The new Humble Bundle and its implications.

Okay this is how this works boys and girls.

EA gets a HUGE charity write off by giving away their codes to this charity.  Remember, they can write off like up to 10% of their gross earning towards a tax break from charitable contributions :)

This charity funds money by giving away codes for contributions.

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

It also taught be that origin is awful. I'm not able to redeem my codes right now. Yay EA.

It also taught be that origin is awful. I'm not able to redeem my codes right now. Yay EA.

But its getting bombarded by a lot of people. Steam did the same thing on the first day of it's summer sale. 

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

I'm having no problems redeeming my codes.

I'm having no problems redeeming my codes.

Hmm. that weird. I'm getting some thing like "we cant redeem right now but we've got our best people on it right now."

Hmm. that weird. I'm getting some thing like "we cant redeem right now but we've got our best people on it right now."

Try to use this page:   https://www.origin.com/us/account

Many countries are having issues, but the USA site seems to be running fine now.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

There were a ton of issues a few hours ago, but most people seem to be able to redeem now.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Did you buy Dead Space 3 on release only to now find that people can grab it and 5 other titles for $1?

umm u could say the exact same thing to pretty much any item on sale in the world

cars etc

expensive when new

cheap when old 

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Did you buy Dead Space 3 on release only to now find that people can grab it and 5 other titles for $1?

Everyone who wanted to buy Dead Space 3 has already bought it. There aren't many people left that would be willing to purchase it, so there's really no loss. If you bought Dead Space 3 on realease it's because you wanted to play the game on release. I bought skyrim on release knowing full well it would get a huge discount eventually, for example.

Just like with Dead Space 3, barely anyone will buy any of the other games now, including BF3. EA isn't really losing any money. They are also giving a lot of people reason to start using origin which will undoubtly raise their sales and make a slightly better image for themselves by practically donation millions of dollars to charity. They lose nothing and win a lot, it was an incredibly smart move by EA.

I think putting games where new versions are coming out soon is a great idea. It gets people interested in the new title and breathes a bit of life back in to the old title. People who picked up battlefield 3 for example may also buy some of the DLC for it and EA will make money on that.

Anyway, why complain about getting great titles so cheap.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM: 8GB Kingston Beast 1866MHz

Case: Define R4 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780ti | PSU: Corsair CX600M | SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

.... and a Partridge in a pear tree! 

this teches us one thing

if the game costs allot on lunch

wait a few months it will be on 50% off in steam

or in some bundle

this teches us one thing

if the game costs allot on lunch

wait a few months it will be on 50% off in steam

or in some bundle

That isn't a new concept. In fact, that IS the Steam concept. It has been this way for years. This is partially why it is cheaper in the long run to own a high end Gaming PC. What you spend on hardware, you'll more than make up for with cheaper titles.

Think of all the $60 console games people buy for 360 and ps3. People often have dozens of games (If not more), easily spending hundreds of dollars, if not over $1000, on games. And even when a game makes it to the bargain bin in Wal-Mart after 3-4 years, it's still $10 or $20, when a really good Steam Sale will net you AAA games for $5 or less.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

That isn't a new concept. In fact, that IS the Steam concept. It has been this way for years. This is partially why it is cheaper in the long run to own a high end Gaming PC. What you spend on hardware, you'll more than make up for with cheaper titles.

Think of all the $60 console games people buy for 360 and ps3. People often have dozens of games (If not more), easily spending hundreds of dollars, if not over $1000, on games. And even when a game makes it to the bargain bin in Wal-Mart after 3-4 years, it's still $10 or $20, when a really good Steam Sale will net you AAA games for $5 or less.

I never thought of it like that but now I am glad I am a dedicated PC game right haha

I dont t

Okay this is how this works boys and girls.

EA gets a HUGE charity write off by giving away their codes to this charity.  Remember, they can write off like up to 10% of their gross earning towards a tax break from charitable contributions :)

This charity funds money by giving away codes for contributions.

That doesn’t make it a bad thing. Lots of money goes to charity, gamers get cheap games and EA games get allot of publicity which will help drive sales for future titles such as BF4 Sims4 (whatever..).

Nothing wrong with any of that imo.  

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

I think the only reason that this could be considered "bad" in any way, is just because of leftover (or bandwagon) Anti-EA butthurt. Yeah, EA can be a douche, but so can lots of companies.

We got some pretty damn good games for cheap, and charity got over... $4.8 million dollars, with still 12 hours to go on the clock. We, gamers, just raised $4.8 MILLION dollars for charity in a very short time frame. That alone makes it 100% worth while.

