The enemy is back Throttle Issues

Thanks, Il need to postpone the expense as my pump decided to die, and it sounded like it was going to blow up, so im on borrowing a pc right now, so.

Im not sure this board actually is so bad, Asus dosn't seem much better, but theres some info going around about the digi+ VRM's i need to look at.ks f

Also, thanks about the...currious offer, but im not trading CPU's :)

i like challenges anyways :)

Not sure what information you're looking at but the sabretooth can handle your CPU because it uses quality VRM components I've shown you proof that even with half my VRM having no contact with the heatsink it still overclocked my FX to 5ghz very well at 1.6v, the Digi VRM feature, set the Load Line Calibration to high or very high and current percentage to 140% when you start increasing you volts on the normal FX chips, you'll probably need to set those at default for your 220w chip. If you go to overclock.net and speak to the guys here, they'll guide you on the right path.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1318995/official-fx-8320-fx-8350-vishera-owners-club

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

@Benji_w

It seems the 8+2Phase design on the Fatal1ty Performance are not really 8+2 but 4+1 or something like that.
Im not sure how those design specs are suposed to be but pretending something is something else that it

actually is, is rarely a good sign. i just want to be sure that the Sabertooth actually is REAL 8+2.

@Benji_w

It seems the 8+2Phase design on the Fatal1ty Performance are not really 8+2 but 4+1 or something like that.

Im not sure how those design specs are suposed to be but pretending something is something else that it

actually is, is rarely a good sign. i just want to be sure that the Sabertooth actually is REAL 8+2.

Its VRM consist of 8 phases for the CPU, and 2 for the memory. Its motherboards such as the P5Q Deluxe, and any motherboard with 10, 12, 16 and higher phase counts that appear to have the proper phase count, but use doublers to actually achieve it. BTW doubled power phases are still better than those that aren't doubled, just not by the same amount.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

@Benji_w

Sabre is what it says it is, there is plenty of evidence in that thread I linked you on other boards being bullshit, just ask the guys on OCN if you're not sure. All this pissing about though, you could of sold your current board and got a proper one and be using the full potential of your 9590. I understand your fear of getting another shit board, but the sabretooth will handle anything you throw at it.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Sabre is what it says it is, there is plenty of evidence in that thread I linked you on other boards being bullshit, just ask the guys on OCN if you're not sure. All this pissing about though, you could of sold your current board and got a proper one and be using the full potential of your 9590. I understand your fear of getting another shit board, but the sabretooth will handle anything you throw at it.

Sabertooth boards while not aimed at gamers like the ROG boards, are as if not more reliable.

PMSL

@ OP

you have the two WORST things inside the same computer..

a 9590 and a STRIX AMD card....

why your house has not burnt down yet is an enigma

Well if you live where its cold most of the time-the rig won't get hot enough to spontaneously combust.

PMSL

Well if you live where its cold most of the time-the rig won't get hot enough to spontaneously combust.

well, even for me who live 1207Km south of the Polarcircle, yanno, even my R9 295x2 is a menace...

given, its only like 3-5 celcius during evenings now, so still not below freezing....Now, my window is directly above my PC... so when i open it, it drops all the cold air directly into the machine... even that doesnt stop my overclocked spaceheater from heating shit up.

Now... 9590 + a STRIX will probably be as bad or worse then my OCd i7 4790k + OCd 295x2.

• 4 weeks later...

Im still here, WC is kinda expensive, so im trying a new approch, i bought a very nice cabinet for 75$ including shipping. The Zalman Z11 Plus.

There might still be a problem with the lenght of the video card, but il figure that out, right now i just need to get the beast cooled, my current GPU seems sufficent for the games i run.

im still here, just not solved the problem yet.

its only like 3-5 celcius during evenings now, so still not below freezing....Now, my window is directly above my PC... so when i open it, it drops all the cold air directly into the machine...

I wanna live in that room/location.

<I'm in Australia (coming INTO Summer shortly)

That 3-5*c at night sounds nice (I prefer the cold)

Sorry to derail...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I wanna live in that room/location.

<I'm in Australia (coming INTO Summer shortly)

That 3-5*c at night sounds nice (I prefer the cold)

Sorry to derail...

well, its below freezing every other day now... had some snow already, it went away...

now i am using 15 minutes of valley to heat ma room. It's quite effective really... too effective...

well, its below freezing every other day now... had some snow already, it went away...

now i am using 15 minutes of valley to heat ma room. It's quite effective really... too effective...

Currently live in an upstairs small room (house pools heat to the top) so it gets quite humid late arvo>evening on some days (esp the hotter ones)

Makes my 290x a little unbearable, which is why Im currently running the GTX970.

It's 10-12*c less @ load, spewing into my room...

Man I miss winter.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Still here, Still working on the problem, 99% it's the Vreg's now. i got a new case with more airflow, and it helped, and setting the clock to 4Ghz. but still.

So.

Ive looked trough the manuals ect.

