Get the Z5 or wait for the Z6?

c_marriott

I'm currently using the Xperia Z1 and with the contract coming to an end in the next few months (be in the new year) I'm not sure whether to get the Z5, wait for the Z6 or go for a new brand entirely.

The reason for asking is, the Z5 doesn't support USB-C and it uses the SD810 CPU which has a few issues. Where as it will probably be that the Z6 will have USB-C and the 820 so,

what is everyone's opinion?

CPU: FX-6300 GPU: Sapphire R9 380X MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PSU: XFX XTR 550W CASE: Zalman Z11 Plus SSD: Samsung 840 Evo

17 years old, PC Enthusiast for 3. Be gentle with me, I'm only young.

I'm currently using the Xperia Z1 and with the contract coming to an end in the next few months (be in the new year) I'm not sure whether to get the Z5, wait for the Z6 or go for a new brand entirely.

The reason for asking is, the Z5 doesn't support USB-C and it uses the SD810 CPU which has a few issues. Where as it will probably be that the Z6 will have USB-C and the 820 so,

what is everyone's opinion?

id wait, or get the new iphone

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

SD 810 is not an issue because the Z5 has water cooling (google it if you think I'm joking).
I would wait for something else, you could get something better. I love Sony, but the new LG V10 seems like a better choice to me. Maybe wait for Galaxy S7?
Or do you need the IP rating and would like to stick to Sony flagships? :)

Wait for Z19. Since Z5 just came out Z6 is way too close.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

SD 810 is not an issue because the Z5 has water cooling (google it if you think I'm joking).

I would wait for something else, you could get something better. I love Sony, but the new LG V10 seems like a better choice to me. Maybe wait for Galaxy S7?

I think you are talking about heatpipe cooling? :P But yea, their cooling solution pretty much fixed the heat part of SD810, for myself, the concern is the power draw and battery life

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

I think you are talking about heatpipe cooling? :P But yea, their cooling solution pretty much fixed the heat part of SD810, for myself, the concern is the power draw and battery life

Yeah, sorry, I got it mixed up, the new Lumia 950 and 950XL have watercooling. The Z5 has heatpipes.

Well, I get your concern. I was disappointed with the battery life of the Z1 and it has a huge battery. I ended up selling it.

Not sure, but check out GSM Arenas tests and comparisons, it should give you a good idea. They also have camera comparisons (the current king is the G4). Sort your priorities out OP and get a flagship that suits you best. :)

I like the way Sony phones look and feel, the IP rating is helpful also.

I forgot about the v10, do we know the pricing yet?

CPU: FX-6300 GPU: Sapphire R9 380X MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PSU: XFX XTR 550W CASE: Zalman Z11 Plus SSD: Samsung 840 Evo

Yeah, sorry, I got it mixed up, the new Lumia 950 and 950XL have watercooling. The Z5 has heatpipes.

Well, I get your concern. I was disappointed with the battery life of the Z1 and it has a huge battery. I ended up selling it.

Not sure, but check out GSM Arenas tests and comparisons, it should give you a good idea. They also have camera comparisons (the current king is the G4). Sort your priorities out OP and get a flagship that suits you best. :)

z had crappy battery, z1 had crappy battery. Z2 had amazing battery, Z3 had amazing battery, Z3+ had better than average battery.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I like the way Sony phones look and feel, the IP rating is helpful also.

I forgot about the v10, do we know the pricing yet?

Agreed, I love the Sony phone design, finish and the IP rating came in useful when a friend spilled a keg of beer on mine! :D

Not sure where you are from, but the price is 500GBP or around 620 euro for the V10. :)

z had crappy battery, z1 had crappy battery. Z2 had amazing battery, Z3 had amazing battery, Z3+ had better than average battery.

True, my z1C doesn't last too long under use, does well for me though.

Agreed, I love the Sony phone design, finish and the IP rating came in useful when a friend spilled a keg of beer on mine! :D

Not sure where you are from, but the price is 500GBP or around 620 euro for the V10. :)

Yeah, I've often dropped mine in a few wet spots, it's just a handy feature.

That's a similar price to the Sony flagships isn't it? Issue with the V10 is it runs on a 810 doesn't it?

True, my z1C doesn't last too long under use, does well for me though.

Yeah, I've often dropped mine in a few wet spots, it's just a handy feature.

That's a similar price to the Sony flagships isn't it? Issue with the V10 is it runs on a 810 doesn't it?

V10 runs 808. The Sony Z5 is about 650-700e, which is somewhat similar. I personally don't like the LG Android ROM, not a fan of it, I liked the Sony version and I liked some of the features TouchWiz has, it's very practical, especially the swipe to call or text, put the phone up to your ear to dial from text message and so on. For some reason I never liked the LGs version, don't know why...

Also, forgot to mention, there is a new sensor in the Z5 and it has insanely fast AF, maybe go for the Z5 after all. :D

I'm thinking of getting the Z5 Premium over the Note 5. Just seems more interesting with similar specs. Will wait til I can give it a try in store at least

V10 runs 808. The Sony Z5 is about 650-700e, which is somewhat similar. I personally don't like the LG Android ROM, not a fan of it, I liked the Sony version and I liked some of the features TouchWiz has, it's very practical, especially the swipe to call or text, put the phone up to your ear to dial from text message and so on. For some reason I never liked the LGs version, don't know why...

Also, forgot to mention, there is a new sensor in the Z5 and it has insanely fast AF, maybe go for the Z5 after all. :D

Oh right, assumed it would be on the 810. Me neither, my girlfriend has the G3 and i just generally don't like it. I'd prefer to stay away from Samsung, not a big fan. 

Guess Sony is the way forward. Just got to work out whether its worth waiting a couple of extra months for the 820 + USB C (if they include it)

I'm thinking of getting the Z5 Premium over the Note 5. Just seems more interesting with similar specs. Will wait til I can give it a try in store at least

Its very tempting, if, when it comes tto my upgrade time, I can get it on a decently priced contract I would probably get it over the Z6 because of the way it is.

I went into town yesterday hoping to find it in stores and remembered it wasn't out yet. I did like the look of the Z5C though, its quite square and thick but I find that to feel more sturdy and reliable. 

Apparently it hits stores this week in Australia. The Z5 Premium launches in November but no idea what date yet. Hopefully sooner rather than later

The Z6 may not exist. Sony is considering backing out of the mobile market.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

The Z6 may not exist. Sony is considering backing out of the mobile market.

They said that last time, I expect the Z5 Premium will receive reviews saying that if it had a 820 and USB-C port then it would be perfect.