Nostromo: X99 RVE, 5960X, 980ti 3-way SLI, CaseLabs STH10, Hardline [Update: FINAL VIDEO!]

rarifiedbovine
Hey all,

Well, this is it.  Likely the most extravagant computer I'll ever build.  I'll be painting the motherboard, installing an illuminated midplate, and generally making "no compromises," as Nils might say.

I have some cool ideas of where to take this thing, and can't wait to share them with you all.  I'll also be following along with videos, which I'll post here.  Hopefully y'all will find them helpful.  

But, first things first!  The parts:

Components

CPU: Intel i7 5960X

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Rampage V Extreme

GPU: 3x EVGA SuperClocked GTX 980Ti

RAM: 64 GB G.skill Ripjaws 3000 Mhz

OS Drive: Samsung SM951 256 GB m.2 SSD

Application Drive: Intel 750 400GB PCIe NVMe SSD

Data Drive: Intel 730 1TB SSD

PSU: Corsair AX 1500i  

Watercooling

CPU/RAM Loop:

ASUS Rampage V Monoblock

EK Monarch RAM Blocks with Clear Acrylic Tops

Aquacomputer Aqualis 800 Reservoir, Aquacomputer D5 Pump and Pump Top

HWLabs Black Ice GTX 560 Radiator w/ Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro PL-2 PWM fans

Mayhems Pastel Ice White

GPU Loop Loop:

3x EK-FC Nickel (Original CSQ) GPU Waterblocks & Backplates

EK-FC Triple Serial SLI Block

Aquacomputer Aqualis 800 Reservoir, Aquacomputer D5 Pump and Pump Top

CPU 2x EK XE 480 Radiators w/ EK Vardar PWM fans

Mayhems Pastel Mint Greent

Other Parts

Aquacomputer Aquaero 6XT

Aquacomputer Farbwerk

PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Onyx Black Tubing

PrimoChill 1/2in Rigid PETG Tubing

Tons of fittings, mostly Bitspower

Without further ado, let's build this case!

So many parts.  Could not be happy with the build quality.  Not a single screw was missing, and everything is super sturdy.

o3iJAG5.jpg

NjuWlh3.jpg

The indispensable manual: 

S0UDqHG.jpg

Just in time for Halloween, we have the skeleton.  Spooky!

Rh6nhBC.jpg

nCme8nP.jpg

I love the brackets for the radiators and fans--makes them super easy to install in the case.

FXREFyj.jpg

Must climb the summit of Aquacomputer mountain:

grDhuMG.jpg

Here is the pump installed in the pump-top:

F2FJvDm.jpg

Sizing up the holes to drill in the reservoir:

NVG4yDi.jpg

And here's the test-fit in order to get the custom cable lengths and other necessary measurements:

PXfyQJL.jpg

Nice, going to follow :)

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

giphy.gif

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

You know the build is awesome when just the pictures slow my browser to a crawl.

My browser slowed to a crawl and my fans ramped up. :D

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

That looks amazing! Which case are you using?

Best of luck! I am following! :D

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 560  Memory: 8GB DDR3 1866mhz  Storage: 1TB Seagate 7200rpm Internal, 2TB RAID 10 External  MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V

CPU: Intel Core i5 4550 GPU:  MSI Gefroce GTX 760  Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600mhz Storage: 1TB Westen Digital 7200rpm, 128GB SSD  MOBO: Gigabyte Model

Refurbished (by me :D) Alienware m17xr3 with CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k GPU: AMD Radeon 6870m   Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600mhz  Storage: 1TB  Western Digital 7200rpm

Thanks!  I'm using the CaseLabs STH10.  You can find it here: http://www.caselabs-store.com/magnum-sth10/

It ain't cheap, especially with all the trimmings, but I really think you get what you pay for in this case. (Haha, "case").

Personally I'd get 2 Titan X Gpus instead of the 3 980ti's but nice job so far

Interesting.  Have you seen anyone make that comparison?

• 2 weeks later...

Damn this is cool!

This makes me want to get the SMA8 so much :)

Cant wait to see more pics!

*Gets popcorn* Where are the next pictures?

giphy.gif

Nice, going to follow :)

You know the build is awesome when just the pictures slow my browser to a crawl.

Thanks so much for all the support so far!  New pictures coming up tomorrow or Monday, but for now, here's a video I put up to showcase the first part.  Really eager to hear your thoughts!

