Star Citizen developers show off external & internal multicrew destruction

Hawx

End of 2016/Q1 2017 is currently planned. The stuff in this video they want to release by the end of the month.

When did they start? As normally game production can go up to 3 years and this is a huge game which might take even more depending on the amount of people working

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

When did they start? As normally game production can go up to 3 years and this is a huge game which might take even more depending on the amount of people working

Average AAA game development takes 4-6 years usually. They started in Feb 2013.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

Technically they started even before the Kickstarter, which was started in October 2012.

They had a small prototype that was enough to produce their initial crowdfunding pitch in mid-late 2012.

It's mid-late 2015 now, so it's been 3 years. The peasants are beginning to mutter, sharpen their pitchforks, and dip their torches in pitch. A smear campaign that collectively stokes the niggling doubts in people's minds has gone viral and remains in the collective conscious. It can and will affect the project if we let it.

I like to think that it's been 3 years, but that also includes the time it's taken to build up the distributed development companies. Remember that this project absolutely exploded in scale with the crowdfunding. They wanted a few million and got like fifty million inside a year, and now it's still floating up towards one hundred million. I reckon it takes the better part of a year, maybe more, to just expand a company to that size. Realistically I put them 2 years into development. Most AAA games are not even alpha at that point.

Quote me again in 2017 though. If there's no game by that point I'll be picking up my pitchfork too. 5 years is enough to get something out there.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

^This.

This game is going to make the AAA titles look like childs play when it finally comes out. I don't care how long it takes. You can't rush perfection.

How do you know by the time it comes out there won't be other games that look just as good?

Average AAA game development takes 4-6 years usually. They started in Feb 2013.

Are you talking from experience, because I have couple of friends working in london game studios and it's 2-3 year. Maybe 2 extra years of design and pitching but that's hardly plausible.

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

How do you know by the time it comes out there won't be other games that look just as good?

Mainly because I know of no other game that's shooting as high as Star Citizen is. Not to mention that most other AAA games are financed by companies who only care about sales, and don't give a damn about the quality of the game.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Let me fix the title for you.. "Star Citizen developers show off an over worked feature that is in no way a core part of the game.. Yet has most likely has seen more development time then the fps module.." /rant

fSHL904.gif

Trik means more along the lines of the amount of content we're getting, not just how it looks.

I think Chris Roberts even said they'd be able to update visuals easily with how they're designing the game as time goes on - I don't have sauce on this though.

They had a small prototype that was enough to produce their initial crowdfunding pitch in mid-late 2012.

It's mid-late 2015 now, so it's been 3 years. The peasants are beginning to mutter, sharpen their pitchforks, and dip their torches in pitch. A smear campaign that collectively stokes the niggling doubts in people's minds has gone viral and remains in the collective conscious. It can and will affect the project if we let it.

I like to think that it's been 3 years, but that also includes the time it's taken to build up the distributed development companies. Remember that this project absolutely exploded in scale with the crowdfunding. They wanted a few million and got like fifty million inside a year, and now it's still floating up towards one hundred million. I reckon it takes the better part of a year, maybe more, to just expand a company to that size. Realistically I put them 2 years into development. Most AAA games are not even alpha at that point.

Quote me again in 2017 though. If there's no game by that point I'll be picking up my pitchfork too. 5 years is enough to get something out there.

From my head I remember that it was vastly bigger game than any AAA. Has the studio done any other AAA games? Money is least of their problem right now. 3 years is more than enough to have near finished product. So the time is not a problem also. It's management, if they are trying to finish this game by themselves this will be a failure. Dayz standalone had huge following at the begging but they never came out with a stable release that I remember. Who plays DayZ now? I can imagine a lot of bad drama starting to blow up around this development.

Trik means more along the lines of the amount of content we're getting, not just how it looks.

I think Chris Roberts even said they'd be able to update visuals easily with how they're designing the game as time goes on - I don't have sauce on this though.

Unless it is procedurally made and there are not a lot of models, they will only be able to update the textures. Not to mention the engine limitations.

Unless it is procedurally made and there are not a lot of models, they will only be able to update the textures. Not to mention the engine limitations.

Engines get updates and have patchers for your game to go with the update. At least Unity does, don't know about CryEngine.

I don't know how they're making the game, just going off of what Chris said.

For your information, they're just starting a full rebuild of their rendering pipeline to support DX12/Vulkan and new lighting/graphical tech. They're also still integrating new engine builds from Crytek.

From my head I remember that it was vastly bigger game than any AAA. Has the studio done any other AAA games? Money is least of their problem right now. 3 years is more than enough to have near finished product. So the time is not a problem also. It's management, if they are trying to finish this game by themselves this will be a failure. Dayz standalone had huge following at the begging but they never came out with a stable release that I remember. Who plays DayZ now? I can imagine a lot of bad drama starting to blow up around this development.

There's 260 people across 3-4 studios and another 200 contractors working on the game. Chris Roberts has multiple AAA titles to his name, and their staff include the original engineers of CryEngine, lead designers from Blizzard/Activision, as well as most of the developers from the UK and Austin Crytek studios. They're certainly not doing it "by themselves".

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

Engines get updates and have patchers for your game to go with the update. At least Unity does, don't know about CryEngine.

There is difference between updates and the new engine version. As i remember they are working with CryEngine? Doesn't really matter which it is. The thing that matter is pipeline in the production. You choose the version of an engine you will be working  and you layer everything on top of it. When the engine gets an upgrade... lets say CryEngine 4 It can take a year to port everything through. That's is the reason why I said about engine limitations. Chris is probably just worried about the project and wants more hype, but some shit is just impossible with a click of a button. I'm working in vfx industry but have couple of friends who moved to games. In VFX studios people use 2-3 year old software just because of the pipeline...and cost of upgrading

For your information, they're just starting a full rebuild of their rendering pipeline to support DX12/Vulkan and new lighting/graphical tech. They're also still integrating new engine builds from Crytek.

