lga 115x riser

This would have no practical purpose, but is it possible? Does it exist? How long could it get? Can anyone think of any purpose for it?

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

I see no point to a CPU riser since it doesn't really take up any space.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

No, no, 0cm, no.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Do you mean placing something so the cpu is further away from the socket?

Why would you want that? It would be impossible because it won't be in sync anymore and placing the cpu properly would be a nightmare.

So no, doesn't exist, no need for it.

Only thing i can think of is when you go sub zero because you can increase the amount of space between the cpu and the motherboard so it would be harder for the cold to reach the motherboard. But then again overclocking when the cpu is further will have a negative effect.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

all you would have to do really is get a ribbon cable solder it with gold to the top of the bottom of a dead chip that has all the components removed and do the same with the bottom of a dead motherboard socket.. why? to stack giant air coolers onto each other?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

0cm

Doubt it, you could probably do a little bit of a rise with golden pins perfectly aligned. Why wouldn't you be able to.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

but is it possible?

Yes

Does it exist?

no

How long could it get?

I would presume as long as you want

Can anyone think of any purpose for it? 

No

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

You could probably make one

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

I would presume as long as you want

No, that wouldn't be the case. Signal would get extremely messed up at long rise. You would need some serious shielding.

Even PCI-E risers are extremely touchy and go only as long as 30cm or so, with shielding.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Doubt it, you could probably do a little bit of a rise with golden pins perfectly aligned. Why wouldn't you be able to.

I can think of a variety of reasons; bandwidth reduction, higher latency, interference, how would you mount a cooler?, worse thermal performance... maybe it's possible, but it would cause all sorts of problems for no reason.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I can think of a variety of reasons; bandwidth reduction, higher latency, interference, how would you mount a cooler?, worse thermal performance... maybe it's possible, but it would cause all sorts of problems for no reason.

Yes, but it would probably work at like 1cm. Not 0  :lol:

Spoiler

For those wondering why, I was bored and these are the sorts of ideas I come up with when I'm bored.

I knew that PCI risers exist, and you can attach processor using them, so I was wondering if it would work for CPU sockets. Would it be easier with a different socket? Am3 maybe?

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

For those wondering why, I was bored and these are the sorts of ideas I come up with when I'm bored.

I knew that PCI risers exist, and you can attach processor using them, so I was wondering if it would work for CPU sockets. Would it be easier with a different socket? Am3 maybe?

You're attaching a card to the riser and then the card is mounted somewhere. In the case of the socket riser, where would you put it? Would the riser include the mount, and how robust would the riser mount be?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Yes, but it would probably work at like 1cm. Not 0  :lol:

1cm would probably give you just as many cooler mounting problems as 20 though :P

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's not a simple matter of the CPU needing to physically fit the socket, the BIOS also needs to have official support for the CPU as well. For example, there are Z87 and Z97 boards out there that have not been given updates to support Broadwell CPUs, it doesn't even matter that the socket is the same. Always check CPU compatibility lists.

I read this idea as a sort of adapter to allow a CPU to fit a socket it wasn't designed for. Now I'm less sure, but I'm leaving this here regardless. :P

It's not a simple matter of the CPU needing to physically fit the socket, the BIOS also needs to have official support for the CPU as well. For example, there are Z87 and Z97 boards out there that have not been given updates to support Broadwell CPUs, it doesn't even matter that the socket is the same. Always check CPU compatibility lists.

I read this as a sort of adapter to allow one CPU to fit a socket it wasn't designed for. Now I'm less sure, but I'm leaving this here regardless. :P

He's thinking about something similar to PCIe risers. I mean, it's still pointless, but he isn't trying to fit a CPU into a socket where it doesn't belong.

see the wiggly bits of traces on a motherboard? those are there to delay signals by minuscule amounts of time to keep stuff in sync. The timing is so prcise that even the tiniest change in timings will fuck up the whole system

Current Rig

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 @4.0ghz MOBO: MSI Z87m-G45 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4) CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120v GPU: MSI R9 270x PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Case: Corsair Air 240 (modded) SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb HDD: Samsung 1tb Apple Hard Drive Mouse: Razer Naga 2014

Doubt it. Only difference between AMD and Intel socket is where pins are. You are still having floating socket and need for cooler mounting. Plus the cableing between. With PCIe risers, each small cable in ribbon represents one pin. Think about cable with 1150 small cables for pins. Not really practical enough to be useful.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv