WD Black or Seagate SSHD

Wayne Tai

I'm choosing between the 2 for my 4 TB storage.

What specs should I be looking out for when choosing a storage drive? WD black seems to be priced a lot more  than seagate.

Mobo: ASUS X99-A  // CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix //  Ram: 4 x 4 GB 2666 Mhz G.Skill Ripjaw // SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe //  PSU: Cooler Master V850  // Case: Corsair 760T Arch White // Mouse: Logitec G903 Lightspeed // Keyboard: Logitech G Pro // Headphones: Audio Technica Ath-R70x // Monitor: BenQ BL2710PT

WD is more reliable; but if you want an OS drive the SSHD is better than an HDD

Spoiler

Everyday build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960x - GPU(s): 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX2.0+ (SLI) - Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X99 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR4 4x8GB (2666MHz) - Storage: Intel 750 Series 1.2TB + 4TB WD Black - Case: Corsair 760T White - PSU: SeaSonic 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Wireless Adapter: TP-Link Archer T9E - Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB - Mouse(s): Corsair Gaming M65 RGB + Logitech MX Master - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WhyK99 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/474247-r8-my-build/

Weekend build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5930k - GPU(s): 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified ACX2.0+ (SLI) - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 - Motherboard: ASUS X99-Deluxe - RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 4x8GB (2666MHz) - Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 & 2TB Samsung 850 Evo - Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv - PSU: SeaSonic SnowSilent 1050W 80+ Platinum Certified - OS: Windows 10 Home - Monitor: Dell S2716DG 144hz - Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB - Mouse: Corsair Gaming M65 RGB - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YYK93C

dont bother with SSHD.

most SSHDs have VERY limited SSD cache (less than you need for windows) and their HDD part is much slower (5900rpm)

just get a really good 7200rpm HDD.

WD black is the way to go then  :)

Mobo: ASUS X99-A  // CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix //  Ram: 4 x 4 GB 2666 Mhz G.Skill Ripjaw // SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe //  PSU: Cooler Master V850  // Case: Corsair 760T Arch White // Mouse: Logitec G903 Lightspeed // Keyboard: Logitech G Pro // Headphones: Audio Technica Ath-R70x // Monitor: BenQ BL2710PT

WD Black or Blue. My WD Black is now on 13k hours of work and still healthy. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

i'll add a source on why i recommend to NEVER touch anything less than 7200rpm:

- i have a WD black, but i've done the same test on a prebuilt with a seagate drive.

- a friend of mine has a WD red, which is one of the more "respectable" slower RPM HDDs.

his load times are more than double of mine at times, whereas his OS is on some mindblowingly fast SSD, where mine in the WD black case is on a cheapo sandisk, and in the prebuilt is on the same drive.

dont get an SSHD

buy a SSD+HDD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

SSHD

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

WD black is the way to go then  :)

go with blue or green. black is just a marketing gimmick. it does not give anymore performance over the other drives. but it makes a lot of noise, which is why I returned mine one day after I bought it.

go with blue or green. black is just a marketing gimmick. it does not give anymore performance over the other drives. but it makes a lot of noise, which is why I returned mine one day after I bought it.

Blue doesn't come with 4TB storage, do they?

from my experience green is beyond horrible performance wise, because they need to spin up for every r/w action.

and again from my experience, WD blues vibrate more than blacks, and as @Wayne Tai said, i dont think they come in higher amounts of storage.

from my experience green is beyond horrible performance wise, because they need to spin up for every r/w action.

and again from my experience, WD blues vibrate more than blacks, and as @Wayne Tai said, i dont think they come in higher amounts of storage.

well I always use seagate barracuda so idk a lot about wd. But the first time, and only time, Ive every bought a wd black, it makes a ticking noise, kinda like the needle is scratching against the platter so hard. I thought it was broken, but i went online and find out that it is always been like that, I had my system on the table and couldnt stand the noise so i returned it the next day.

that vid is exactly the noise that i heard

edit: skip to 1min mark on the vid to hear the noise

Blue doesn't come with 4TB storage, do they?

get 2 2tb and run them in raid 0, itll be alot faster. But theres risk of course

well I always use seagate barracuda so idk a lot about wd. But the first time, and only time, Ive every bought a wd black, it makes a ticking noise, kinda like the needle is scratching against the platter so hard. I thought it was broken, but i went online and find out that it is always been like that, I had my system on the table and couldnt stand the noise so i returned it the next day.

that vid is exactly the noise that i heard

edit: skip to 1min mark on the vid to hear the noise

while indeed the blacks are some of the loudest drives i've tortured, they're not the only ones this loud.

get 2 2tb and run them in raid 0, itll be alot faster. But theres risk of course

in that case, i'd suggest two WD reds, because they're designed to do that.

(and from my experience both blues and blacks arent the most "social" hard drives)

while indeed the blacks are some of the loudest drives i've tortured, they're not the only ones this loud.

in that case, i'd suggest two WD reds, because they're designed to do that.

(and from my experience both blues and blacks arent the most "social" hard drives)

I use seagate barracuda and they never make much noise, only ticking noise from time to time when they starts to spin, but it doesnt make constant noise like this. Honestly I would trade performance for acoustic. since I only store mostly movies and games that I dont care to wait an extra 30s to load. competitive games like cs go and dota and even gta 5 I have on my ssd, gta 5 is not competitive but I play it a lot

I use seagate barracuda and they never make much noise, only ticking noise from time to time when they starts to spin, but it doesnt make constant noise like this. Honestly I would trade performance for acoustic. since I only store mostly movies and games that I dont care to wait an extra 30s to load. competitive games like cs go and dota and even gta 5 I have on my ssd, gta 5 is not competitive but I play it a lot

i'll drop in the different drives i have, and my experience with them:

- 160GB samsung drive from the dawn of sata: pretty quiet, a bit rattle-y when doing really big loads.

- WD green (the old ones that completely stopped) dont even bother, they're a joke. i heard the newer ones are a tad better tho.

- 1TB samsung drive: sounds like a floppy drive on steroids

- 1TB seagate: dead quiet

- 2TB WD black: "crunches" when under load, as before described.

thats the ones i know off the top of my head. i have a bunch more, but i didnt do tests on them.

i'll drop in the different drives i have, and my experience with them:

- 160GB samsung drive from the dawn of sata: pretty quiet, a bit rattle-y when doing really big loads.

- WD green (the old ones that completely stopped) dont even bother, they're a joke. i heard the newer ones are a tad better tho.

- 1TB samsung drive: sounds like a floppy drive on steroids

- 1TB seagate: dead quiet

- 2TB WD black: "crunches" when under load, as before described.

thats the ones i know off the top of my head. i have a bunch more, but i didnt do tests on them.

been using seagate for as long as I know. super reliable, dead silence. my oldest one is probably over 2 years old now, and im running it in raid 0 with another one. My brother had a 1tb green and it failed after a year lel

been using seagate for as long as I know. super reliable, dead silence. my oldest one is probably over 2 years old now, and im running it in raid 0 with another one. My brother had a 1tb green and it failed after a year lel

my hate for WD green...

i have a WD green that still works fine, it just refuses to format as anything else than NTFS.

looking at the SMART is quite fun as well, after 4-something years theres something stupid like 13000 spinups on it.

~snip~

Hey there Wayne Tai,

It really depends on what you are using the drive for. SSHD drives can be more beneficial in some cases. These drives have a small (usually a 8GB) SSD portion that is used to cache the load files of the most commonly used applications and thus boost the performance when they are used. Everything else runs pretty normal compared to a regular drive. Do have in mind that you have no decision power whatsoever over what goes there. The drive uses its own algorithm to calculate what you use mostly and stores the data on its own. These drives are designed mainly for single-bay systems that are used mostly for just a few things.
WD Black on the other hand is a great and reliable drive that is designed for performance and durability with long warranty and great speeds. If should be able to handle pretty much anything you throw at it. Here's a bit more info on it: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=2Zm1Fi
I would suggest to have separate SSD and HDD for your desktop computer as it offers a lot more benefits compared to a single SSHD. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

As I've mentioned in a previous thread, my luck with WD drives is more "miss" than "hit".  That said, I can provide some statistics for the drives in my storage pool, which has contained a variety of 1TB drives over the years - just ask, and I'll happily post the SMART info.

Of the drives that have failed naturally (I had two HGST HTS721010A9E630's fail because the 4 pin molex cable was plugged in backward, as the enclosure they were in apparently didn't prevent that from happening :( ), all were WD's.  The latest was a WD Black, with the previous two being WD Blues.  I have another WD Green I need to test -- data on that drive was getting corrupted, and I'm not sure if it was the eSATA/USB dock I had it in, or a problem with the drive (and I'm not really sure how to test it without just putting it back into the pool).

The storage pool currently consists of two WDC "Green" drives, three Seagate 1TB's, and one Hitachi 1TB.  Sometime mid next year, I hope to start replacing these drives with higher capacity versions. :)

All this reminds me -- I need to get my StableBit Scanner software licensed (I'm on the trial license right now, and have 2.4 days left before it expires)...   :)