Does there become a point when more radiators won't make a difference?

So I have two loops one for gpu' and one for CPU each loop has two 360mm each total overkill anyway I wanted to know if using just one loop with dual 360mm radiators would make any difference in terms of temp or at least a small difference obviously I would expect it to be higher in temp by maybe 1-5 degrees the rads are EK PE series with double stacked fins I think they are 35mm thick but they might be 40mm.

I'm trying to cut back noise a bit 12 fans can get a bit noisy even when stepped down.

What do you guys think would it make much difference?

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

I wanted to know if using just one loop with dual 360mm radiators

You mean connecting the CPU and GPU loop and making it one? It would be better because the heat would get spread out and managed more efficiently.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

So I have two loops one for gpu' and one for CPU each loop has two 360mm each total overkill anyway I wanted to know if using just one loop with dual 360mm radiators would make any difference in terms of temp or at least a small difference obviously I would expect it to be higher in temp by maybe 1-5 degrees the rads are EK PE series with double stacked fins I think they are 35mm thick but they might be 40mm.

I'm trying to cut back noise a bit 12 fans can get a bit noisy even when stepped down.

Give this a view....

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Get quieter fans?

I have quiet addition SP 120mm fans using the 7v step down and I like the design of them I custom painted the rings to match my build color theme so don't really want to change them.

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

Yea sp120's are really bad fans just saying.

Vardar, Noctua, Venturi, Bequiet (if not in US) are all much much better options in both performance and noise.

Also with the voltage you are running on that 5960x you could probably just not use push/pull and be fine.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

the closer you get to ambient temperature, the less difference adding radiators makes

but you need a ton of radiators to even get close to ambient (under load) and nobody has ever done that with a PC

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Is this your desk build with the 12 SP120s? Yeah I can see why you're having problems with noise. Quieter fans that are undervolted or at least controlled with a fan controller should be able to help your noise level. There is always a point of diminished returns and a ceiling, and I think you've gone so far past the former that you've hit the latter with that much radiator space. Two triple-120mm radiators would probably be well past the point of diminished returns for just a CPU and 2xGPU. But that also means you should be able to use low RPM fans to keep things quiet without sacrificing much in cooling. Just make sure you're still going to have enough airflow that the fans don't get choked off.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

the closer you get to ambient temperature, the less difference adding radiators makes

but you need a ton of radiators to even get close to ambient (under load) and nobody has ever done that with a PC

That guy from OC3D did

Kek

Vardar, Noctua, Venturi, Bequiet (if not in US) are all much much better options in both performance and noise.

Also with the voltage you are running on that 5960x you could probably just not use push/pull and be fine.

My PC is currently not useable becuase my motherboard died pretty much 3 hours into use kept saying overclocks failed even though I didn't have an overclock set I set everything to defaults as I was having thermal problems even at stock so I'm trying to decide whether to get a corsair 780t and just have two 360mm rads or to stick with my desk build but I have no idea how to combat the current heat issue when it has the glass in.

Custom PC:

That guy from OC3D did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUbpb23yTK8

Kek

Lol but that was just a joke/prank it sounded so bad as well

Custom PC:

Jaytwocents's Skunkworks also uses SP120s. It isn't the best fan, but not that terrible. Especially when the OP has so much radiator space, that allows the fans to run really slow speed. The SP120 will do just fine.

Lol but that was just a joke/prank it sounded so bad as well

Yeah. There's so many people in his Youtube comments that thought the video was completely serious.

Is this your desk build with the 12 SP120s? Yeah I can see why you're having problems with noise. Quieter fans that are undervolted or at least controlled with a fan controller should be able to help your noise level. There is always a point of diminished returns and a ceiling, and I think you've gone so far past the former that you've hit the latter with that much radiator space. Two triple-120mm radiators would probably be well past the point of diminished returns for just a CPU and 2xGPU. But that also means you should be able to use low RPM fans to keep things quiet without sacrificing much in cooling. Just make sure you're still going to have enough airflow that the fans don't get choked off.

The desk build hasn't gone great so far I have been experiencing problems that a lot of people did with the lianli desks I have huge vent and gaps for air to get in and out but my air preassure must be negative becuase my temps almost hit the high 90s and probably would have kept climbing if I didn't stop the test this was at stock on the CPU so now trying to decide if o should just get a corsair 780t. I have a great idea for the desk so it doesn't go to waste though lol

Custom PC:

Yeah. There's so many people in his Youtube comments that thought the video was completely serious.

it would be impossible to get minus temps with fans and rads unless you went to the artic but even then the PC would die instantly in that environment can't believe people thought he was being serious lol :D

Custom PC:

My PC is currently not useable becuase my motherboard died pretty much 3 hours into use kept saying overclocks failed even though I didn't have an overclock set I set everything to defaults as I was having thermal problems even at stock so I'm trying to decide whether to get a corsair 780t and just have two 360mm rads or to stick with my desk build but I have no idea how to combat the current heat issue when it has the glass in.

