Best single user data backup solution?

Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,

I'm in the process of building a computer. I'm currently waiting on a kit of RAM to arrive so I have some spare time to think about other extras..

I was just wondering how much a single user NAS would cost and is it the best backup solution for me as a single user with multiple drives (OS+Apps, Games & Mass storage). I'll also mention that I'm located in AUS and as some of you probably know the internet is laughable here is that has an effect on backup times.

Some general information, specific to my situation would be great. As far as: backing up data, how long it would take to backup on AUS internet, security and the unit cost.

Thanks a lot :)

You have many choices. Depends on how much control poor granular change you want with your backup.

Ideally, a NAS with enough HDD space to backup all of your important data multiple times over.

I would suggest first, install the OS, plus all drivers. Create a FULL backup image of your drives (should be pretty small file size, since mostly empty still).

Second, install all your games and applications, tweak settings, etc. Then create a second full backup image of your drives (optionally, skip the first image and only do this one).

Store both of these backup images on your NAS or a VERY LARGE external USB HDD. I'm talking 4TB or larger is ideal.

Next I would create a daily differential backup schedule, with full backups every week or month - depending on how quickly your data changes.

Differential means it only backs up changed files at the end of the day.

As for which program? Frankly, the built in backup in Windows 7, 8/8.1 or 10 is very solid.

If you want more control and features, I recommend Acronis True Home backup software. You can sometimes find it on sale. It allows full backups in any way you want, as well as full hdd image backups, which are great for storing the initial state of your PC.

Why do I suggest those image backups? Because if you ever need to total Windows, why start from scratch? By keeping an image backup of your freshly configured PC, you'll never have to worry about installing Windows and drivers and programs again. All you'll have to do is update the drivers and perhaps install any new programs you downloaded or bought. Saves you lots of time in the future.

I'm in the process of building a computer. I'm currently waiting on a kit of RAM to arrive so I have some spare time to think about other extras..

I was just wondering how much a single user NAS would cost and is it the best backup solution for me as a single user with multiple drives (OS+Apps, Games & Mass storage). I'll also mention that I'm located in AUS and as some of you probably know the internet is laughable here is that has an effect on backup times.

Some general information, specific to my situation would be great. As far as: backing up data, how long it would take to backup on AUS internet, security and the unit cost.

Corsair Air 540 - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - Corsair HX850i - Intel i7 6700K - Corsair H100i Pro - Gigabyte RX 5700 XT 8GB - 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2400 - Samsung 860 QVO 1TB - Samsung 850 500GB - WD Black 4TB

Clearly the best way to circumvent the internet thing is to create backups on hard drives and then store them in the bathroom, in true Linus fashion of course. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

A NAS is limited to your internal network, not your external internet. Personally ive always liked acronis, but it aint cheap xD

You have many choices. Depends on how much control poor granular change you want with your backup.

Ideally, a NAS with enough HDD space to backup all of your important data multiple times over.

I would suggest first, install the OS, plus all drivers. Create a FULL backup image of your drives (should be pretty small file size, since mostly empty still).

Second, install all your games and applications, tweak settings, etc. Then create a second full backup image of your drives (optionally, skip the first image and only do this one).

Store both of these backup images on your NAS or a VERY LARGE external USB HDD. I'm talking 4TB or larger is ideal.

Next I would create a daily differential backup schedule, with full backups every week or month - depending on how quickly your data changes.

Differential means it only backs up changed files at the end of the day.

As for which program? Frankly, the built in backup in Windows 7, 8/8.1 or 10 is very solid.

If you want more control and features, I recommend Acronis True Home backup software. You can sometimes find it on sale. It allows full backups in any way you want, as well as full hdd image backups, which are great for storing the initial state of your PC.

Why do I suggest those image backups? Because if you ever need to total Windows, why start from scratch? By keeping an image backup of your freshly configured PC, you'll never have to worry about installing Windows and drivers and programs again. All you'll have to do is update the drivers and perhaps install any new programs you downloaded or bought. Saves you lots of time in the future.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)