good laptops in this general criteria

VioDuskar

meeting these criteria:

SSD or 2 HDD drive bays.

8GB RAM or less if on DDR3 standard. 

a decent i7 mobile CPU

a discrete GPU. 

blue teeth are a plus. 

i like my current 17inch laptop, and i do programming, so i'd like a larger screen, but i'm also thinking of getting a surface pro3 instead and just keep using my old dell studio 1747.

thoughts?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

GS70?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

CPUIntel Core i7-4790K 4.8GHz Moherboard: MSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition Memory: HyperX FURY White 24GB DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus GTX 970 Turbo

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750w SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB HDDWB Blue 1TB Monitor: (2x) BenQ GL2460HM 24-Inch Case: NZXT S340 White

GS70?

Gigabyte P35W v2. Nice, inexpensive, small and powerful. Discrete GPU.

Just note that it does get toasty on your lap :D

i'm trying to keep it uner 1000USD 600-800 would be preferable.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

You should lead with that. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152742

I still think getting up to GS70 is worth it, especially if you plan on carrying the laptop and playing games on it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152708&cm_re=gs70-_-34-152-708-_-Product

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I don't recommend the Y-50 as I have one its more trouble than its worth and it only has one hdd slot

How is it trouble? Sitting at mine right now and the only issues I've had so far is multitouch stopping to work because the new ELAN driver messer it up and I'm too lazy to fix it. 

But yeah, definitely get the SSD version (OP said one SSD *or* two HDD bays, presumably he just wants an SSD one way or another) and make sure to get the newer one with the non shit screen. Look for the UHD one used if you can, it seems lots of people throw theirs out because they can't drive games at native res and are upset.

I was going to suggest an AMD A10-based laptop, as for most general applications it does really really well. I have a 4600M laptop with the screen cut off that works great as a little server.

How is it trouble? Sitting at mine right now and the only issues I've had so far is multitouch stopping to work because the new ELAN driver messer it up and I'm too lazy to fix it. 

But yeah, definitely get the SSD version (OP said one SSD *or* two HDD bays, presumably he just wants an SSD one way or another) and make sure to get the newer one with the non shit screen. Look for the UHD one used if you can, it seems lots of people throw theirs out because they can't drive games at native res and are upset.

Quality is an issue, ive had issues with the laptop cracking near the hinge and the screen being worse than my second gen ipod when it comes to viewing angles

Quality is an issue, ive had issues with the laptop cracking near the hinge and the screen being worse than my second gen ipod when it comes to viewing angles

Huh, strange, mine's used and there's only a small gap in the front left (where the LEDs are). And the glossy plastic has some few microscratches. I could see the heat being bad for the plastic near the hinge, though.

And yes, on the older Full HD unit the screen is horrible. Lenovo really saved some money there... I was so lucky to get the UHD for €750 because someone didn't know how to get rid of viruses, that screen is just the nicest thing I've ever looked at.

Huh, strange, mine's used and there's only a small gap in the front left (where the LEDs are). And the glossy plastic has some few microscratches. I could see the heat being bad for the plastic near the hinge, though.

And yes, on the older Full HD unit the screen is horrible. Lenovo really saved some money there... I was so lucky to get the UHD for €750 because someone didn't know how to get rid of viruses, that screen is just the nicest thing I've ever looked at.

I'm not the only one with creaking and cracking on the lenovo y-50, other people have reported it also

I'm not the only one with creaking and cracking on the lenovo y-50, other people have reported it also

That sucks the big one. Hope that I won't have that problem...