FiiO E10K loudness equalization?

Go to solution Solved by rattacko123,

Thanks you for all your replies.
It turns out that you can use loudness equalization using VST plugins. I followed this tutorial:

It's not perfect, but it's highly customizable, and it works pretty well, but I'm getting a little bit of clipping on loud audio sources. I think i can use this method when I get my new DAC. I decided to buy the ODAC and the Objective 2 from massdrop, the dual outputs on the ODAC was too good to resist :P
heres a pic of my settings if ur interested

EDIT: couldn't upload pic ;(

I currently use loudness equalization quite a lot with my current sound card but I am having driver issues and I want to get a portable and driverless external DAC.

I am thinking about getting a FiiO E10K since it is fairly cheap and driverless. I am just wondering, does the FiiO E10K and other driverless DACs have loudness equalization in the sound settings in windows? I tend to use loudness equalization quite a lot and find it useful.

thanks

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

No. The good news is, you'll have a physical volume knob, which obviates the need for such a feature.

no

not at all

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No. The good news is, you'll have a physical volume knob, which obviates the need for such a feature.

Yeah, physical knobs are great, quick and easy volume adjustment

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

no

not at all

Yeah, physical knobs are great, quick and easy volume adjustment

Thanks Guys.

I have decided to go with the audioengine D1 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19169 since it has a better DAC and it's available in Australia. The FiiO E10K has to be shipped from Japan if I want to get it to Australia. The Audioengine D1 is only about $60 more expensive and it has a volume knob as well, so I can do quick and easy sound adjustments.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Thanks Guys.

I have decided to go with the audioengine D1 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19169 since it has a better DAC and it's available in Australia. The FiiO E10K has to be shipped from Japan if I want to get it to Australia. The Audioengine D1 is only about $60 more expensive and it has a volume knob as well, so I can do quick and easy sound adjustments.

Cool. The D1 seems decent, if a little pricey. Shouldn't be an issue if it works out for you.

-snip-

turns out theres a good deal for the objective 2 and ODAC on massdrop. It costs an extra $100, do you  think it's worth it? Im already considering something twice the price of what I was originally going to get lol

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-odac

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-o2-amplifier

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

turns out theres a good deal for the objective 2 and ODAC on massdrop. It costs an extra $100, do you  think it's worth it? Im already considering something twice the price of what I was originally going to get lol

If you can afford it, it's an okay value.

If you need it now it's not a good idea, those aren't shipping for a long while.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Thanks you for all your replies.
It turns out that you can use loudness equalization using VST plugins. I followed this tutorial:

It's not perfect, but it's highly customizable, and it works pretty well, but I'm getting a little bit of clipping on loud audio sources. I think i can use this method when I get my new DAC. I decided to buy the ODAC and the Objective 2 from massdrop, the dual outputs on the ODAC was too good to resist :P
heres a pic of my settings if ur interested

EDIT: couldn't upload pic ;(

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

If you can afford it, it's an okay value.

I can afford it, I managed to squeeze it into my budget for the computer upgrade that I'm gonna get soon. I ordered it today :)

If you need it now it's not a good idea, those aren't shipping for a long while.

I think I can wait until December, my sound card issues aren't that bad.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

• 1 month later...

I finally got my odac+o2, and it's pretty good, although it doesn't really sound much better than my sound card, I can detect an increase of soundstage. Turns out that it has loudness equalization but its pretty shit, it lowers loud sounds for some reason which makes music sound really bad, I calibrate my audio so that loud sounds are just bearable (not ear raping) and loudness equalization just makes it quieter so that its now too quiet ;(. I have not experienced a better loudness equalization than dolby htv4. dolby htv4 brought the quiet sounds to a good level and the loud sounds were pretty much untouched.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

using loudmax with vsthost works really well, I don't notice any distortion so far and quiet sounds are a lot louder

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

I switched from vsthost to savihost. I kept on having really weird latency issues with vsthost, so hopefully a lighter vst client will help.

EDIT: Nope, still have latency issues. My Latency increases to something like 3 seconds after a while :(
I need to try something different from vsthost, but im not sure which one to use.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook