Official: WD to acquire Sandisk.

4ndrew

This seems great for WD in terms of SSDs, I just hope they don't screw up SanDisks memory cards!

This merger can be so good as well as so awful.  Just imagine the possibilities of 2, 3 and 4 TB SSDs and larger hybrid HDDs.  LIke others I hope they don't touch San Disks USB and memory cards, they are the best of the industry in performance and speed.

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i

Seagate - "You can't replace HDDs, we'll be relevant in the future."

Western Digital - "Yea good luck with that."

You do know Seagate invested in SSDs long before WD, right? Their first SSD was released around 2008, and they own what used to be Sandforce.

I think most people will switch to SSD's, even enterprises, before there is price parity between the two tech, as SSD's are much faster and uses less power.

Unless you are a content creator, needing 4TB is highly unlikely. Sure you can fill it up with all sorts of crap, but is there a need for it?

I think it would take some time for people adopting SSDs but right now i need storage more than speed.

I need 4TB+ or more just for my uses..not even a content creator yet need a lot of storage.

This is really interesting, I'd love to see a WD ssd!

Then buy a Sandisk SSD now, it'll be the same thing :P

I think it would take some time for people adopting SSDs but right now i need storage more than speed.

I need 4TB+ or more just for my uses..not even a content creator yet need a lot of storage.

hentai_o_779993.jpg

J/K.

If you buy a mid/high end laptop today it comes with an SSD. Maybe an SSHD, but mostly SSD's, so it's already happening. People then might have an external HDD or some sort of NAS based on HDD's.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

hentai_o_779993.jpg

J/K.

If you buy a mid/high end laptop today it comes with an SSD. Maybe an SSHD, but mostly SSD's, so it's already happening. People then might have an external HDD or some sort of NAS based on HDD's.

Except a NAS would cost more than just plugging in a Sata 1/2TB HDD on my motherboard...

Except a NAS would cost more than just plugging in a Sata 1/2TB HDD on my motherboard...

Oh of course, but I was mostly talking about laptops. Desktops are for gamers, workstations and cheap pc's for companies.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Yes but im saying you could get a 120gb ssd and a 1tb hdd for around $100 vs the hybrid for $130-$140

you are paying for the engineering and really you dont have any other choice if you have a laptop with a single 2.5 slot 

Entering an over saturated market seems risky. I hope they have something revolutionary. 

Entering an over saturated market seems risky. I hope they have something revolutionary.

Sandisk is already an established SSD manufacturer. WD acquiring them doesn't affect market saturation other than that WD will now collect any profits instead of Sandisk.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I loathe SanDisk's lack of ethics in releasing unfinished technology to market just to be first. IMO it's a bad move by WD, unless they plan to uproot their pipeline. SanDisk is THE worst company in storage, especially in memory cards but they also had a disaster with their "ReadyCache" branded SSD line of products.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Yay, though honestly I don't see this changing the day to day runnings of SanDisk. They're an extremely profitable company, so I imagine it'll keep running the way it always has. It's not like they were going bankrupt and WD bought out their assets to use as their own. I imagine we won't really see much of a change in the way the two companies operate.

Think of it as a VAG, Lamborghini situation. You might see some sharing if you look deep, but on a whole they're basically separate companies.

Personally not happy with this :(

Why?

actually, i pointed out for @Captain_WD that their Black2 drive was a tad overpriced... dunno if it has any real correlation, but at the time it was $192 on PPP, now its down to $130-$140....

When they first came out they were like $299 haha but hmm $130 is still a bit much I think. I feel like a 120gb ssd and a 1tb hdd could be bought for around or less than $100 I could see a 240gb and 1tb hdd hybrid be good for around the $130 range

Except you can't fit those two drives in a single 2.5" space, and that's why it exists and has a premium attached to it.

It's not overpriced at all.

They bought another SSD maker a few years ago, but never bother with it, it's like buying something and then throwing in the closet to let it rot.

Not at all. They bought it and it'll continue to run, they'll simply enjoy the huge revenue boost.

This merger can be so good as well as so awful.  Just imagine the possibilities of 2, 3 and 4 TB SSDs and larger hybrid HDDs.  LIke others I hope they don't touch San Disks USB and memory cards, they are the best of the industry in performance and speed.

You won't see huge SSD's just because they took over.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Yay, though honestly I don't see this changing the day to day runnings of SanDisk. They're an extremely profitable company, so I imagine it'll keep running the way it always has. It's not like they were going bankrupt and WD bought out their assets to use as their own. I imagine we won't really see much of a change in the way the two companies operate.

Think of it as a VAG, Lamborghini situation. You might see some sharing if you look deep, but on a whole they're basically separate companies.

Why?

Except you can't fit those two drives in a single 2.5" space, and that's why it exists and has a premium attached to it.

It's not overpriced at all.

Not at all. They bought it and it'll continue to run, they'll simply enjoy the huge revenue boost.

You won't see huge SSD's just because they took over.

true, Captain_WD pointed that out to me, in return i told him it is a great product for the HTPC/steambox/NUC market, where you have like 1-4 storage slots at most, and you cannot always (sometimes due to cable management constraints) use all 4 ports in the really really really compact cases....

Sandisk is already an established SSD manufacturer. WD acquiring them doesn't affect market saturation other than that WD will now collect any profits instead of Sandisk.

SanDisk was struggling from market saturation. WD would have to bring something new to the table. 

SanDisk was struggling from market saturation. WD would have to bring something new to the table. 

It's probably pretty safe to say that they've thought this through. Plus, them buying Sandisk doesn't actually change the current market saturation.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Why?

Don't know... I just don't feel like it will go well. Who knows, I hope I'm wrong :)

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Ah, I hope I'm not digging up an old thread, but I really hope nothing happens to SanDisk. They're my favorite company for flash drives, flash cards, and SSDs (Yeah, I know Samsung is a better deal, but I'm biased towards SanDisk for how high quality their flash is in my experience). I also have a SanDisk Extreme Pro and Extreme 2 SSD and they still run extremely fast and stable to this day. I hope that SanDisk enters the NVMe market. Also really curious how NVMe will supercharge their FusionIO enterprise PCIe SSD lineup.

They bought another SSD maker a few years ago, but never bother with it, it's like buying something and then throwing in the closet to let it rot.

All large companies do this :(

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

And then they go bankrupt and go like  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Whats more annoying is that If I buy or hold a patent that's useful I will get arrested and prosecuted for Patent Hoarding. But when a company buys another for the parents they own... thats fine.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I can't help but feel this will be great for both companies involved... I've always liked WDs product line up, but they've always been slightly average with their SSD attempts and haven't really been doing much in this space. Whereas Sandisk to my knowledge has been great in the SD/CF and SSD space so the acquisition will likely ensure WDs future with a lot of workflow and storage options moving to SSDs in consumer and commercial space. 

They make good SSDs, WD make good HDDs.... It makes sense.