The Safest Browser Is...

I watched a video Logan did the other day saying it's stupid to use that so I can't tell if you're troll or not lol.

Protips: Logan is the stupid one here, and so are you for taking what he says seriously.

Anyway, Tor is not a browser, TBB is a browser (Firefox) with some addons preinstalled. Firefox stable can be more secure than TBB if you configure it yourself with for example NoScript.

I guess it depends on what you mean by secure as well. Some might consider privacy security, some might consider no known security holes security, some might consider blocking harmful attacks security.

The article doesn't seem that good to be honest. It says that Chrome checks downloaded executable files for malware as if that's anything special, when Firefox does that as well. There are also a ton of other reports which shows that IE is often one of the least secure browsers out there. This test only shows that if you visit a known infected site, IE will block it. It doesn't show that IE might have serious security holes that can be taken advantage of, or how serious the things it blocked might be. It doesn't show false positives either.

I swear Logan did a video saying tor had been compromised

If he did then he was wrong. If you ran an outdated version of TBB, on Windows, with JavaScript turned on, and visited some particular sites, you could be tracked. Tor itself was not compromised, and anyone who is serious about privacy shouldn't do any of those things anyway.

A browser is as safe as the user. Meaning no browser is "safe" on its own. Its how you use it which determines how safe it actually is. If you're an idiot that clicks on everything that moves on the internet, more likely than not you'll get a virus or some kind of malicious software on your machine that wants to screw you over.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

U can say that, but then again, if ur using Tor as a safe browser, u arent an exit node. Unless u are an exit node, yea good luck with that. (all traffic is routed to the exit nodes)

And in a video Logan did he mentioned over 50% of those exit nodes were hosted by FBI etc. (not sure what corporations monitor this stuff, I live in Australia) 

Resulting in arrests of people who share illegal content over the Tor network. It's not as secure as you think it is.

And in a video Logan did he mentioned over 50% of those exit nodes were hosted by FBI etc. (not sure what corporations monitor this stuff, I live in Australia) 

Resulting in arrests of people who share illegal content over the Tor network. It's not as secure as you think it is.

Who said Tor was meant for illegal content...they deserve the arrest then  :P

Its meant for PRIVACY...

Also, u cant find trace it back to the original person. 

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

That's not really how Tor works. Even if the exit nodes are controlled by let's say the NSA, they still can't see whom is accessing what. If Logan said that, then he doesn't understand how Tor works and you should not listen to him.

I am getting sick and tired of his spewing misinformation about everything.

Its stupid to use? Link please.

Well there was someone using it and he was doing something illegal and he got caught since he was using it.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

Its stupid to use? Link please.

Protips: Logan is the stupid one here, and so are you for taking what he says seriously.

Anyway, Tor is not a browser, TBB is a browser (Firefox) with some addons preinstalled. Firefox stable can be more secure than TBB if you configure it yourself with for example NoScript.

I guess it depends on what you mean by secure as well. Some might consider privacy security, some might consider no known security holes security, some might consider blocking harmful attacks security.

The article doesn't seem that good to be honest. It says that Chrome checks downloaded executable files for malware as if that's anything special, when Firefox does that as well. There are also a ton of other reports which shows that IE is often one of the least secure browsers out there. This test only shows that if you visit a known infected site, IE will block it. It doesn't show that IE might have serious security holes that can be taken advantage of, or how serious the things it blocked might be. It doesn't show false positives either.

If he did then he was wrong. If you ran an outdated version of TBB, on Windows, with JavaScript turned on, and visited some particular sites, you could be tracked. Tor itself was not compromised, and anyone who is serious about privacy shouldn't do any of those things anyway.

http://youtu.be/URv9h8oTkP0?t=14m6s

I personally haven't watched the second one.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

Chrome is high up there though. That said, I'm fairly positive Google would give out anyone's search history if some gov. asked for it... That doesn't make me stop using it, it's the best one I've used so far, and Firefox is my 2nd favorite!

the government of my country asked for the email history of some persons including her self to resolve an email scandal and google said no 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

[snip]

Yes like I said, you were only affected if you use an outdated version of the TBB (nothing happened to Tor, just the Tor Browser Bundle), and only if you were on Windows, and only if you had JavaScript active. What happened was that the Firefox version an older version of TBB was based on had a security hole which enabled people to run a JavaScript to see your real IP.

That the exit nodes are owned by FBI does not really affect the users, only the ones who own servers which use HTTP. They can see which website *someone* accesses, and maybe the content they accessed (depending on if it was over HTTP or HTTPS), but they don't know who requested it or where it will be sent afterwards.

Logan seem to imply that the exit node can see both the receiver and the sender, which is false. The exit node can only see the last hop. So for example, if I were to let's say watch a YouTube video over Tor, then the exit node would be able to see that *someone* accessed YouTube, and that *someone* watched let's say Baby by Justin Beiber. They do not know who requested this video though.

To create a private network pathway with Tor, the user's software or client incrementally builds a circuit of encrypted connections through relays on the network. The circuit is extended one hop at a time, and each relay along the way knows only which relay gave it data and which relay it is giving data to. No individual relay ever knows the complete path that a data packet has taken. The client negotiates a separate set of encryption keys for each hop along the circuit to ensure that each hop can't trace these connections as they pass through.

Once a circuit has been established, many kinds of data can be exchanged and several different sorts of software applications can be deployed over the Tor network. Because each relay sees no more than one hop in the circuit, neither an eavesdropper nor a compromised relay can use traffic analysis to link the connection's source and destination.

Yet again, Logan talks about something he doesn't really understand.

Tor provides you an anonymous id, what is safer than that? It is really difficult (have not tried, but I can imagine) to track back those anonymous IPs and associate them with someone specific... I use them to watch British online tv in Spain xd (have to reset connections about 6 times before getting an English host). On top of that you need to personally install every plugin you need to use (java, shockwave, flash). The point of you not having that by default is just to provide safety online... So, is it the safes browser, probably. Is it the quickest, most efficient, most supported? Definitely not.

Edit: I can see government hosting tor waypoints lolz

"anonymous":