spilt milk on pc now no power up

AJR

I spilt some milk on my pc, I whipped it up while my pc was still running normal then I turned it off. and now when trying to turn it on the next day all the fans spin and light up for a second then turn off, and it keeps trying to turn on til I unplug it. help

it was VERY little milk most of the droplets landed on my graphics cards backplate

You need to let it dry COMPLETELY before trying to turn it on. Give it a chance to dry completely (like a few days, ideally with some rice in an closed-ish container), and hope it didn't short out while there was power running through it and milk on it.

If it shorted, you're SOL. Otherwise, complete drying will revive it. I suspect there may be liquid under the backplate, so you could perhaps disassemble it to expedite the process. I've revived my old laptop from 2 catastrophic spills this way. Once I knocked over a full thermos of tea. Another, I missed when pouring water from a pitcher into a cup, and poured it on my keyboard.

Now tell us, how'd you get milk inside your desktop? I was thinking this was a laptop until you posted about a backplate.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

dude maybe the milk crusted up or something 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Get a paper towel and get rid of the droplets then

Setting the individual parts in a bowl of rice for a few days also works wonders. Worked for me when I dropped my phone in a bowl of cereal!

(not sure how you're gonna get enough rice for the GPU but oh well)

Setting the individual parts in a bowl of rice for a few days also works wonders. Worked for me when I dropped my phone in a bowl of cereal!

(not sure how you're gonna get enough rice for the GPU but oh well)

Use a flat tray. Though to be fair, I'm Taiwanese and always have a 20 lb. bag of rice in the pantry.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

RIP.

From my experience, Milk + PC = bad...

I lost my first laptop to it... accidentally spilled some milk on it, it seeped down into the power distribution area of the board, that thing was gone.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Use a flat tray. Though to be fair, I'm Taiwanese and always have a 20 lb. bag of rice in the pantry.

You Taiwanese are always ready for anything aren't ya

Nah. We just like to eat rice. xD

it was VERY little milk most of the droplets landed on my graphics cards backplate

It would be wise to clean it off by bathing/washing it with 99% isoproyl alcohol to displace the milk and remove any contaminates on the PCB.

I lost my first laptop to it... accidentally spilled some milk on it, it seeped down into the power distribution area of the board, that thing was gone.

If that ever happens again, pull out the battery/power cable ASAP. Though you probably won't get the chance to do that on the new laptops without removable batteries...

If that ever happens again, pull out the battery/power cable ASAP. Though you probably won't get the chance to do that on the new laptops without removable batteries...

My first laptop was an IBM Thinkpad T42 that I got off ebay for like $150 lol, it wasn't that big of a deal.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If something shorted(which it sounds like) try to find out what part has shorted, maybe you get lucky and you don't have to replace that much!

Edit: after drying everything ofcourse

My Rig:

Model: P650RG | Brand: Clevo | CPU: 6700HQ | GPU: 980M | RAM: 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X DDR4 | SSD: 2x 480GB Kingston KC300 | Screen: 3K Panasonic IPS LED 

You should have turned it off by unplugging it asap. Deal with a possible corrupted OS or lost game save later on.

Take it apart, leave it to dry for at least 3 days, put it all back together and try to turn it on.

You may have shorted it, if that's the case there's a chance you are SOL and this spilt milk will cost you £$£.

As it's milk you would still need to clean it out by hand once its dried as it will crust, not evaporate. The milk will have enough contaminations including iron to cause a short even once its dried.

It's not a race to the bottom.

so soak everything in alcohol?

You can try as a last resort, it's best to remove the cooler on the GPU when doing this and to lightly scrub off areas you see corrosion or residue with a soft brush.

I can't find any milk I can't stress enough how little it was. just a dozen droplets. so I just bathe my mobo and coy in alcohol? and is 50% Isopropyl alchohol good