Lets assume that the average person leaves the default split:

That is over $500,000 EACH for AIDS and cancer charities, which go towards research for cures, treatment, and supplementing or sponsoring treatment for those who cannot afford it.

Well done gamers. Frankly, this shit should be on the news. Some cute little kid raises $1000 for charity and it makes headlines, but gamers raise $5 million, and I doubt the major news networks will pick it up or give it much coverage.

I think the only reason that this could be considered "bad" in any way, is just because of leftover (or bandwagon) Anti-EA butthurt. Yeah, EA can be a douche, but so can lots of companies.

We got some pretty damn good games for cheap, and charity got over... $4.8 million dollars, with still 12 hours to go on the clock. We, gamers, just raised $4.8 MILLION dollars for charity in a very short time frame. That alone makes it 100% worth while.

Lets assume that the average person leaves the default split:

That is over $500,000 EACH for AIDS and cancer charities, which go towards research for cures, treatment, and supplementing or sponsoring treatment for those who cannot afford it.

Well done gamers. Frankly, this shit should be on the news. Some cute little kid raises $1000 for charity and it makes headlines, but gamers raise $5 million, and I doubt the major news networks will pick it up or give it much coverage.

I think a kid raising $1000 for charity is more noble than what allot of the humble bundle buyers do which is pay as little as possible to get the games they want with the only real motivation for buying the bundle being the games not the charity.

P.s. I put all of mine into the humble tip and none to charity...

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

I think a kid raising $1000 for charity is more noble than what allot of the humble bundle buyers do which is pay as little as possible to get the games they want with the only real motivation for buying the bundle being the games not the charity.

P.s. I put all of mine into the humble tip and none to charity...

Yeah of course an individual kid raising $1000 is more noble, but that doesn't mean that the charity raised here is therefore ignoble.

The point I was trying to get at was that, it doesn't matter HOW MUCH the kid raises, but because we are gamers, the mainstream media and society doesn't take focus on us unless it's something like "Oh well video games caused that shooting". I think that the fact that $5 million was raised for charity (roughly speaking of course) is definitely news worthy, and should be put into the mainstream media spotlight to showcase that gamers, are in fact, human beings capable of great acts of kindness, not senseless murder machines who play virtual sex and murder simulations.

And just for the record, the top contributor is now up to $2000. So that's a single gamer donating $2000 to charity (Assuming he didn't put it all into the Humble Tip... which I don't think he did). I'd like to see the actual breakdown of how much went to which charity, but I don't know if Humble Bundle releases that info, if so it'll likely be after the bundle is over.

Yeah of course an individual kid raising $1000 is more noble, but that doesn't mean that the charity raised here is therefore ignoble.

The point I was trying to get at was that, it doesn't matter HOW MUCH the kid raises, but because we are gamers, the mainstream media and society doesn't take focus on us unless it's something like "Oh well video games caused that shooting". I think that the fact that $5 million was raised for charity (roughly speaking of course) is definitely news worthy, and should be put into the mainstream media spotlight to showcase that gamers, are in fact, human beings capable of great acts of kindness, not senseless murder machines who play virtual sex and murder simulations.

And just for the record, the top contributor is now up to $2000. So that's a single gamer donating $2000 to charity (Assuming he didn't put it all into the Humble Tip... which I don't think he did). I'd like to see the actual breakdown of how much went to which charity, but I don't know if Humble Bundle releases that info, if so it'll likely be after the bundle is over.

On the subject of the media’s perception of gaming you are absolutely correct. I think the direction gaming is heading in (it is actually evolving with technology) scares some traditional media outlets because they know that the model television is built on is dated and many of their user base is leaving them.

I wouldnt mind a humble bundle like this from steam..

Valve

FTFY

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

I wouldnt mind a humble bundle like this from steam..

While we don't get the "pay what you want" system, nor does it go to charity, we DO get similar prices with Steam Summer Sales and other sales, with titles routinely 75% off.

I'd like to see a Humble Bundle style Valve sale where the proceeds are donated to charity. They could even just do their HL series + L4D 1&2 + Portal 1&2... Or... you know...  just release HL2:Ep3/HL3?

While we don't get the "pay what you want" system, nor does it go to charity, we DO get similar prices with Steam Summer Sales and other sales, with titles routinely 75% off.

I'd like to see a Humble Bundle style Valve sale where the proceeds are donated to charity. They could even just do their HL series + L4D 1&2 + Portal 1&2... Or... you know...  just release HL2:Ep3/HL3?

I would die for Hl3 and HL2:Ep3

I am a happy wuffy