Anyone owns an XPS 13 (2015)? HELP! Cracking sounds!

cloclo8003
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

Nope mine is completely silent

seems like you got a defective one :( RMA or bring it to a dell store

So I got an XPS 13 about 3 weeks ago (I'm depressed, got refreshed right after I got it) and the hinge started making this cracking sound when opening and closing the lid. Can anyone who owns an XPS 13 tell me if this is normal? Do I have a lemon? If I do have a lemon, is it a common problem?

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

Wrong forum, go on the troubleshooting forum plz

I think it would fit both forums, but I'm not asking how to fix it (which is what troubleshooting means) so I thought here would be better

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Tell Dell and get them exchange it for a new one  :D

I doubt a cracking sound is "normal" by any means - who in there right minds would sell a product that sounded like it was breaking every time you opened it. Unless its actually breaking. Dell typically has good support so I would be contacting them, ranting about quality and the fact that they refreshed them just after you bought one. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I think it would fit both forums, but I'm not asking how to fix it (which is what troubleshooting means) so I thought here would be better

But look now, I edited my post..

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Tell Dell and get them exchange it for a new one  :D

I doubt a cracking sound is "normal" by any means - who in there right minds would sell a product that sounded like it was breaking every time you opened it. Unless its actually breaking. Dell typically has good support so I would contacting them.

Alright. Thanks, that's what I thought too. I also googled and saw another guy got a replacement. I also wanted to see if it was a common problem, but looking at the amount of unrelated stuff google shows when looking it up, I am pretty sure I got a lemon.

But look now, I edited my post..

Oh hahahaha okay xD

Alright, thanks a lot

Alright, thanks a lot

no problem :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Oh hahahaha okay xD

But yeah, as someone else said, contact them right away, in my experience, dell do have good customer support, yet I had better experience with other companies support when I think how long you wait before someone answer the phone

Alright. Thanks, that's what I thought too. I also googled and saw another guy got a replacement. I also wanted to see if it was a common problem, but looking at the amount of unrelated stuff google shows when looking it up, I am pretty sure I got a lemon.

Unrelated but kinda related.  I was going to buy a XPS 13, until I found the HP Spectre, which is a convertible computer. Which meant it has a totally different hinge system because it has to flip the screen over. The hinges are metal gears which make the opening and closely one the smoothest operations and in my opinion the gear system will probably last forever. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Unrelated but kinda related.  I was going to buy a XPS 13, until I found the HP Spectre, which is a convertible computer. Which meant it has a totally different hinge system because it has to flip the screen over. The hinges are metal gears which make the opening and closely one the smoothest operations and in my opinion the gear system will probably last forever. 

Actually I would've gone with a convertible laptop or a MacBook Pro if the XPS 13 didn't exist, the Surface was one of my options, but there was the XPS 13 and all of her beauty, I mean, look at those bezels  :wub:

Actually I would've gone with a convertible laptop or a MacBook Pro if the XPS 13 didn't exist, the Surface was one of my options, but there was the XPS 13 and all of her beauty, I mean, look at those bezels  :wub:

I get the whole bezel thing, but when I saw my friends I noticed just how small the whole package was and again I was happier with my Spectre. Personal preference I would rather the new XPS 15 with zero bezel, that way you get a smaller form factor device and larger screen but device isn't smaller than a regular 13"- which I think is the perfect ultrabook size.  XPS 15 if it wasn't so expensive would my ultimate choice now for a laptop. 

Spoiler