Controller VS Keyboard & Mouse for FPS Games

NobodyTheThird

Why do people get buttmad when you say you prefer a gamepad over a keyboard and mouse for First Person Shooters on PC? I don't get it. Is it just that PC elitist mindset?

Personally, I prefer keyboard and mouse over anything, even for racing games, it is just personal preference.

Why do you think there's aim assist on consoles but not on PC? You have the aiming radius of like 2cm with the stick, while a mouse can go anywhere on a mousepad, thus being more accurate. Whoever prefers controllers for FPS games hasn't played with a mouse for long enough.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Using a controller to play FPS is sort of hard to aim for me. I only use my controller when I am playing a racing game.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Controller in most cases = autoaim and that is instant fail by most people standard. Pressing ex. R1 to autoaim and actually move mouse to aim is 180 degree. When i hear a friend "dude i finished [game name]". Im like cool it was easy then. And he will reply "nah man it was hard to move with controller" and i ALWAYS say "b*tch you were running with autoaim; no wonder you finished that fast". He getting mad and says "soooo?". Controller is good for racing/sport/fighting games.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Why do you think there's aim assist on consoles but not on PC? You have the aiming radius of like 2cm with the stick, while a mouse can go anywhere on a mousepad, thus being more accurate. Whoever prefers controllers for FPS games hasn't played with a mouse for long enough.

"Whoever prefers controllers for FPS games hasn't played with a mouse for long enough." This is what I mean.

I like using a 360 controller because it is more comfortable, I don't have to be close to my PC, and I like the triggers. Mouse-click vs trigger-pull.

"Whoever prefers controllers for FPS games hasn't played with a mouse for long enough." This is what I mean.

I like using a 360 controller because it is more comfortable, I don't have to be close to my PC, and I like the triggers. Mouse-click vs trigger-pull.

for fps games a controller is really inferior and is quite dependant on auto aim however I can see the benefit if you want to relax and play in bed or on a sofa but for online especially you will be at a disadvantage

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

Like most guys say it's a matter of preference. I gamed on Xbox 360 for quite a while and always turned off any assists possible since they were more annoying than useful. It takes skill to play FPS or any game in particular using a mouse + keyboard and same with a controller since you are limited to how accurate you can be. I know some of you may disagree about my view about controllers but if in right hands, some gamers can be insanely accurate with them. I gamed on PC ever since I was 5 so I guess I got too sucked into PC to stay with consoles for too long. Anyhow not gonna tire you with my life story xD

for fps games a controller is really inferior and is quite dependant on auto aim however I can see the benefit if you want to relax and play in bed or on a sofa but for online especially you will be at a disadvantage

"for fps games a controller is really inferior" <--opinion

I rarely play online. But I have had 0 issues with online play with a 360pad.

Like most guys say it's a matter of preference. I gamed on Xbox 360 for quite a while and always turned off any assists possible since they were more annoying than useful. It takes skill to play FPS or any game in particular using a mouse + keyboard and same with a controller since you are limited to how accurate you can be. I know some of you may disagree about my view about controllers but if in right hands, some gamers can be insanely accurate with them. I gamed on PC ever since I was 5 so I guess I got too sucked into PC to stay with consoles for too long. Anyhow not gonna tire you with my life story xD

"in right hands, some gamers can be insanely accurate with them" finally, someone not in denial

"for fps games a controller is really inferior" <--opinion

I wouldn't say its opinion I think a controller has its pros like being able to lay back and relax and play and racing games seem to be good on a controller but aiming with mouse is way easier and more accurate I played console for most of my life and switching to pc my aim was better with a mouse in a month than it ever was with a controller

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

I wouldn't say its opinion I think a controller has its pros like being able to lay back and relax and play and racing games seem to be good on a controller but aiming with mouse is way easier and more accurate I played console for most of my life and switching to pc my aim was better with a mouse in a month than it ever was with a controller

My aim is always better with a 360pad. Experience.

You can do multiple things at once with a keyboard and mouse. You can look around, jump, reload, and move at the same time.

On a console you would have to move your thumb from the stick to get to the buttons.

What if somebody behind you is shooting at you, and you only have a split second to turn around and shoot back? On a console, your sensitivity would have to be incredibly high to turn around quick enough, making it impossible to play effectively because of how high your sensitivity would be. You could just move your hand really quickly if you had a mouse, even if you had a low sensitivity.

exactly its experience that adds to it but on a mouse you can make more precise movements since you have a larger area than the space a thumbstick can move if you gave mouse and keyboard a try for long enough im pretty sure your aim would be better than it was on a controller

exactly its experience that adds to it but on a mouse you can make more precise movements since you have a larger area than the space a thumbstick can move if you gave mouse and keyboard a try for long enough im pretty sure your aim would be better than it was on a controller

I snipe better with a controller than with a mouse.

If you spend 10000 hours with a controller and 5 minutes with a mouse then obviously you'll be way better with the controller.  I used to play mostly console and started playing on pc and was able to pick up using mouse and keyboard in a few hours.  Now I am way more accurate with a mouse than I ever could have been with a controller.  If I try to play a console game with friends now I can't aim for shit, even if I play for a long time.

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

I snipe better with a controller than with a mouse.

you're completely missing the point

You can do multiple things at once with a keyboard and mouse. You can look around, jump, reload, and move at the same time.

On a console you would have to move your thumb from the stick to get to the buttons.

What if somebody behind you is shooting at you, and you only have a split second to turn around and shoot back? On a console, your sensitivity would have to be incredibly high to turn around quick enough, making it impossible to play effectively because of how high your sensitivity would be. You could just move your hand really quickly if you had a mouse, even if you had a low sensitivity.

What if one was used to and could play at high sensitivities?

What if one was used to and could play at high sensitivities?

then your accuracy is reduced

I think people are assuming I am new to PC gaming. I use keyboard & mouse for some games and a 360pad for others. Can't people understand that not everyone prefers the same method?

then your accuracy is reduced

I don't see how it could be possible to play at max sensitivity with a controller without aim assist.

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

I understand this and for bf3 I tried with my keyboard and my normal actions aren't as fluid or comfortable for that matter. I usually crouch/sprint the whole time and on a controller it is much more ergonomic and I'm used to joysticks by now. Maybe if I play more fps with my keyboard and mouse I'll get used to it but I've always been more of a console gamer :P

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

I can say, with almost 100% certainty, that someone who is good with a mouse/keyboard will always beat someone who is good with a controller.

The controller being inferior is not an opinion, it is an obvious fact. You have significantly more control over your movements with a mouse than you do a controller, regardless of how much experience you have with the controller. The way they combat the lack of control is by using auto-aim for controllers (in most FPS console games, if you spam the aiming button the game will practically aim for you).

You have the right to express your opinion on which you prefer using, but saying a controller is better than a mouse/keyboard or even comparable in terms of control and aiming ability, is just absurd.

I can say, with almost 100% certainty, that someone who is good with a mouse/keyboard will always beat someone who is good with a controller.

The controller being inferior is not an opinion, it is an obvious fact. You have significantly more control over your movements with a mouse than you do a controller, regardless of how much experience you have with the controller. The way they combat the lack of control is by using auto-aim for controllers (in most FPS console games, if you spam the aiming button the game will practically aim for you).

You have the right to express your opinion on which you prefer using, but saying a controller is better than a mouse/keyboard or even comparable in terms of control and aiming ability, is just absurd.

Nobody said a controller was better.