Wikileaks Insurance Torrent

As many of you know, Wikileaks has posted some questionable material which may or may not have been illegal to do so. To cover their tracks they encrypted 349GB of data in case anything would happen to them in the near future which was posted several times on their Facebook page. This was first seen when hacker "SuperDAE" released a 1.7TB torrent when he was arrested in June. Could this be linked to Snowden and the NSA? Whatever it is it's obviously quite significant and has the possibility of harming whoever's content is inside.

44L29.png

Original article: http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/08/what-could-be-in-wikileaks-giant-349gb-insurance-file/

The point of this being file redundancy?

There isn't a whole lot you can do about encrypted data other than have many copies of it on multiple hard drives in case their database is raided.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

they have to be atleast 20 char long

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

would it be considered illegal to download those torrents since its "secrets"

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

There isn't a whole lot you can do about encrypted data other than have many copies of it on multiple hard drives.

I have a feeling that they may release the decryption key if anything were to happen to them.

I have a feeling that they may release the decryption key if anything were to happen to them.

The point of no return.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

It's data that companies would let you have, therefore they must have had unauthorized access to their servers, therefore violating the Computer Misuse Act. So maybe.

There isn't a whole lot you can do about encrypted data other than have many copies of it on multiple hard drives in case their database is raided.

This is generally the idea about "insurance" when it comes to files and "secrets"^

Basically, they release the file to be downloaded by many many people. Then they set it up to where if their server does not "phone home" to wherever the decryption key is kept, after a certain period of time, the key is made public and the data can be decrypted and released.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Well if they have nothing to lose, why not?

Or nothing left to lose.

Well, if it is all encrypted, you never really know what it contains, so i would say no

Well the FBI or someone similar said that it was only illegal if they looked at the private data so collecting it is fine. Therefore you should be fine if you just download it but don't open it:D (FBI or NSA logic)

Well, if it is all encrypted, you never really know what it contains, so i would say no

so its like movies

its only piracy if i watched xD

It's only illegal if you LOOK at the data, not to collect it. ;)