Fatal1ty 970 Performance/3.1

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20970%20Performance3.1/?cat=CPU
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20970%20Performance3.1/?cat=Specifications

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2
https://www.asus.com/dk/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/specifications/
https://www.asus.com/dk/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/HelpDesk_CPU/

To be honest, The Fatal1ty, Seems just as good as the Sabertooh R2 Or Better.

@Benji_w

Did you ever run your board without watercooling the Vrams?, with a 9590?. You might have seen the same temps from your other posts it does not seem you have tried this. Since you overclocked your FX8350 @ 5GHz you properly use the same amount but it seems logical that you would watercool your Vreg's to achieve this.

the ONLY thing that seems to swing in the sabertooths favor is the E.S.P (Efficient Switching Power Design).

i know the Asrock did not survive the review, but how the hell did he manage that?, it has
"ASRock Full Spike Protection".

please point out any logic flaws or points i could have missed, also, Beji your Vrams are watercooled. to be honest i think that is the difference.
My CPU is not too hot.

my logic is based as such speedfan reads from the motherboard, and the motherboard reads from BOTH the CPU and the Vrams, and reports the higher

temprature. This makes sense as this will prevent a CPU meltdown in case of Vreg's tempratures getting way out of hand.

Both Core Temp and CPUID reports low CPU temprature and full core speed 4.7 Ghz.
However speedfan reports a different temprature up to 80 degrees where the speed will drop to 1,4. and the voltage drops to 0.8v on cores and the speedfan temprature will drop and the speed rise for around 10 seconds and the voltage drops together with speed. Both Both core temp and CPUID reports full support for DTS. whereas Speedfan does not.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/howitworks.html

It is kinda hard to find information on DTS but it seems the general consensus is it's very reliable.

Also, On the backside of the motherboard the CPU backplate is just as cool as the CPU-block itself, and just to side of the backplate (where the Vreg's solders are, the board is hot as F'CK, would properly say around 80C, the same temperature as speedfan reports.

Also Nena360 you have had very good input on this thread too so il highlight you too.

• 4 weeks later...

So....

I'm telling you now, if you don't fit that ASUS board you will regret every second your machine is booted up... Get the sabretooth and yes I did have fans over the VRM heatsink at first but the noise pissed me off so I put a block on them to help keep them cold. The hotter they are the more they lose efficiency and they will also stop feeding your CPU enough volts and amps to keep stable.

You can reduce VRM thermals by changing settings in your bios and tweaking things. Not sure how the ASRock BIOS is but on the sabretooth reducing VRM frequency and LLC etc will help reduce heat. If you are 100% adimant to keep your current board then stick fans on the VRM heatinks at full blast and make your case airflow as optimal as possible, you'll need to make sure you room temp is a little lower as you can't cool below ambient temps so it has a decent effect on your overall pc's temperature. Before I moved out of my Mum's my PC ran cooler than usual, here in my flat however we constantly have the heating turned off but my ambient temps are still 21-24c.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

@Benji_w

Im going to cave in, im going to have a Multimeter tomorrow to check the PSU, if it turns out to be good, i will change the motherboard, I looked over the Asus board, and it does seem it supports it, It still have a small * Saying special thermals required, however if this means i will have the hell with the Vregs again, im going to cry, So, im going to ask Asus support if the board will actually work with it's own passive cooling on the Vreg's otherwise it seems a moot point.
(my logic is sound here right?).

The board(Chassis/Cabinet) im using now have 3 fans sucking air out, and a fan in the bottom of the case sucking air in, and a front wich is basically full of holes, and two intakes in the side panel in the front (Zalman Z11 Plus High performance case), im getting slow boots now too, and very rarely i get BSOD's, so, if the PSU returns good results (not broken), and provided Asus gives the green light on the Vreg cooling, im changing boards.

Thanks for you help and patience :P, i just don't wanna fight with this PC anymore, so my next investment must be the last and best one.

• 1 month later...

Alright so ,i exchanged the board now to a Sabertooth as per @Benji_w's suggestion ,It seems i was suffering from multiple

problems, firstly i had some BSOD's. I trobleshooted them, and it seems one ram stick was faulty..I changed it and had only had one BSOD since then.  And it seems the system is stable overall with the new board.

And i get a temprature for both the CPU and the mainboard with HWmonitor now. i have not run extensive test's yet but i will at sometime. (mainboard do seem to reflect the general temperature of the heatsink on the board.
The guy who should help me did come around with a Multi meter but it was out of batteries, and due to workload, we never got around to it, i lost the r390, so, the load should not matter anyway.

I DO have a nasty problem with booting, sometimes the system will boot and simply drop dead, after this it just boot up normally, i have made a new "appointment" with the him about looking at the PSU, And it seems my watercooling setup is not sufficient. i got a new case for my pc(might already have told this), and it's on my desktop and is more noisy. i used quite a bit of money on the new motherboard, and as such im now considering pulling the plug on doing anything else on this pc and just save up for building a entire new PC.

Building a new loop with a new rad and block might be a option but my pump is now contaminated from the old loop so...

I think building a new loop might be the way, still have some tube around, and the Vario pump can be cleaned, if i do it correctly. I use a silver stick as a kill coil BTW, seems to work okay so far.