Controller VS Keyboard & Mouse for FPS Games

NobodyTheThird

I think people are assuming I am new to PC gaming. I use keyboard & mouse for some games and a 360pad for others. Can't people understand that not everyone prefers the same method?

I can accept that some people prefer it fine it has its pros but in fps a mouse and keyboard is superior since you can be way more accurate with a mouse whilst still being able to turn a gunfight on someone who is shooting from behind with a quick flip of your wrist with a controller you have to compromise between your aim and how fast you can turn

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

The only time I exclusively use my controller  is for fighting games. 

I prefer using my keyboard + mouse for most other games, however I have to say that I love how the trigger buttons articulate acceleration/ braking and steering in racing games.

Someone open a window! Too much elitism up in here.

it isn't elitism like logan would say "we don't think we're better we know we're better" just for the record I don't actually think I'm better but a mouse and keyboard is superior for fps and I don't really think its opinion

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

The only times I use a controller is when I play a game via an emulator, although some of them i play with my keyboard, or games like super meat boy where a controller is actually more comfortable to use.

For PFS I don't understand how people can prefer a controller.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Welp, my question has went unasked and this thread has devolved. I wash my hands of this elitist nonsense. Good day.

The way I like to put it, is that imagine there's five potential skill levels. With a controller you can only reach up level 3, but no higher no matter how good you are. With a mouse you can go all the way to level 5. Of course if you prefer to use a game pad then you prefer to use a game pad. Nothing wrong with that. If you spend more time with a game pad you will be better with it than with a mouse. However, someone experienced with mouse will demolish you.

Welp, my question has went unasked and this thread has devolved. I wash my hands of this elitist nonsense. Good day.

I think I speak for everyone when I say we aren't but mad and you're starting to seem like a troll looking for a flame war

Your question was answered. You asked why people get mad when someone says they prefer a controller over a keyboard/mouse, and the consistent answer was that the keyboard/mouse was better. You're complaining about elitism, yet you're replying to anyone who says a mouse/keyboard is better and disagreeing with them.

Well here's some objectiveness then. When anyone refers to a First Person Shooter, multiplayer is always implied. Stretching out the definition of FPS to just First Person, Minecraft could be involved, except it is single player. I don't think anyone here who sides with keyboard + mouse would say there's anything wrong with using a controller for Minecraft. That is because it's for the most part, single player.For any multiplayer, and therefore PVP FPS games, player/team skill wins the game. But for the majority of all FPS played with controllers, aim assist is involved. That's like saying in an Olympic 100m swim race, everyone had flippers. It's still fair since everyone gets the same flippers, but incorporating that into the race makes it seem less legitimate.

This is the perspective that most people have if they side with keyboard and mouse (I think).

I've heard the "comfort" many times as you previously stated and that is a legitimate reason to go with a controller. For casual gamers (I really don't mean that as an insult), that would be good enough. People find it hard to understand that. I think what most people are "butthurt" about is when someone says that controllers are better than keyboard + mouse, which clearly it's not. Saying this becomes implied advice to many gamers who are not just casual gamers. Big titles for FPS are Battlefield + CoD which are both "try hard"/competitive games. (Imagine how the CoD Championships were to go if the players had mice instead of controllers. The pinpoint accuracies of the MLG players would be EPIC.)

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Every one said why mouse is better

But the appeal for the keyboard hasn't been answered

CPU: A10-5800K, GPU: 7660D, RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x 4GB 1600Mhz, PSU: Rosewill Stallion series RD500-2SB 500W, Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35, HDD: WD 10EZEX 1TB Blue, Case: Rosewill Line-M mAtx

Every one said why mouse is better But the appeal for the keyboard hasn't been answered

The ability to do multiple things at once. You can't jump, look around, and reload on a controller all at the same time. You can on a keyboard and mouse.

Well really the only essential things are to move and reload

And even then, some people like me will press sometimes the wrong buttons (I have a bit of experience)

CPU: A10-5800K, GPU: 7660D, RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x 4GB 1600Mhz, PSU: Rosewill Stallion series RD500-2SB 500W, Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35, HDD: WD 10EZEX 1TB Blue, Case: Rosewill Line-M mAtx

Well really the only essential things are to move and reload And even then, some people like me will press sometimes the wrong buttons (I have a bit of experience)

They're the "essential" things, but I remember back in my SoF2 days, it'd be quite common to crouch, lean and strafe around a corner, to make yourself as small a target as possible as you entered a room.

