i5-6600k rebranded i5-4690k?

Oink!

I just came back to the LTT forums (was away since I finally build my own PC), and saw the new i5-6600k is out. I did some research and the only difference I saw was a slight performance increment and DDR4 memory support.

Any new features I'm missing out on?

Thanks in advance,

The Slimy Pig.

Nope. Its just that. same as what happened with the previous movements 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

lol no, it's not rebranded.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

No it's built on 14nm Tri-Gate along with a DDR4 IMC and a modified/improved graphics architecture and slight efficiency changes on the CPU design.

its better yes, but not worth upgrading, you cant always have the latest and greatest 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

They changed the locating cut outs and put a new sticker on it. And my Z97 board has both SATA Express and M.2. *shots fired*

If anyone asks you never saw me.

It's faster, Z170 has more features like M.2 and Sata Express.

Nope. Its just that. same as what happened with the previous movements 

New architecture. It adds DDR4 support, more PCI-E lanes (if I remember correctly) and a general all round improvement to the previous architecture including a slight IPC and thermal improvement.

lol no, it's not rebranded.

Well, the main difference is that fact it is a new architecture completely.

No it's built on 14nm Tri-Gate along with a DDR4 IMC and a modified/improved graphics architecture and slight efficiency changes on the CPU design.

Thanks lads!

(jk)

its better yes, but not worth upgrading, you cant always have the latest and greatest 

Not planning on upgrading at all. I think I spent enough money on my first build. :P

I'll probably upgrade in a 2 years time.

Not planning on upgrading at all. I think I spent enough money on my first build. :P

I'll probably upgrade in a 2 years time.

Great plan. Skylakes are awesome processors and theses are the first ones. In a year or two there will be new MOBOs to take advantage of the better Skylakes, and maybe even a Skycanyon (or something similar)

What about the iGPU?  Skylake is also based on 14nm vs 22 of Haswell. 
There are two things that say against it. 
(Now, the CPU part could be very similar since it is shrunk allowing for more IGPU so...)

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

Great plan. Skylakes are awesome processors and theses are the first ones. In a year or two there will be new MOBOs to take advantage of the better Skylakes, and maybe even a Skycanyon (or something similar)

The only stuff I should focus on should be a new monitor and water cooling for my CPU.

I'm probably the only one who reverted back to Haswell, I didn't like Skylake that much.

If it helps I could have gone Skylake but didn't. Same with the GPU. I'm not an early adopter, too many bad times.

That already existed before Skylake was released.

Yes because all cheap Z97 boards had them..

Well ja, they do.

The question was "Any new features I'm missing out on?".

You said Z170 has more features, like M.2 and SataExpress, which isn't true, because Z97 had those features aswell (SataE even on H97)

If you would have written that these have become easier available, than that would've been true.  ;)

Sorry, I'm German. I have to do that...  :rolleyes:

The question was "Any new features I'm missing out on?".

You said Z170 has more features, like M.2 and SataExpress, which isn't true, because Z97 had those features aswell (SataE even on H97)

If you would have written that these have become easier available, than that would've been true.  ;)

Sorry, I'm German. I have to do that...  :rolleyes:

I didn't know Z97 had these all in mainstream boards, my bad.