Can we do a LTT game jam?

as96

I think it could be fun, maybe around christmas so people will most likely have more spare time, and we could use the LD 48 rules but maybe with more/less time.

What do you think? Was this ever done before here?

What's a game jam?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_jam

http://ludumdare.com/compo/

Basically we pick a theme, and we have to make a game following that theme in a small amount of time, any language, library and engine is allowed.

In the end people judge the games and pick a winner, in our case the winner will win well... nothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_jam

http://ludumdare.com/compo/

Basically we pick a theme, and we have to make a game following that theme in a small amount of time, any language, library and engine is allowed.

In the end people judge the games and pick a winner, in our case the winner will win well... nothing.

bad idea if it's over the internet imo

for one I have tons of unreleased 2d games of different genres that can be used for this thing. So I'm probably guessing that I'm not the only one here who's in the same situation a headstart can make a HUGE difference. 

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

bad idea if it's over the internet imo

for one I have tons of unreleased 2d games of different genres that can be used for this thing. So I'm probably guessing that I'm not the only one who has that. A headstart can make a HUGE difference. 

The game need to be from scratch, since you will not win anything there is no reason to cheat.

The game need to be from scratch, since you will not win anything there is no reason to cheat.

That's my point, how the hell would you know if a game was made from scratch?

People can easily lie over the internet and doctor videos/images/properties/datestamps here and there.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

People can easily lie over the internet and doctor videos/images/properties/datestamps here and there.

It hasn't ever been a problem in real life applications, 

So I take it wouldn't be much of an issue....

There's a fine line between a game jam title and a month-long developed.

We can find out.

The LD has the same rule set and it's really popular, the goal is having fun nothing else.

Cheating will get you nothing since there is no prize, just ruin the fun of it for you.

It hasn't ever been a problem in real life applications, 

So I take it wouldn't be much of an issue....

There's a fine line between a game jam title and a month-long developed.

We can find out.

hmmm you have a point but what if someone decides to copy some stuff over?

The LD has the same rule set and it's really popular, the goal is having fun nothing else.

Cheating will get you nothing since there is no prize, just ruin the fun of it for you.

well for this

61736263.jpg

an event will always have more participants if there's something you can brag about after all your efforts

Ehh, I think its kinda dumb

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

hmmm you have a point but what if someone decides to copy some stuff over?

All the sprites/3d models have to be made in that timeframe by you so just from that we can see if it was copied.

And for the code since it HAS to be open source we can see if the code is too clean to be true.

All the sprites/3d models have to be made in that timeframe by you so just from that we can see if it was copied.

And for the code since it HAS to be open source we can see if the code is too clean to be true.

judging code to be "too clean to be true" isn't really fair.

I for one thoroughly code in a very clean and organized way. I even add a crap ton of detailed comments if I have the time.

judging code to be "too clean to be true" isn't really fair.

I for one thoroughly code in a very clean and organized way. I even add a crap ton of detailed comments if I have the time.

That's true, but when you have to make a working game in 48 hours your game won't be optimized and your code will not be clean trust me.

GameJams are fun. But it's much more fun if you can camp with other teams at university or smth, you need to create that kind of togetherness for it to be really fun, that's why I don't participate in online GameJams. It's quite a problem, because LTT community is world wide.

I would love to do a game jam but I just don't think it would be fun or feasible to do it over the internet.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Everyone participating could stream it to something like https://www.livecoding.tv/ or on twitch since it's game dev.

I guess it'll be hard to keep track of everyone participating and not everyone can/want to stream. But it could potentially be somewhat of a solution to "keep track" of everyone. But still, with no actual prize and it's all just for fun. I guess there is no point...

nvm... :(

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

• 2 weeks later...

@as96 maybe it has to be in a git repo so its way harder to spoof a date

Oh we should.

I assume it can be done with anything right?

Like, made for web , made in a language with a graphics library, or in a game engine (Unity, Unreal) ?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Oh we should.

I assume it can be done with anything right?

Like, made for web , made in a language with a graphics library, or in a game engine (Unity, Unreal) ?

Yes it can be made in everything you want, doing so will make it accessible to everyone since tools like GameMaker and Construct are available too.

I like this, when will it be held, if we were to hold it?

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

I like this, when will it be held, if we were to hold it?

I'd say around xmas.