Futureproof of gtx 970 vs r9 390

ELECTRX

Yo mama so fat...

/jk

Yo mama so skinny, she prolly has 128-bit bus :P

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Even tho 390's raw performance is faster i think ill stick with the 970 as nvidia's software is better, unless I can be proved wrong

Even tho 390's raw performance is faster i think ill stick with the 970 as nvidia's software is better, unless I can be proved wrong

Which software?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Ignore double post :B

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Drivers and optimisations...

The fight is between a bit more vram advantageous at the 4gb vram range and driver optimisation solutions

The fight is between a bit more vram advantageous at the 4gb vram range and driver optimisation solutions

Currently - the drivers are not an argument as both sides are pretty much the same, funnily enough we get more complaints about Nvidia drivers these days but don't take my word for it

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

If you've seen amd drivers recently. You would have known how far they have come. The experience I have with amd and Nvidia drivers is no different. And most games are pretty optimized, just don't be foolish to turn on a feature not meant for your card. Search up some gameworks games and look at the benchmarks without gameworks turned on and you'll see, both will perform similarly.

Anyhow, the 970 is a good card. Just wanted to clear the misconception.

If you've seen amd drivers recently. You would have known how far they have come. The experience I have with amd and Nvidia drivers is no different. And most games are pretty optimized, just don't be foolish to turn on a feature not meant for your card. Search up some gameworks games and look at the benchmarks without gameworks turned on and you'll see, both will perform similarly.

Anyhow, the 970 is a good card. Just wanted to clear the misconception.

But i heard info that amd is sh!t as it only releases driver updates maybe twice a year compared to much more from nvidia

But i heard info that amd is sh!t as it only releases driver updates maybe twice a year compared to much more from nvidia

They've released 2-3 drivers just in october I believe

EDIT: 15.5 was in may

15.6 was in june/july

15.7 was in june/july

15.7.1 was in july/august

15.8 was in august

15.9 was in september

15.9.1 was in september/october

15.10 was in october

Omega driver coming soon.

As with most things on the Internet, don't always trust what you see/hear. The post above should show you that. If it was that bad, I wouldn't have bought my 390x.

Not only does AMD send out new drivers pretty frequently, but the last 2 Windows 10 updates have, last nights gave me a frame in Valley.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

R9 390 is more "futureproof". But If you already have a gtx 970 then don't buy a R9 390. It's not worth it. Only good if you could trade your 970 for the 390. If you're looking to get an upgrade, get something that is better than your current gpu in atleast ~40%. You might want to buy anoher gtx 970 but selling your current gpu and buying a single gtx 980ti is a better option.

390 supports DX12_0 entirely (which is the lion's share of DX12 technology), and has over twice the memory. the 390 currently beats a 970 in DX11, and matches a 980 (and sometimes closes in on a 980ti) in DX12. Even though no graphic card is future proof, the evidence (more like common sense) shows that the 390 is far more future "resistant" than a 970.

The efficiency argument is for people that cannot afford a high end gaming rig to begin with, and amounts to a few extra dollars difference per year, and AMD drivers have been more stable than Nvidia drivers for at least a year now, and Nvidia have to release multiple drivers for each game because they handle optimization completely in driver software, while AMD handles most everything in hardware with only minor touch-ups in drivers.

Unless you live in an area where the 390 price is super inflated, there is little reason to choose the 970 over the 390. You could argue CUDA software, but then why aren't you buying a professional card or a used GK110? most implementations of physX run on the cpu only, and Gameworks has so far proven to be a performance disaster for both sides. You have to be wearing green colored glasses to ignore all the facts.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Sweet as then, I think I'll pick up a fan with it

Actually, I just realised that Sapphire suggests a 750W power supply

Will my 650W be okay?

Actually, I just realised that Sapphire suggests a 750W power supply

Will my 650W be okay?

Which 650w? What model?

A good 650w is more than enough even after overvolt+overclock unless you're using AMD FX proc overclock to 5+ jiga hertz.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |