New upgrade or starting from scratch?

AleX_Ferri

Hi guys,

Lately I've been watching for too long tech videos and I'm starting to have the urge to do something with my actual rig... but I still don't know exactly what.

Should I buy one from scratch? Should I just update this one?

The thing is that I've just bought a new monitor, so I won't be playing any time soon in a higher resolution than 1080p and 144fhz.

This is my actual config:

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($342.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Monitor: AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($349.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $942.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-02 09:24 EST-0500

I've bought the 970 a year ago and it's the only upgrade I've done so far.

What do you think? I use the PC just to play games, I don't edit nor stream online. Just gaming and media content (movies and so).

As usual, thanks guys for your help and useful knowledge :D

If you want to do something, water cooling is always an option along with overclocking. You could also do something like a case mod.

Uhmm..

If you truly want to you can get a 850w EVGA GS and add in a R9 Fury along with like an AIO Liquid Cooler. Like the NZXT x61 Kraken. Maybe an SSD for faster boots or load times

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

The only thing I'd really recommend in the future is an upgrade to new intel architecture. Your current cpu is great, but in the future I'd go for a haswell, broadwell, or skylake chip. At this point I'd just go for A 6600k or something similar.

And maybe an SSD.

If you do upgrade, I'll offer you $60 for the motherboard (assuming it's still 100% functional). I need to replace the crap HP stock my 3770 is using right now.

Whether or not you should upgrade, the 1155 socket is not going to have any decent upgrades or new feature support, although in terms of raw power you're fine. So upgrade would make the most sense from a price/performance standpoint, but not for features.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Get an ssd

CPU:Intel Core i3 3210 Mobo:MSI B75MA-E33  GPU:Intel 2500 HD Graphics  SSD:Adata SP600 128gb  HDD:Seagate 1tb 7200rpm  

PSU:Corsair CX430   Case:Antec ASK4000bU3  Monitor:Dell S2240l 21.5 inch 1080p

Well well, first of all big THANK YOU for the lightning quick responses.

Apparently I'm getting a new SSD upgrade!

Any specific suggestion? Since I already have a 1tb HDD and an external 2tb HDD I won't be buying a big one. However... I might be installing games in it as well, so... 500gb? Too big?

Any specific model that I should consider?

Any specific suggestion? Since I already have a 1tb HDD and an external 2tb HDD I won't be buying a big one. However... I might be installing games in it as well, so... 500gb? Too big?

Crucial BX100 250GB

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

Bx100 series. Also, would recommend a 390 over the 970.