Help oldschool dude understand XMP

Go to solution Solved by Leonard,

XMP is just already tested RAM profile that has been tested to work, in some cases it can give a faster system as the timings/latency are tightened/made shorter and the frequency is increased. This takes the lengthy time consuming and grey hair making frustration from the end user if he/she had to do it themselves, especially if you are new to OCing a RAM kit to a stable OC.

The lower the timings/latency of a XMP the faster the RAM will be. 

For XMP to be stable, all RAM sticks must be able to run at the same timings/latency, frequency and voltages, which is why different sticks of RAM is not really recommended, it is always best to have the same XMP RAM kit.

EDIT: Answered, thanks all

So im the guy who overclocked with LGA775 chips and then since 2009 I took a huge break in PC hardware stuff

But my PC is 8 years old now with Core 2 Duo, 320GB HDD, 4gb ram and I feel a new PC could be useful with skylake just being released

Ive researched past month about all the latest technologies and computer components, but I still don't get what "XMP" is

I know that you have to enable it in BIOS and its related to RAM but whats the purpose of it? 

Ive tried reading about it but can someone please explain it in their own words lol

^_^

CPU: Intel i7-6700K | MB: Asus Z170-A | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming OC @ GTX 980 Perf. | CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 | COOLER: Coolermaster HYPER 212 EVO |

RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Savage | STORAGE:  Western Digital HDD & Samsung 850 EVO SSD | PSU: Fractal Design Edison M 550W | SCREEN: Dell U2412M 24"

it loads the ideal memory profile for your dimms so you dont have to mess with it your self, some ram have more than 1 profile 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

XMP is the much needed memory standard, basically if the memory supports xmp and motherboard supports xmp the ram will run at clocks advertised, avoiding most compatibility problems that ram had back in the day.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

XMP is the much needed memory standard, basically if the memory supports xmp and motherboard supports xmp the ram will run at clocks advertised, avoiding most compatibility problems that ram had back in the day.

sums it up

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

hm interesting, okay thanks

^_^

CPU: Intel i7-6700K | MB: Asus Z170-A | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming OC @ GTX 980 Perf. | CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 | COOLER: Coolermaster HYPER 212 EVO |

RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Savage | STORAGE:  Western Digital HDD & Samsung 850 EVO SSD | PSU: Fractal Design Edison M 550W | SCREEN: Dell U2412M 24"

hm interesting, okay thanks

Don't thank, leave a like on people's posts.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

XMP is just already tested RAM profile that has been tested to work, in some cases it can give a faster system as the timings/latency are tightened/made shorter and the frequency is increased. This takes the lengthy time consuming and grey hair making frustration from the end user if he/she had to do it themselves, especially if you are new to OCing a RAM kit to a stable OC.

The lower the timings/latency of a XMP the faster the RAM will be. 

For XMP to be stable, all RAM sticks must be able to run at the same timings/latency, frequency and voltages, which is why different sticks of RAM is not really recommended, it is always best to have the same XMP RAM kit.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Don't thank, leave a like on people's posts.

dont ask for likes

5. Signatures & Profiles

Signature information must adhere to these guidelines:

• No signature will exceed 3 lines in length on a 1080p screen.
  • No signature will ask for reputation, likes, stars or any such ego-enhancing things.
  • No signature shall have an image.
  • No signature shall be animated in any way, avatars are allowed to be animated for now. Avatars must not contain any rapid and sharp color changes (flashing, blinking, etc.) as these can cause epileptic seizures.
  • Do not manually type in a signature or sign-off at the end of every post; signatures are only allowed using the built-in signature function.
  • Do not increase font size beyond size 14.
  • Signatures are text only

Key Switches Guide | LLT Beginner Guide | GPU TDP & Power Consumption Explained | PSU Tier

s a d b o y s 2 0 0 1