There's 260 people across 3-4 studios and another 200 contractors working on the game. Chris Roberts has multiple AAA titles to his name, and their staff include the original engineers of CryEngine, lead designers from Blizzard/Activision, as well as most of the developers from the UK and Austin Crytek studios. They're certainly not doing it "by themselves".

Rebuild part is awful. If they will be rebuilding everything after all the works has been done, not only that hey plushed the money down the drain, but can't deliver the finished product.

The portfolio is promising and they have good amount of people if those 200 are full time. Hopefully they won't run out of money. Shit happens

There is difference between updates and the new engine version. As i remember they are working with CryEngine? Doesn't really matter which it is. The thing that matter is pipeline in the production. You choose the version of an engine you will be working  and you layer everything on top of it. When the engine gets an upgrade... lets say CryEngine 4 It can take a year to port everything through. That's is the reason why I said about engine limitations. Chris is probably just worried about the project and wants more hype, but some shit is just impossible with a click of a button. I'm working in vfx industry but have couple of friends who moved to games. In VFX studios people use 2-3 year old software just because of the pipeline...and cost of upgrading

Yes it's CryEngine.

Well like I said, I don't know how they're building the game. I'm just going off of what I'm reading from the developers.

I know with the game Rust, Facepunch is moving everything to new Unity versions as they release, mainly because of all the bugs that Unity has with their particular game but also for the better lighting simulation as Unity releases it. I don't know how long it takes, and I know Rust is significantly smaller of a game compared to what Start Citizen is supposed to be, but I'm just saying that Chris had mentioned in one of his videos that they will update the game down the road as hardware gets more powerful.

Major releases of CE won't be released, ever. Crytek made that quite clear with the 3.6 (4th gen) release of CryEngine last year. Patches will come out, yes, but it'll always be building on the previous version. CIG is getting close to not needing Crytek anymore. Three of their studios are almost entirely 100% ex-Crytek staff. The build of the engine they're working on has been heavily modified from the original branch.

You can hear sound in space?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Major releases of CE won't be released, ever. Crytek made that quite clear with the 3.6 (4th gen) release of CryEngine last year. Patches will come out, yes, but it'll always be building on the previous version. CIG is getting close to not needing Crytek anymore. Three of their studios are almost entirely 100% ex-Crytek staff. The build of the engine they're working on has been heavily modified from the original branch.

3 studios just for the RnD of the Engine? That's why it takes them so long to finish the game. Patches of a current engine does not make it a new one. It's still a current engine with the current limitations and current bugs. The way @Kloaked said that they will be rebuilding/upgrading the whole game for the new generations of gpus when the technology be available...There is very low chance that this will happen as it will take a lot of work to do that.

3 studios just for the RnD of the Engine? That's why it takes them so long to finish the game. Patches of a current engine does not make it a new one. It's still a current engine with the current limitations and current bugs. The way @Kloaked said that they will be rebuilding/upgrading the whole game for the new generations of gpus when the technology be available...There is very low chance that this will happen as it will take a lot of work to do that.

Lol. I didn't say anything to lead someone to think that they would be rebuilding the whole game.

Yes it's CryEngine.

Well like I said, I don't know how they're building the game. I'm just going off of what I'm reading from the developers.

I know with the game Rust, Facepunch is moving everything to new Unity versions as they release, mainly because of all the bugs that Unity has with their particular game but also for the better lighting simulation as Unity releases it. I don't know how long it takes, and I know Rust is significantly smaller of a game compared to what Start Citizen is supposed to be, but I'm just saying that Chris had mentioned in one of his videos that they will update the game down the road as hardware gets more powerful.

There you go. All I said about Star Citizen specifically was "I don't know how they're building the game" and "I think Chris Roberts even said they'd be able to update visuals easily with how they're designing the game as time goes on - I don't have sauce on this though."

That's basically the only things I said about Star Citizen in particular. Nothing more.

Lol. I didn't say anything to lead someone to think that they would be rebuilding the whole game.

There you go. All I said about Star Citizen specifically was "I don't know how they're building the game" and "I think Chris Roberts even said they'd be able to update visuals easily with how they're designing the game as time goes on - I don't have sauce on this though."

That's basically the only things I said about Star Citizen in particular. Nothing more.

This conversations just getting derailed from the main topic. You said that they will be rebuilding the visuals, which means models(character, vehicle, environment) @Hawx  said they've just rebuilt rendering to support dx12. The only thing not rebuilt is physics, which from this video they have just started and animation which if done right can be easily ported. The whole game

This conversations just getting derailed from the main topic. You said that they will be rebuilding the visuals, which means models(character, vehicle, environment) @Hawx  said they've just rebuilt rendering to support dx12. The only thing not rebuilt is physics, which from this video they have just started and animation which if done right can be easily ported. The whole game

Mate, I didn't say they rebuilt or will be rebuilding anything. I even put three of my previous quotes in that spoiler.

Mate, I didn't say they rebuilt or will be rebuilding anything. I even put three of my previous quotes in that spoiler.

''I think Chris Roberts even said they'd be able to update visuals easily''...

''I think Chris Roberts even said they'd be able to update visuals easily''...

And that's what Chris Roberts said. I didn't say anything about rebuilding the entirety of Star Citizen, or how they would update the visuals.

And that's what Chris Roberts said. I didn't say anything about rebuilding the entirety of Star Citizen, or how they would update the visuals.

I love this conversation  :lol: Next time I will write that you said, that Chris said, that they want to update the visuals  :D  Better?