3570K still viable?

Timmy-P

Hello,

I've been looking for a way to upgrade from my APU for quite a while now, especially since I got some birthday money ready to spend.  I found a couple of good deals on r/hardwareswap, in which I might be able to get an i5 3570K for $145, with a plethora of motherboards on the cheap.  But buying that would put my two generations behind, obviously, now that Skylake is out, which is mildly concerning...

So my question here is this:  Is the Ivy Bridge line of CPUs still up to par in late 2015 (in the context of gaming)?  Is it a bad move to jump on the 3570K right now, or should I simply save up for the 4xxx series, or even Skylake (that will drop in price by the time I get enough for the 4xxx series, lol).  Would I be wasting my money on getting this, putting myself in the same spot I was in a year and a half ago when I bought my APU?

[witty signature]

In terms of cost to performance ratio, the 3570K will be the better option in my opinion.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hello,

I've been looking for a way to upgrade from my APU for quite a while now, especially since I got some birthday money ready to spend.  I found a couple of good deals on r/hardwareswap, in which I might be able to get an i5 3570K for $145, with a plethora of motherboards on the cheap.  But buying that would put my two generations behind, obviously, now that Skylake is out, which is mildly concerning...

So my question here is this:  Is the Ivy Bridge line of CPUs still up to par in late 2015 (in the context of gaming)?  Is it a bad move to jump on the 3570K right now, or should I simply save up for the 4xxx series, or even Skylake (that will drop in price by the time I get enough for the 4xxx series, lol).  Would I be wasting my money on getting this, putting myself in the same spot I was in a year and a half ago when I bought my APU?

A 3570k still performs great. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I sit at 75% CPU use when playing my most CPU intensive game, GTA:V. (I own a 3570K) On Ultra. 3570K would work fine today.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Have a 3570k, overclocked to 4.2 (can overclock to 4.5 but due to dust and warmer summer temps, downclocked it to keep it under 75) and preforms great with my 290x :D

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

My 3570k at 4.6 GHz and my 780 ti are beast. There is no real reason to take advantage of LGA 1150 when 1155 is still going strong. I have seen no reason to upgrade to Haswell or later gens when old gens are still kicking it. I'd say jump on it and OC that chip.

In terms of cost to performance ratio, the 3570K will be the better option in my opinion.

A 3570k still performs great. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

I sit at 75% CPU use when playing my most CPU intensive game, GTA:V. (I own a 3570K) On Ultra. 3570K would work fine today.

Have a 3570k, overclocked to 4.2 (can overclock to 4.5 but due to dust and warmer summer temps, downclocked it to keep it under 75) and preforms great with my 290x :D

That was way too fast.

Now to find a motherboard to overclock it.

[witty signature]

Just overclocked it to around 4.4-4.6 GHz and it'll be perfectly adequate for gaming and light productivity tasks. I used to run a mini-ITX system with an 3570K @ 4.4 GHz and a GTX 780 Ti and it ran pretty much all games just fine, especially if you're playing on higher resolutions. Also there is no reason to choose a Haswell proc right now over a Skylake proc as the pricing is basically the same (a quick look at Newegg and you'll see the 4690K is only $20 cheaper than the 6600K, which likely will change in a few months) and of course motherboard pricing is pretty similar as well. So unless you are buying used there is no reason to choose Haswell over Skylake especially given all the improvements that Z170 brings over Z97/87.

Ryzen 7 5800X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | 64GB G.Skill 3600 MHz | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC | Phanteks P500ACorsair RM1000X | 3x2TB NVME, 4TB 870 Evo Arctic Freezer II 280 AIO | LG CX Oled 55" 

The 3570k is still a pretty high end gaming CPU. Highly recommended if you can find a board to overclock it on for a decent price.

...aaaand it turns out he sold it.  RIP.  How's a 2500K sound? :lol:

Well then...

Thanks for suggesting it, however I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment.

[witty signature]

...aaaand it turns out he sold it. RIP. How's a 2500K sound? :lol:

Well then...

Thanks for suggesting it, however I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment.

Would need some OC, but it's still a good CPU. Sandy-bridge might lack some features, but it's not bad.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

Hate to bump this, but I finally purchased a 3570K (if anyone cares), and now I need some quick thoughts on motherboards...

I've heard that Biostar is a brand to stay away from (for Sandy/Ivy Bridge, at least), but I found a refurbished Intel DZ77SL-50K for $44 on eBay.  It looks promising (with a large VRM phase, holy crap), but some reviews on Newegg reveal that detecting the PCIe express slot at all is hit-or-miss depending on the board; does anyone have experience with the mobo in general?

[witty signature]