Canon EOS Rebel T3i vs. Nikon D3300?

Go to solution Solved by ALwin,

Hello, I am currently looking into my first DSLR. I have used them before and was wondering whether the Canon EOS Rebel T3i or the Nikon D3300 is better. From what I have gathered, the Nikon one is better with more pixels, capable of 1080p @60FPS video, compared to 30FPS on the Canon, and being $100 cheaper. I wouldn't use the flip-out Canon LCD, and for me it seems that for the Canon you are paying more for less... would you agree with this decision of the Nikon D3300 over the Canon T3i? Thanks :)

Both cameras should perform relatively similar for both photos and videos.  But the Canon has additional support (e.g. Magic Latern) that is preferred by video producers.

In other words (regardless of whether the camera is a DSLR or Mirrorless):

Nikon & Fuji

Good for people who mainly want to take photos with simple options for recording video.  While the video recording capability and image quality can be very good, there are limits to what sort of control you have over internal settings and the types of codecs and bit rates used.

Canon, Panasonic, Sony

Better choice for people who are more serious about using their photo camera for videos.  This is mainly due to the type of codec, third party support and other video recording features that are not usually found in Nikon or Fuji.

But regardless of which ever camera you choose, a good external mic is a must for video recording.

Additionally, look into buying a camcorder or a any other proper video camera if you want to record video.

See the two links in my signature.

Hello, I am currently looking into my first DSLR. I have used them before and was wondering whether the Canon EOS Rebel T3i or the Nikon D3300 is better. From what I have gathered, the Nikon one is better with more pixels, capable of 1080p @60FPS video, compared to 30FPS on the Canon, and being $100 cheaper. I wouldn't use the flip-out Canon LCD, and for me it seems that for the Canon you are paying more for less... would you agree with this decision of the Nikon D3300 over the Canon T3i? Thanks :)

Both cameras should perform relatively similar for both photos and videos.  But the Canon has additional support (e.g. Magic Latern) that is preferred by video producers.

In other words (regardless of whether the camera is a DSLR or Mirrorless):

Nikon & Fuji

Good for people who mainly want to take photos with simple options for recording video.  While the video recording capability and image quality can be very good, there are limits to what sort of control you have over internal settings and the types of codecs and bit rates used.

Canon, Panasonic, Sony

Better choice for people who are more serious about using their photo camera for videos.  This is mainly due to the type of codec, third party support and other video recording features that are not usually found in Nikon or Fuji.

But regardless of which ever camera you choose, a good external mic is a must for video recording.

Additionally, look into buying a camcorder or a any other proper video camera if you want to record video.

See the two links in my signature.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

The Nikon

Better Sensor, better image quality, better video quality