.png

4sqkNDi.png

Hope it answers your questions. Thanks for help!

Hope it answers your questions. Thanks for help!

If that is under load, then we have a problem. As you can see, the second gpu is left basically unused and the first one is underutilized. The cpu is also not getting used much, which is strange for cpu intensive games like arma II. Make sure that SLI is enabled in the drivers (you do have an sli bridge installed, right?) and that the pcie slots are set to their maximum bandwidth in the bios.

I also noticed that your cpu voltage is set very high - it really should not be going over 1.35v, especially since you didn't overclock it. Make sure it is set to stock values in the bios.

Lastly, could you run cinebench (both tests) and record usage while that is running? That way we can see for sure if it's a problem with the games themselves or with the system.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If that is under load, then we have a problem. As you can see, the second gpu is left basically unused and the first one is underutilized. The cpu is also not getting used much, which is strange for cpu intensive games like arma II. Make sure that SLI is enabled in the drivers (you do have an sli bridge installed, right?) and that the pcie slots are set to their maximum bandwidth in the bios.

I also noticed that your cpu voltage is set very high - it really should not be going over 1.35v, especially since you didn't overclock it. Make sure it is set to stock values in the bios.

Lastly, could you run cinebench (both tests) and record usage while that is running? That way we can see for sure if it's a problem with the games themselves or with the system.

I was running Rust for my "load" and since the game is not SLI supported maybe that's why second GPU wasn't running at so high performance? SLI is enabled and SLI bridge is connected as well or otherwise I wouldn't get the option to activate it. 

I will check all the BIOS options now as well.

And I will run cinebench now and will post results as soon as possible. Thanks for help 

CPU:

n7qqssc.png

Byt7ZMt.png

GPU:

6HVmvTe.png

Hmm under that test only one GPU should work?

LAojFgp.png

Results:

e6QEONJ.png

KDaRecw.png

Arma is poorly optimized is why.  xD

True.. but still should get better performance than I do now,

Unless the games are running at 4k and up then you only need 1 Titan enabled while gaming.  And, even 1 is just plain overkill at any lower res.

And this build wasn't about how much it's going to cost so yeah..

CPU:

GPU:

Hmm under that test only one GPU should work?

Results:

True.. but still should get better performance than I do now,

And this build wasn't about how much it's going to cost so yeah..

The cpu seems to be fine, but the gpus aren't being utilized properly for some reason. SLI is obviously working because the vram is being copied across the cards. I think cinebench uses one card at a time, so it's normal that the second card would be inactive - but it's not normal that the first card would run at 35% and 52% max. Just to double check, try unigine valley.

Have you made sure the pcie slots are running at full speed in the bios? Try resetting CMOS to see if that does anything (simply shut down the pc and remove the battery on the motherboard for 10-15 sconds).

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

in what way is the 353.62 better than the 358.50?  Will my gtx 980 perform better with 353.62 with games like gta V?

in what way is the 353.62 better than the 358.50?  Will my gtx 980 perform better with 353.62 with games like gta V?

Some drivers/updates/patches are better done than others. For example last CS:GO updates have improved one thing but things as FPS have dropped for some people. Same thing here if you know what I mean. (at least that's how I understand it)

The cpu seems to be fine, but the gpus aren't being utilized properly for some reason. SLI is obviously working because the vram is being copied across the cards. I think cinebench uses one card at a time, so it's normal that the second card would be inactive - but it's not normal that the first card would run at 35% and 52% max. Just to double check, try unigine valley.

Have you made sure the pcie slots are running at full speed in the bios? Try resetting CMOS to see if that does anything (simply shut down the pc and remove the battery on the motherboard for 10-15 sconds).

Hmm... I took few screenshots and it shows that I have over 150 FPS... but it's when I alt-tab out of it.. when I am in full-screen mode it's running at 20-25 FPS.. same thing with Rust, when I tab out I get over 100 FPS, tab back in and it drops back to 23 FPS and doesn't go higher or lower.. and yeah... % is just sad to look at..

Result:

QpAu5QS.jpg

It's not 150 FPS.. it's actually 23..

TQUksuP.png

Can't explain this at all...

7PdPAuu.jpgDid run on Max as well

Will reset CMOS now and will check again BIOS settings and will let you know the rest. Thanks a lot for helping me out, appreciate it. 

Tried everything everyone else said and it's only CMOS reset left. Will do it now...

Have tried it now. Did clean driver uninstall in Safe Mode and reinstalled the drivers to the version you told me to.. still GPUs were working low percentage. 

Thanks for helping me

Tried everything everyone else said and it's only CMOS reset left. Will do it now...

Have tried it now. Did clean driver uninstall in Safe Mode and reinstalled the drivers to the version you told me to.. still GPUs were working low percentage. 

Thanks for helping me

Knowing that it only happens in fullscreen actually tells us a lot - now we know it's probably not a problem with your cards or your cpu, but something with either the driver (probably not since you reinstalled it) or the os itself - if cmos reset does nothing it might be a good idea to reinstall windows, sometimes it screws up like that (don't ask me why)

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

At this point, you may want to contact Nvidia for support. It looks like we've covered almost every possible fix, I don't know what else could be the problem.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Knowing that it only happens in fullscreen actually tells us a lot - now we know it's probably not a problem with your cards or your cpu, but something with either the driver (probably not since you reinstalled it) or the os itself - if cmos reset does nothing it might be a good idea to reinstall windows, sometimes it screws up like that (don't ask me why)

So I am back after CMOS reset and nothing changed. GPUs are still running "low" so as you say something may be wrong with my Windows 8.1 64bit....

Since my PC doesn't have CD Rom and I installed my Windows with USB and after that needed to install all the drivers manually.. I may have forgot something. Could you give some advice how should I do it. (MB: MAXIMUS VIII HERO) Before I was installing Chipset first..

drqt2JQ.png

Then Audio:

QRenrtp.png

LAN:

1pAnBME.png

And last graphics.. that's actually the only things I installed -.- ... any corrections? or suggestions?