windows OEM on a new machine

i have a dell laptop which had windows vista on it when I purchased it

later on I got a free upgrade to windows 7 home premium

now my motherboard has some problems and i have to buy a new system

can i reuse the windows on the new pc i buy?(I have the key and OS discs with me  both vista and windows 7)

since my laptop was from dell I assume it is OEM

is there any way to know whether the installation is OEM??

LEWIN, on 16 Oct 2015 - 06:43 AM, said:

i have a dell laptop which had windows vista on it when I purchased it

later on I got a free upgrade to windows 7 home premium

now my motherboard has some problems and i have to buy a new system

can i reuse the windows on the new pc i buy?(I have the key and OS discs with me  both vista and windows 7)

since my laptop was from dell I assume it is OEM

is there any way to know whether the installation is OEM??

OEM no, Retail yes!

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

It says OEM on the windows genuine sticker.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

But give it a try.

Follow this procedure.

http://www.howtogeek.com/124286/how-to-uninstall-your-windows-product-key-before-you-sell-your-pc/

And use that key to activate, Use phone activation on new computer. It'll work.

At least it worked in my case.

But used a Windows 7 Pro key from Sony Laptop to a custom PC without any problem.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

But give it a try.

Follow this procedure.

http://www.howtogeek.com/124286/how-to-uninstall-your-windows-product-key-before-you-sell-your-pc/

And use that key to activate, Use phone activation on new computer. It'll work.

At least it worked in my case.

But used a Windows 7 Pro key from Sony Laptop to a custom PC without any problem.

Can you tell me what you told when you phoned for activation and to which phone number did you call?

Can you tell me what you told when you phoned for activation and to which phone number did you call?

Phone activation means you don't have to talk to the agents.

It'll tell you activation ID after you input the installation ID. It's automated one.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Phone activation means you don't have to talk to the agents.

It'll tell you activation ID after you input the installation ID. It's automated one.

which customer care number did you call?

which customer care number did you call?

• Open Windows Activation by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, right-clicking Computer, clicking Properties, and then clickingActivate Windows now.

• Click Show me other ways to activate.

• Type your Windows 7 product key, and then click Next.

• Click Use the automated phone system18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

• Click the location nearest you from the drop-down list, and then click Next.

• Call one of the available phone numbers listed. An automated system will guide you through the activation process.

• When prompted, enter the installation ID that's listed on your screen into your phone's keypad.

• Write down the confirmation ID that the phone system gives you.

• Type the confirmation ID into the space provided under Step 3 in the activation dialog, click Next, and then follow the instructions.

• If activation isn't successful, stay on the line to be transferred to a customer service representative who can assist you.

Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/activate-windows#1TC=windows-7

• Open Windows Activation by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, right-clicking Computer, clicking Properties, and then clickingActivate Windows now.‌

• Click Show me other ways to activate.

• Type your Windows 7 product key, and then click Next.

• Click Use the automated phone system18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

• Click the location nearest you from the drop-down list, and then click Next.

• Call one of the available phone numbers listed. An automated system will guide you through the activation process.

• When prompted, enter the installation ID that's listed on your screen into your phone's keypad.

• Write down the confirmation ID that the phone system gives you.

• Type the confirmation ID into the space provided under Step 3 in the activation dialog, click Next, and then follow the instructions.

• If activation isn't successful, stay on the line to be transferred to a customer service representative who can assist you.

Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/activate-windows#1TC=windows-7

Thanks for the great advise and patience Kamesh

Thanks for the great advise and patience Kamesh

Anytime! That's why we're here for! :)