Best Metal for DIY CPU Waterblock?

I am looking to make a custom waterblock for a cheap liquid cooling loop in my system. Initially, I was going to repurpose an old aluminum sink into the block, but a quick hop into the Interwebs made me hesitate. As far as I can tell, the debate is fairly evenly divided between two metals - aluminum and copper. I'd like to know which metal performs better in actual builds as a waterblock, and any tips or guides the community has for projects like this.

PLEASE NOTE: I don't want raw data about the metals themselves. Only actual performance, price, ease of working with, and other factors which will matter in my situation. Also, I am aware of the advantages/disadvantages of DIY waterblocks, so there's no need to try and change my mind. 

Thanks for any and all advice.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Top metals for heat transfer in order;

Silver

Copper

Aluminum

*edit

fixed the order of metal, I typo'd.  :mellow:  and to add the link of my source.

http://www.qats.com/cms/2010/10/18/which-material-offers-the-best-thermal-conductivity-for-heat-sinks-and-thermal-management-applications-part-1-of-2/

Common units of thermal conductivity are W/mK and Btu/hr-ft-oF.

Material         Bulk Conductivity (W/mk)

Silver, Pure         418.0

Copper 11000         388.0

Aluminum 6061 T6     167.0 

Zinc, Pure           112.2

Iron, Cast            55.0

Solder, 60% Tin       50.0 

Titanium              15.6

Thermal Grease, T660   0.90

Fiberglass             0.040

Air, stp               0.025

*2nd edit 

Removed some bad info I was misinformed on.

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I am looking to make a custom waterblock for a cheap liquid cooling loop in my system. Initially, I was going to repurpose an old aluminum sink into the block, but a quick hop into the Interwebs made me hesitate. As far as I can tell, the debate is fairly evenly divided between two metals - aluminum and copper. I'd like to know which metal performs better in actual builds as a waterblock, and any tips or guides the community has for projects like this.

Yep, aluminum and copper are the only two metals for this kind for application that make any sense. Aluminum cheaper and easier to work with when compared to copper, but copper conducts heat better.

People get this mixed with electrical conductivity;

Gold

Copper

Aluminum

Silver

Wrong, Silver has the highest electrical conductivity out of the elemental metals. Gold is used for contacts since it is very non reactive and thus exposure to the air will not degrade it's thermal conductivity over time, unlike copper for example.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/resistivity-conductivity-d_418.html

BAM!

Wrong, Silver has the highest electrical conductivity out of the elemental metals. Gold is used for contacts since it is very non reactive and thus exposure to the air will not degrade it's thermal conductivity over time, unlike copper for example.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/resistivity-conductivity-d_418.html

BAM!

Interesting, I had read that silver though being the highest thermo-conductive was not the best electrical conductive material. I don't remember now off the top of my head when that was but I looked at your link and did some other searching sure enough your right.

I was misinformed. Thanks for that bit of input. I will correct my post.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Thanks for that bit of input.

Yeah I also used to think gold was better in those applications, University prof quickly shot that down.

On topic though, aluminum is generally a better option for machining since it is such a commonly used metal, the alloys have been tweaked to machine quite easily, Pure copper will not be great but there are certain copper alloys which behave better than aluminum in terms of thermal conductivity while being 'free cutting' for the most part.

Yeah I also used to think gold was better in those applications, University prof quickly shot that down.

On topic though, aluminum is generally a better option for machining since it is such a commonly used metal, the alloys have been tweaked to machine quite easily, Pure copper will not be great but there are certain copper alloys which behave better than aluminum in terms of thermal conductivity while being 'free cutting' for the most part.

I always knew that aluminum was a more common metal for this use for the none/less reactive properties. Hence the nickel plated copper sinks but i always wondered how much an effect the plating has on the heat transfer... I am told it isn't much or enough to make a difference.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Honestly you're not going to do any better either $ or performance wise vs. something like http://www.aquatuning.us/water-cooling/cpu-water-blocks/cpu-water-blocks/15702/phobya-cpu-cooler-uc-2-lt-intel-775-1150-1151-1155-1156-1366-2011-silver-nickel-black-edition?c=6465

$32, the finishing of the nickel isn't amazing but it's $32.  It's what I use on my server that's under constant 80%+ load.

Aluminum is the easiest to machine.  Copper supposedly chips in a weird way unless it's a certain alloy (I think).

You can't make a waterblock out of pure silver because mechanically silver is crap.  The Aquacomputer Kuplex .925 silver one is just that...925 silver which is barely any better than copper.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)