How to use your existing PC as a wifi extender.

dukethedj

This does create a new network. IDK how to merge the router and PC's SSIDs together. Maybe try renaming your SSID to the routers??

This is mostly within Windows. (Thanks, @W-L)

1) Use a PC with wifi. You can use this for your nomal PCing, or buy a cheap windows xp or higher pc. Just make sure it can get good range in the room you are extending to.

2) Download Microsoft Virtual WiFi http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/994abd5f-53d1-4dba-a9d8-8ba1dcccead7/ and install it

3) Download these batch files and unzip them. These setup the SSID and password.: http://www.mediafire.com/download/j179vl1h7ja9f0l/Virtual+Wifi.zip

4) If you want, you can change the SSID and password in the ON.BAT file

5) Right click on ON.BAT and run as admin. Add this to your startup folder.

6) Go to network and sharing settings in the Control Panel and select the network you want to extend.

7) Click on Properties and the Sharing tab. Check the checkbox

8) Select the network you created. It should be the one on the bottom in the list.

Now go onto the network you created and your wifi is now extended.

You are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.

To go even cheaper in my house I use a few cheapo random $20USD android phones to create a separate network for speed and one for range and it works fairly well. And for my pc I use 4 phones and ethernet port to link aggregate them together for crazy fast speeds at low prices.

To go even cheaper in my house I use a few cheapo random $20USD android phones to create a separate network for speed and one for range and it works fairly well. And for my pc I use 4 phones and ethernet port to link aggregate them together for crazy fast speeds at low prices.

Great idea. Sadly, I dont have android phones lying around so I am using my Dell Latitude D530 with an upgraded wifi card in the garage. Its not great, but it works.

You are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.

Great idea. Sadly, I dont have android phones lying around so I am using my Dell Latitude D530 with an upgraded wifi card in the garage. Its not great, but it works.

Yeah ;) I do a decent bit of xda dev work so I happen to have random phones that I am working on all around my room and house. It's actually quite funny and a mess at the same time.

You could always just install PFsense as a bridge if your running it 24/7 or just get a $20 asus rt-n16 and put dd-wrt on it

Running another virtual network through windows "works" but your going to get awful network performance and range :P 

I tried this and I'm getting a "Limited" connection. Know how to fix this?

linus is the overlord

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, how are you doing the bridging on Android?

My Ultrawide Festival Semifinalist Entry (elected by UnboxTherapy):

My Ultrawide Festival Entry for the Finals:

If you are going to hate it for no reason, stay away. but if you really do, tell me why, you will help me on improving my style.

• 1 month later...

well ubuntu gnome features an extender version by default. and it doesnt create a new network!

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.