multiple instances of raid 0 at once?

TwoFace

Note: first time PC builder... be gentle

i feel kinda dumb asking some of these questions but i think this might be the right place to ask them. so, i am working on this enthusiast grade build and i have bought two SSDs (samsung 850 evo 250gb) that i plan on putting in raid 0 (i have been told this is overkill but i would like to do it anyway :P) for my boot drive. i also would like to have a 4tb mass storage drive of some sort but i cant make up my mind on how i want to do it... so i suppose my first question would be: Can you run two instances of raid 0 at the same time... those being two 850 evo SSDs in one configuration and two 2tb WD reds in another? a follow up question would be: would it be better just to replace the two WD reds with a single 4tb drive? and if so what 4tb drive would you recommend? i have been looking at these two specifically (i would prefer not to break $200)

amazon.com/dp/B00FJRS5BA/ref=psdc_1254762011_t3_B00EHBERSE

amazon.com/HGST-Deskstar-3-5-Inch-Internal-0S03664/dp/B00HHAJRU0/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1445227515&sr=1-1&keywords=hgst+4tb

i am open to constructive criticism as well... maybe also some of your personal experience with anything in this area would be nice :) thanks

Oh yeah.  My friend has two RAID 0 drives as boot, another 2 drives in RAID 0 for games accelerated by an SSD, and some other drives too iirc

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

F1Gqi3N.jpg

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

~snip~

Hey there TwoFace,

RAID0 does indeed provide a significant boost to the sequential read/write speeds of the drives. It does not, however, provide any redundancy and if a drive in the array happens to fail or drop out you'd lose all the data on the whole array. Your boot times might actually be longer compared to a single SSD boot since the system needs to first initialize the array and then start the boot sequence. I'd go with a single larger (500GB) SSD. :)
Regarding the second part of your storage, it's really up to what you are going to do with it and if you really need the extra speed in expense for the data loss risks. WD Red drives are great for RAID arrays but I would still strongly recommend having backups of your data on external storage places. If you don't need high performance secondary storage I would recommend checking out WD Green drives as they work pretty quiet, save energy and are great for massive non-demanding storage. Here's some more info: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=YYT7XT

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/