You shouldn't have any thermal issues at stock with even a 212 Evo let alone the fancy cooling you have. You might however need to add some cooling to the part of your desk that houses the mobo etc since the fans don't cool it there I assume (like a fan on each end pulling air through the glass chamber.)

That or you mounted something wrong.

Another possible issue is if you room doesn't have adequate cooling to keep its temps down, because cases only move heat away from components they don't make it disappear, and if your room is thermally saturated then no amount of case cooling can save it.

Jaytwocents's Skunkworks also uses SP120s. It isn't the best fan, but not that terrible. Especially when the OP has so much radiator space, that allows the fans to run really slow speed. The SP120 will do just fine.

They are AWFUL fans, in today's market there is 0! reason to choose them over other fans available which move more air while being much more quiet even when slowed down. I won't say they don't work, but they are not good. at all. 

The reasons Skunkworks uses them are:

1. They were free.

2. He can make them yellow.

3. Vardar and Venturi fans did not exist then and noctua hadn't made non-shit colored fans. <---- This is by far the biggest reason.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

They work great if I don't have the glass in my desk but with the glass in I think it suffocates the fans one of the fans bearing starts to get loud and then temp just climb when doing anything but idling idle temps on the CPU are 36C with glass and 22C without glass

Custom PC:

You shouldn't have any thermal issues at stock with even a 212 Evo let alone the fancy cooling you have. You might however need to add some cooling to the part of your desk that houses the mobo etc since the fans don't cool it there I assume (like a fan on each end pulling air through the glass chamber.)

They are AWFUL fans, in today's market there is 0! reason to choose them over other fans available which move more air while being much more quiet even when slowed down. I won't say they don't work, but they are not good. at all. 

1. They were free.

3. Vardar and Venturi fans did not exist then and noctua hadn't made non-shit colored fans. <---- This is by far the biggest reason.

I don't think buying a few fans will break Jay's bank account. If he really wants to use Ventturi or Vardar, it's just a phone call away from EK or Fractal Design. Eventhough Vardar and Venturi didn't exist when Jay built his system. Nothing prevents him from upgrading if he really wants to. Last time I checked, his Skunkwork still uses SP120.

SP120 is aweful, that's just your opinion.

Another possible issue is if you room doesn't have adequate cooling to keep its temps down, because cases only move heat away from components they don't make it disappear, and if your room is thermally saturated then no amount of case cooling can save it.

1. They were free.

Double checked all mounting and everything seemed to be mounted right, room temp starts at 19c before PC turns on and increases to 25C after a couple hours. Fan wise, I already had a lot of the corsair ones from my previous system. The motherboard issue is a big one air doesn't seem to be reaching it which is a concern luckily I don't think that is why it died as it had a posting issue when I first got it but I managed to fix it but it seems it was only a temporary fix :( no idea how I can get air to the motherboard as the top is pretty restrictive and the back is taken by drives

Custom PC:

They work great if I don't have the glass in my desk but with the glass in I think it suffocates the fans one of the fans bearing starts to get loud and then temp just climb when doing anything but idling idle temps on the CPU are 36C with glass and 22C without glass

Then your air intake of the build is too restrictive.

-Delete-

Custom PC:

Double checked all mounting and everything seemed to be mounted right, room temp starts at 19c before PC turns on and increases to 25C after a couple hours. Fan wise, I already had a lot of the corsair ones from my previous system. The motherboard issue is a big one air doesn't seem to be reaching it which is a concern luckily I don't think that is why it died as it had a posting issue when I first got it but I managed to fix it but it seems it was only a temporary fix :( no idea how I can get air to the motherboard as the top is pretty restrictive and the back is taken by drives

Then finding a way to air out your motherboard should be your top priority.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Then your air intake of the build is too restrictive.

yeah I think I have a slight design flaw or quite a big one becuase airflow is the single most important thing and my airflow sucks :( the fans at the bottoms should have loads of fresh air the trouble with my design is air is brought in from the back instead of having direct air so it's not really efficient at bringing in air.

Custom PC:

Then finding a way to air out your motherboard should be your top priority.

Yeah, I'm not going to use the PC until I figure it out I don't want to have another dead board. I hear this is a common problem with a lot of desk builds a few designs work but some just can't get enough air in or over the mother board.

Custom PC:

I don't think buying a few fans will break Jay's bank account. If he really wants to use Ventturi or Vardar, it's just a phone call away from EK or Fractal Design. Eventhough Vardar and Venturi didn't exist when Jay built his system. Nothing prevents him from upgrading if he really wants to. Last time I checked, his Skunkwork still uses SP120.

SP120 is aweful, that's just your opinion.

I mean he has what 20 fans on that case? That's 400-600 dollars of fans, nothing to sneeze at. Also, see point 1 about color.

SP120's are significantly WORSE than Venturi, Vardar, BeQuiet, Noctua, Gentle Typhoon, and many others (in static pressure, air flow, and noise) and that is a FACT. Whether or not the color options (and other aesthetics) outweigh the performance benefits for you or whether or not SP120s are good ENOUGH...

well... that I cannot tell you.

But if noise is a concern (which the OP says it is), there are literally half a dozen brands out there with much better fan options.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS