OS transer to SSD help

mapleridgeskid

Hi! I recently bought some new parts for my PC I built roughly 3 years ago since id been neglecting it for a while and needed a slight upgrade. I bought a white H440 case, and a 120gb Samsung EVO SSD.

I watched both NCIX Tech Tips videos about transfering your OS over to an SSD and I've run into a few problems.

I opened the cloning software Samsung provided and I didn't have nearly enough space to transfer over to an SSD, which I expected. My old 1tb Western Digital was sitting at about 700gbs and the SSD only fit 120. I went through all of my personal folders and excluded things from the transfer, but it wasn't nearly enough space (it got rid of like 70gbs). So... I went out and bought an 1tb external drive and backed up my entire C:/ drive. After that I went on a deleting spree and deleted anything and everything I could find on my PC to get down into the cloneable range. I'm now sitting at like 126gbs left on my desktop and I can't find anything on my PC left to delete.

I'm really confused as to where this random 100 or so gigs is coming from - and most importantly how the hell do I get rid of some of that space so I can transfer over to my SSD.

I also tried directly installing Windows 7 onto the SSD through an external optical drive that I bought  (since the H440 doesn't have room for one) and it didn't work either. I'm not sure if it won't detect the optical drive in the BIOS since it's connected via USB ports or what but what I do know is that for such an "easy" transfer, it has caused me a lot of confusion, and frustration

Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks!

My PC if anyone cares B)

i7 3700K

Noctua NH-D14

Windforce 680

P8Z77-V

16GB GSKILL 1600

1TB Western Digital Black

120GB Samsung EVO

White NZXT H440

650W CM Silent Pro PSU

Hi! I recently bought some new parts for my PC I built roughly 3 years ago since id been neglecting it for a while and needed a slight upgrade. I bought a white H440 case, and a 120gb Samsung EVO SSD.

I watched both NCIX Tech Tips videos about transfering your OS over to an SSD and I've run into a few problems.

I opened the cloning software Samsung provided and I didn't have nearly enough space to transfer over to an SSD, which I expected. My old 1tb Western Digital was sitting at about 700gbs and the SSD only fit 120. I went through all of my personal folders and excluded things from the transfer, but it wasn't nearly enough space (it got rid of like 70gbs). So... I went out and bought an 1tb external drive and backed up my entire C:/ drive. After that I went on a deleting spree and deleted anything and everything I could find on my PC to get down into the cloneable range. I'm now sitting at like 126gbs left on my desktop and I can't find anything on my PC left to delete.

I'm really confused as to where this random 100 or so gigs is coming from - and most importantly how the hell do I get rid of some of that space so I can transfer over to my SSD.

I also tried directly installing Windows 7 onto the SSD through an external optical drive that I bought (since the H440 doesn't have room for one) and it didn't work either. I'm not sure if it won't detect the optical drive in the BIOS since it's connected via USB ports or what but what I do know is that for such an "easy" transfer, it has caused me a lot of confusion, and frustration

Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks!

My PC if anyone cares B)

i7 3700K

Noctua NH-D14

Windforce 680

P8Z77-V

16GB GSKILL 1600

1TB Western Digital Black

120GB Samsung EVO

White NZXT H440

650W CM Silent Pro PSU

Use CCleaner to delete unnecessary temporary files and also try disk cleanup in Windows it can get rid of a good amount of junk. To get to it, go to control panel, system and security then scroll down to administrative tools, then disk cleanup. Select your C drive to clean and wait for it to scan and your golden! You can select everything on the list once it has scanned the drive and will free up a large amount of space for you :D

dont clone the os to the ssd.do a fresh windows install on it. use a usb flash drive or your external optical drive but you need to go in the bios to configure the boot options. or press f8 during post for the boot menu

Just do a fresh install of Windows and leave all your files on the HDD. The amount of time you'll take to cut away your 700GBs of data to fit a 120GB is absolutely not worth it. Reconnect your HDD after you've re-installed Windows and every thing should still be there and accessible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox6DHlPQI-w

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580