What does one do when there's no such thing as an Asus Rampage V Black Edition?  Make your own, of course!

Before:

LPm5aDt.jpg

The red really doesn't go with my system, and is generally obnoxious.

XWyxMPo.jpg

Tools of the trade.  X-acto, tons of tape, acrylic paint, and brushes.

I also used a cheapo DDR4 stick of ram (as though there is such a thing!) and an old PCIe card to block each slot as I painted it.  There are other techniques out there of course.  Spraypaint, Plasti-Dip, etc.  But I felt like this would give me the nicest finish, precision, and a bit of texture to boot.  I'll post a video of the process this weekend but for now, here are the results...

FCylOKh.jpg

92jbJsj.jpg

Not too shabby.  You can still see a bit of red inside the slots, but none once they're plugged, and I'd rather have that then the chance of the contacts getting messed up.

Looks sexy

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  

So many parts.  Could not be happy with the build quality.  Not a single screw was missing, and everything is super sturdy.

Huh, I've always heard that caselabs are great... Jk, I think you meant "could not be less happy".

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

OK folks, got a few updates, comin' in hot!  Mostly for waterblocks placement.

First, a few shots of the motherboard block (EK's Full Cover Monoblock).  I really like it, and it wasn't too hard to put on.  

zSeXBrM.jpg

k8MfJTU.jpg

Y4qezHv.jpg

Next, I put on the EK full cover blocks for the GTX 980 Tis:

wYOD2V3.jpg

D1o3lqj.jpg

2kOgr4n.jpg

Finally, I did the RAM blocks.  Step one was removing the Ripjaws heatspreader with a heat gun and some old fashioned prying.  Be careful!  A friend (ahem) once ripped off one of the chips in this process.

eiu09Ij.jpg

YE9U69W.jpg

Unfortunately, the adhesive leaves some weird residue on the chips:

mrQQ8Kn.jpg

Normally, I use isopropyl alcohol or the specialized TIM remover for this task, but the TIM remover wasn't working well on the adhesive, and I was all out of alcohol.  Nail polish remover, while not recommended, will do the trick:

NQ1zcN1.jpg

Now for the thermal pads:

DuZCNTD.jpg

And then putting on the Monarch heatspreaders.  Note that when you're putting the ram sticks into the heatspreaders, make sure they're in roughly the same position.  DIMMs on the board don't move, obviously, so you want the Monarch screw holes to all line up when the RAM is in so that you can properly attach the waterblock on top.

ayonDVt.jpg

Now to see it all on the mobo:

EE8oa8J.jpg

3sP1oWR.jpg

XEUePl7.jpg

Au revoir!  More details about the process and such in my video log, which will go up this weekend.

Looks good, keep it up :)

My rig: 

God this is something I've been dreaming about doing, just need the actual excuse to do so! Will follow as this looks promising, good luck and keep up the amazing work :) 

CPU: i7 8700k   Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero  RAM: 16GB @ 3600Mhz  GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G  Case: Fractal Design R5 (4 Intakes/3Exhausts)  Storage: Crucial BX100 SSD, Samsung 850 & Seagate 2TB HDD  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo '850W'  CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GT 

I forgot just how tall that case is. It look about as tall as a 10 year old.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot just how tall that case is. It look about as tall as a 10 year old.

I think it's more like a four-year-old, but yeah, basically.

Yeah the monoblock looks awesome on it

I totally agree!

Just put up the latest video for your viewing pleasure!  Would love your suggestions and feedback on the build and the video.

Yeah a green build! :D Nice work, cant wait to see more!

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

This is one of the best builds I have seen !

I think that you are insane painting the Rampage 5 Extreme though. I was scared to touch mine when I was building my PC

Yeah a green build! :D Nice work, cant wait to see more!

Many thanks!  Yeah, the sleeving will be green and gray, with some white!

This is one of the best builds I have seen !

I think that you are insane painting the Rampage 5 Extreme though. I was scared to touch mine when I was building my PC

Hah, like I said--not for the faint of heart.  But I think as you work with this stuff more, you get to learn what is very fragile and sensitive, and what isn't.  When it comes down to it, the plastic parts on the mobo are just that--plastic.  they were painted once, and they can be painted again.

Dream build for sure! Have you been thinking of maybe polishing the blocks to make them clear?

Looks good so far :)

Project Dark Knightmare

Check my profile for social media pages.