Thoughts on Columbus Day?

Mooshi

This totally slipped my mind and was only reminded about it thanks to complaining on Twitter. As a disclosure, I'm majority native to N.America and my mom is full-blooded. The only reason I even have some mixed Italian/Spanish blood is thanks to unquestionable acts that happened hundreds of years before I was even born. (yes, rape). For Europeans ect. who are unfamiliar, Columbus Day is a national holiday that celebrates the discovering of America. Except it was only made a national holiday 80 years ago and that he didn't actually discover America first..but what does history even matter when you get a day off out of it?

To me, it gets a shrug and a "why..?" I mean, we can't help what happened in the past and honestly before white settlers happened there was tribal conflict all the time. With that said, a lot of atrocities happened to the native population thanks to shady strangers. Not everyone was shady, but small pox and Spanish invasion is definitely a black stain in America's past. Personally, I find Columbus to be a tool and the holiday to be insulting to the word holiday. Days off are nice, but I'd like for the reason of celebration not be borderline genocide..but that's just me.

I've also learned some places are doing away with Columbus Day style of celebration and exchanging it for indigenous people day..KIND OF. At least acknowledging the native population. Perspectives are all over the place that you can read for yourself and make up your mind which way to feel about this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/10/12/why-columbus-days-days-could-be-numbered/?postshare=9981444661353460

http://louderwithcrowder.com/columbusindigenous-people-day-education/

http://www.mtv.com/news/2345279/indigenous-woman-columbus-day/?xrs=_s.tw_news

People are trying to turn this into a conservative vs liberal hot topic, but as someone with the heritage I kinda find the whole thing to be dumb and trivializing to be quite honest. America today has such an awesome culture and tech that I definitely wouldn't want to give up--something all Americans can enjoy. To me, if anything, what should be taught about this day is the true history that an entire people were nearly wiped out, not what kids are taught of "oh, he was a man who got lost looking for spice and found America!"--nothing innocent about Columbus or the conquistadors. No one ever said history was pretty, but to gloss over things like how advanced the Aztecs and Inca ect civilizations were over is a bit unfair. That's my take anyway.

AT LEAST THERE IS A DAY OFF SO THAT MAKES EVERYTHING OKAY, RIGHT? 

My school doesn't give us a day off, RIP 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

America today has such an awesome culture

...what?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

...what?

it does have a pretty nice culture in general.

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Columbus did NOT discover America and Edison did not invent the light bulb. School is out now :P

...what?

Not saying it's a sophisticated one..but I will not turn down Taco Bell, free wifi or Intel/AMD chips.

People are going to bitch about anything.

I get why people don't like to celebrate Columbus day, but we'd be way more productive if people would calm their shit, eat a pop tart and be excellent to each other.

I couldn't care less about it or the outrage over it. I do however find it hilarious that we're supposed celebrate the indigenous people over columbus. As if they were a peaceful bunch themselves.

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

Yeah, I personally boycott the idea of Columbus Day, but everyone I talk to (with the exception of my brother and a very close friend) says that it's stupid and that I'm overthinking things. Columbus Day is like celebrating the first day of the Rwandan Genocide. 

I didn't think anyone actually celebrates Columbus Day, I thought it was just another excuse for bankers to have the day off. (Considering they have the work ethic of a four year old with ADHD)

I never got Columbus day off school, and I certainly don't get it off of work. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

We've got the day off but not because of Columbus day. It is because of teacher work day which just so happens to fall on Columbus day. The teachers are there right now. 

History is pretty brutal and some of the biggest and most revered names in history came with a lot of dark "secrets" about them. Annoying when people don't get that fact and act like it's some big revelation they have to shit in your face about as if we didn't know and were still 12.

Also who gives a shit. Dude was a big name who happened into America, thought it was India, and brought upon shit being fucked up. Shit happens.

Free day off.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build

It's a pointless holiday if you know your history.  First off, how could he discover America if America wasn't a thing until past his time?  That simply contradicts the claim.  Was he the first to colonize this place?  No, technically that was the tribes that crossed the straight.  Was he the first white guy here?  No!  That would be the Norwegian/Danish hybrid kid Lief Erikson, son of Erik the Red.  Why celebrate a guy who did nothing but assist in mass murder?

You could raise that question about a lot of big names in history but most of them don't come with me not having to go to school on said day.

I'll say what many say, "History is written by the winner."  Though Walter's quote is, "History is written by the victors."

It is true. Never denied that.

Well I guess it's ok because you get a day off right?

It's thanksgiving here, so I get a day off anyway ;p

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 ~ GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD7950 Vapor-X @ 1150/1650MHz @ 1.2Vcore ~ Motherboard: MSI H81M-E34 ~ RAM: 2x4GB Patriot Signature DDR3 @ 8-9-9-20 1600MHz 1.5V ~ PSU: EVGA Supernova NEX 750W B1 ~ Storage: 250GB Crucial MX200 SSD/1TB WD Blue HDD ~ Case: Corsair 200R ~  Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95

I don't see why anyone would celebrate a hack that couldn't navigate properly. And even if he could he did not have enough supplies to make it to india with his planned route...

And as mentioned already. Leif Erikson had already found "Vinland"(North america) long before that. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Columbus day? Is that today? For us in Canada, it's thanksgiving.

Also, this

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

My university has this thing called fall break. Basically we get this Monday and Tuesday tomorrow off. But they took those days from the Thanksgiving break. As someone that lives a boring (especially if alone) 6 hour car ride away I would much rather have the longer Thanksgiving break. 12 hours of driving (round trip) is about  $100 in my car and I would get like 2 waking days at home. Plus pretty much everything on campus if closed and stuff in town closes early. I've been living off of junk food all weekend. During Thanksgiving break we have to leave campus and everything closes. If I absolutely have to leave, then I would rather have two more days at home. A 4 day weekend is pretty boring if nobody is around and everything fun to do is closed. 

Sorry if that was kind of a rant. If I was at home working it would probably be optional to work and I would probably go in and work. 

The reason Columbus is celebrated for his "discovery" and not Erikson is because nothing really came of Erikson's discovery.  During the little ice age the Vikings stopped coming to north America and never really went back.

We stopped getting Columbus day off from school when I was a kid mainly, and I've always thought it was the weakest link in all of the federal holidays.

However putting the blame entirely on him, while not a very good human I admit, ignores the crimes committed by soooooo many others.

Personally I think the holiday needs to be done away with entirely and just make it a regular day.