I also think pushing keys is better for things like double-taps. The thought of trying to play k-style in GunZ with a controller is nightmarish.

Then the keyboard also has more buttons in general, but then you include modifier keys and well...It's not surprising menu UIs tend to differ between console ports and PC exclusives. On a keyboard you have 18 keys in the area around the movement keys, but then a whole lot more that can be used for immediate access to a menu, as opposed to the sub-menus system that consoles tend to use where you have 1-2 menu keys at most, which then need to be navigated by going up and down the options one at a time.

Besides autoaim there's another key thing that is different between pc and console games. Or two other thing. One is hitboxes. I've seen pic by some gaming site that had hitboxes from same game in console and pc. In console hit boxes are 1m*1m*2m around player. In pc hitboxes are just or little smaller than player. So accuracy is more important than in console. This is made like by devs, since they know that ppl will use controllers mainly with consoles. And thats why pc gamers rage when netcode is bad and hitboxes are somewhere else than just in head/torso.

Like most guys say it's a matter of preference. I gamed on Xbox 360 for quite a while and always turned off any assists possible since they were more annoying than useful. It takes skill to play FPS or any game in particular using a mouse + keyboard and same with a controller since you are limited to how accurate you can be. I know some of you may disagree about my view about controllers but if in right hands, some gamers can be insanely accurate with them. I gamed on PC ever since I was 5 so I guess I got too sucked into PC to stay with consoles for too long. Anyhow not gonna tire you with my life story xD

I would really like to see battle where pro with gamepad playes against pro with mouse+kb. My prediction is same than with cs1.6 vs css nac´tchup in csgo showcase. When game is harder to play, palyers are better.

I think people are assuming I am new to PC gaming. I use keyboard & mouse for some games and a 360pad for others. Can't people understand that not everyone prefers the same method?

You asked our opinion. take it like a man.

I think this is good conversation about this subject. Whas is this 'elitism' u talk of?

Every one said why mouse is better But the appeal for the keyboard hasn't been answered

I bought controller for racing and flying in pc. When I was configing keys to it, there where more thing than buttons. If sticks don't count, my controller has 15 button I can bind. Kb, maybe 25 if keys use to move around don't count.

For me using controller in fps would be insanely hard task. I've tried it on console, but aiming was ao hard when sight moved too slowly on short range and too fast on long range. Something like joystick would maybe feel better.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Personally I prefer using a keyboard and mouse for FPS games, but hey, to each his own.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr 3 @ 1150 MHz core/6300 MHz memory | Motherboard: Some crap OEM H67 mATX board | RAM: 16GB Patriot G2 Series Division 4 @ 1333 MHz | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i | Mouse: CM Storm Inferno | Keyboard: crap OEM keyboard (Soon to be replaced with a CM Storm Quickfire TK) | Headphones: Audiotechnica ATH-M50's | Speakers: Corsair SP2500's

There really is no competition here. Mouse an keyboard is far better. Some people to prefer controllers though so you can't bash them for it.

Fractal Design Define S, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz, Noctua NH-D14, Asus Sabertooth Z77, EVGA 980Ti SC+, 4x8GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz, EVGA P2 1000W, Creative sound blaster Z, 2xSamsung 850 120GB RAID 0, 2xWestern Digital Caviar Black 1TB Other stuffs: BenQ XL2411t, LG Flatron M2262D, Ducky Shine 3, Logitech G400s, Steelseries QCK Heavy, Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm, Shure SE215, Blue Snowball

I've played Borderlands 2 with both Mouse/keyboard and controller. Controller was godawful and my response times were just ... blah. Particular control issue I had was the sprint/movement being tied to one joystick; often found the sprint to plain not work while pressing down on the joystick and trying to move around. Aiming was even worse.

Thought it was just lack of practice, but I'm not convinced. I have a friend who plays BL2 on PS3 and claims to have Aim assist disabled, which I'm calling bullshit.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

For me, nothing beats the accuracy and speed of a KB + mouse combo for FPS and 3PS games. But for hack and slash and fighting games, nothing beats a controller. I'd gotten a wired MS XBOX 360 controller because playing Darksiders 1 and 2, as well as DmC with KB + mouse is rather unsatisfying, but hella fun with a controller.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2