My plan - your opinion?

BlackVirus

Hi yall, 

so I need some extra storage as well as performance and was considering to stack up some SSDs now that they are becoming somewhat affordable.

Currently I have a few HDs and a Kingston SSD, which currently runs my OS. I know the SSD is not much but I have recently looked into the whole RAID thing and thought I would do as the following:

• Buy another 120GB identical Kingston SSD and run in RAID 0
  • Buy another "proper" SSD for my system e.g. Crucial BX100 (500gb ver)

Question is,

• is this approach useful or am I wasting money for the 2nd Kingston drive. 
  • Is the Crucial SSD good/or would you recommend me a better SSD in the same price range

My main tasks are gaming only so I'm looking to get some stutter free gameplay by improving overall performance.

A second drive with such a small SSD won't make it any different. Many 120 GB SSDs have poor performance, usually as fast as half the 240/480 models. I'd stick with a bigger SSD for your system, OCZs are freakin' cheap, you can grab a 480 GB Trion100 for few bucks, for example. I'd also switch to a bigger HDD in order to replace all of your HDDs in your system.

You'll absorb less power, datas will be more organized and you're gonna enjoy low noise operations since it's just 1 mechanical drive working.

ssd doesnt  affect gaming at all, just loading time. I would just buy another ssd, and run raid 0 but u would have to reinstall windows, thats is if u wanna save money. Otherwise, buy Samsung Evo 850, its more worth it than the Crucial.

My main tasks are gaming only so I'm looking to get some stutter free gameplay by improving overall performance.

SSDs won't fix that

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

~snip~

Hey there BlackVirus,

Gaming generally relies on the storage's performance only for the loading times and autosaves. FPS and graphics stay unaffected as they are influenced solely bu the CPU, GPU and amount of memory in the computer. Only a few games need to load huge texture files while in-game (usually open-world games and MMOs) and thus the world around you would load faster and smoother. 
Generally, larger single SSDs perform better compared to smaller ones. I'd say a new larger one would be the better choice and keep the old one rather than get another identical one and form a RAID0. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/