Can I Buy A Different Cooler On My GPU?

Made In Canada
Go to solution Solved by themaniac,

Im looking at buying a gigabyte GPU, however, the custom windforce cooler with a blue LED will not match my disired color scheme on the build.  Is there any way i can change the cooler or at least sand off the blue LED?

Any help is appreciated.

well you can take off the cooler shroud and paint it and/or remove the led

Im looking at buying a gigabyte GPU, however, the custom windforce cooler with a blue LED will not match my disired color scheme on the build.  Is there any way i can change the cooler or at least sand off the blue LED?

Bonus, if i do change the cooler and am able to add a backplate (unless a new cooler would have one), that would be nice.

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by Made In Canada

The Canadian Version Of Everything

-Made In Canada

Depending on your skill and confidence level, you can definitely customize the provided cooler or even replace it entirely

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Any help is appreciated.

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Any help is appreciated.

Which gigabyte GPU is it? 

My Gtx 970 windforce logo is blue, which didnt suit my build either, there are tutorials online showing how to replace the Blue LED's for other coloured ones however it requires very very basic soldering. Otherwise, im pretty sure you can actually turn off the LED through software too.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

I believe someone else on the forum made a post about sanding off the blue layer. Will try to find it

Edit: you have to physically change the led, which may be tricky since they are very small.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1519475/gigabyte-g1-gaming-geforce-gtx-960-970-980-led-swap

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Bonus, if i do change the cooler and am able to add a backplate (unless a new cooler would have one), that would be nice.

Any help is appreciated.

This guy did it. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Any help is appreciated.

How does one exactly... sand off an LED?

|| Case: Corsair Graphite 230T || CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K || CPU Cooler: Corsair A50 || Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE 3X || Motherboard: ASUS Z87-PRO ||

|| RAM: ADATA XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) || Storage: Seagate 600 SSD 240GB, WD Black 1TB || PSU: XFX Pro 650W Core Edition || OS: Windows 10 Pro || What's an optical drive? ||

I believe someone else on the forum made a post about sanding off the blue layer. Will try to find it

I think that was for the PNY/stock cooler... The windforce one has colored LEDs glowing through clear plastic.

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Remove it?  Like the weird part that sticks out?  (its an older version).

-Made In Canada

with sand paper

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Depending on your skill and confidence level, you can definitely customize the provided cooler or even replace it entirely

Oh the relief, this is good to know, Thank You.

-Made In Canada

Think he means the colored layer. Its the method that the reference nvidia cooler does the green logo. By sanding it off, you can get it to become white.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Which gigabyte GPU is it? 

My Gtx 970 windforce logo is blue, which didnt suit my build either, there are tutorials online showing how to replace the Blue LED's for other coloured ones however it requires very very basic soldering. Otherwise, im pretty sure you can actually turn off the LED through software too.

780ti

-Made In Canada

I think that was for the PNY/stock cooler... The windforce one has colored LEDs glowing through clear plastic.

Yeah I was mistaken. I found the tutorial I was thinking about, but you have to replace the led itself...

Remove it?  Like the weird part that sticks out?  (its an older version).

the shroud is the cover over the heatsink and fans, and to remove it all you have to do is remove the screws

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

This guy did it. 

Seems a little much for me, that is more of a last try effort in my case.

-Made In Canada

780ti

Im fairly certain those have actual blue LED's as opposed to white with a blue paint, you will have to try unsolder the current ones and re-solder the correct type LED with the colour you wanted. Otherwise you could just turn off the LED through software, 780Ti isnt too old so im assuming you can. Otherwise you could just physically unplug the LED cable which is plugged into the GPU pcb.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

That or you take some spray paint and completely cover the led lol.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

This was what i thought too and why im consered.

-Made In Canada

Yeah I was mistaken. I found the tutorial I was thinking about, but you have to replace the led itself...

Okay, Thank You for trying.

-Made In Canada

the shroud is the cover over the heatsink and fans, and to remove it all you have to do is remove the screws

Okay, Thank You.

-Made In Canada

Im fairly certain those have actual blue LED's as opposed to white with a blue paint, you will have to try unsolder the current ones and re-solder the correct type LED with the colour you wanted. Otherwise you could just turn off the LED through software, 780Ti isnt too old so im assuming you can. Otherwise you could just physically unplug the LED cable which is plugged into the GPU pcb.

Okay, Thank You.

-Made In Canada

That or you take some spray paint and completely cover the led lol.

This works too.

-Made In Canada

Thank You Everyone For All The Help And Sorry If I Did Not Thank You Personally.

-Made In Canada