Windows 10 upgrades reportedly appearing as mandatory for some users

Mr_Troll

Microsoft wants to force people to upgrade to windows 10 apparently.

winupdate-100622022-large.jpg

Microsoft is reportedly making it harder for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users to avoid the upgrade to Windows 10.

Some users now claim that they no longer see an option in the Control Panel to install updates to their current version of Windows. Instead, a message says that the “upgrade to Windows 10 is ready,” and prompts users to “restart your PC to begin the installation.” Another user claims to have seen a countdown timer for installing Windows 10, with an option to reschedule but no way to call off the upgrade entirely.

win10upgrade2-100622021-large.jpg

Both upgrade tactics were reported by Josh Mayfield, whose GWX Stopper program is designed to eliminate Microsoft’s Windows 10 update notifications. In a blog post, Mayfield said GWX Stopper can’t help users who’ve seen either of the above dialogs. (The post was first spotted by ZDNET.)

If the reports are accurate and not due to user error of some kind, it’s yet another case of Microsoft trying to ramp up Windows 10 adoption by coercion rather than incentive. Microsoft has previously confirmed that it automaticly download Windows 10 instalation files without users’ permission, occupying as much as 6GB of storage space in a hidden folder. Slyly executing the installation would be the next logical step.

We’ve reached out to Microsoft for comment, but have yet to hear a response.

Lol. Called it. Was just a matter of time. Microsoft turning into Skynet rofl.

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2993381/windows/windows-10-upgrades-reportedly-appearing-as-mandatory-for-some-users.html

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-upgrade-nags-become-more-aggressive-offer-no-opt-out/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

they want to invest everything in to windows 10, i can understand that. they dont want to spend time and resources on something they consider as outdated. it wont be long before it goes the way of the XP 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

that happens if you set windows to "automatically download and install updates"

once it downloads windows 10 it prompts you to restart for installation

you can go into the windows update settings and turn the "automatically download and install" setting off

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Windows prompts me to install 10 every update cycle now, you have to manually select updates to avoid this.

Lord of Helium.

hey, come on, MS is jesus, they would never do anything bad. they're just giving something truly awesome from to bottom of their hearts ignoring profits and all, and all of you ingrates can do is complain about it? you monsters! MS is you only trying to give you the best of the best, how didn't upgrade before this is beyond me.

/s

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I'll upgrade my laptop from windows 7 as soon as they fucking fix their OSs bloody horrible design issues. Lessen the app and flat metro style bullshit, and give us Aero back. 

I WANT MY FUCKING WINDOWS 7 AERO STYLE. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE.

I'll upgrade my laptop from windows 7 as soon as they fucking fix their OSs bloody horrible design issues. Lessen the app and flat metro style bullshit, and give us Aero back. 

I WANT MY FUCKING WINDOWS 7 AERO STYLE. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE.

Youll be surprised how quickly one starts to appreciate the modern design. Going back to 7 feels like going back to the stone age...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Youll be surprised how quickly one starts to appreciate the modern design. Going back to 7 feels like going back to the stone age...

I have been using windows 10 on my desktop since release I have gotten used to it and don't mind it. But dayum a slightly updated Aero design would be great. For some reason the flat 2D design of Microsoft never tickles my fancy like the nice and bright Windows 7 design. Anyways it is totally and aethetic choice and preference imo and it wouldn't hurt to at least have the option, because to me the flat is what feels like a throwback to the stone age of early windows. 

I have been using windows 10 on my desktop since release I have gotten used to it and don't mind it. But dayum a slightly updated Aero design would be great. For some reason the flat 2D design of Microsoft never tickles my fancy like the nice and bright Windows 7 design. Anyways it is totally and aethetic choice and preference imo and it wouldn't hurt to at least have the option, because to me the flat is what feels like a throwback to the stone age of early windows. 

Yeah its a preference, would be nice to have an aero option there, but i wouldnt use it personally. I think their design language right now works great across all devices, and it really shines on the PC.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Should only pop up for people that have automatic updates enabled, whereas Windows 10 would be a simple, automatic update. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

hey, come on, MS is jesus, they would never do anything bad. they're just giving something truly awesome from to bottom of their hearts ignoring profits and all, and all of you ingrates can do is complain about it? you monsters! MS is you only trying to give you the best of the best, how didn't upgrade before this is beyond me.

/s

I don't want to be an example of your sarcasm, but I'm going to be an example of your sarcasm.

Windows 10 is superior and should be embraced.

U install the 2 bs kb updates tha are for updating windows 10 and it goes away