Interested in Coding and Programming. Any Tips?

The title says it all. I've been interested in coding for a while. Any tips to start? 

codeacademy.com

TAKE ALL THE COURSES

COMPLETE ALL THE COURSES

GET A JOB

make moneys

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

codeacademy really is the best

<3

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Think of something you'd like to make, or what kind of programming you want to get into (e.g. web design or software development?) as a starting point. I can't provide recommendations on what languages to use because there are simpler alternatives versus what I know.

Codeacademy is good, but I and the rest of my computing class aren't fond of it that much (sluggish interface and most people aren't learning much, among other things) but for you it'll be awesome.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

First start with shell scripts, Bash on Linux is awesome for that.

Get comfortable with while do for loop if then else else if etc.

Get an Arduino and learn C++ the practical way.

Study source code on GitHub to see how stuff works.

Get Eclipse and just start typing code.

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

"Code to learn, don't learn to code!" Napalm

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

"Code to learn, don't learn to code!" Napalm

All praise to Napalm!

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

Python is a commonly recommended first language, although I personally know nothing about it.

Java is a good first language too, and if you want to go into that, I recommend the Head First Java book. 

there are tons of tutorials on youtube  and also lynda.com

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Do you have any idea of the type of programs you would like to make? Python is a pretty good place to start if you're not sure and just want to start coding.

This. Python is a great language to start with because of how simple, flexible, and powerful it is. I would really look into it if you are serious about it.

I just started learning ruby simply because it was created on my birthday. I've having a fun time learning it. I am using learning ruby the hard way. I just keep redoing the exercises when I'm bored. It's amazing what one can remember. :)

01101100 01110110 01101100 00100000 00110101 00100000 01101101 01100001 01100111 01101001 01101011 01100001 01110010 01110000 

This. Python is a great language to start with because of how simple, flexible, and powerful it is. I would really look into it if you are serious about it.

I third Python.  It's a great language to start with, and there's a huge community behind it to help you if you get stuck on something.  Plus, it's great about letting you spend more time thinking about the problem you're using Python to solve, how to approach the probelm, and how to deal with any results rather than eating up huge amounts of time with writing the actual code.  There are lots of libraries out there to do just about anything you can possibly imagine, too, so you can use Python for everything from making games to doing physics research to making music.

That said: a lot of people start with Java, and it's the most popular programming language according to TIOBE, so it might be a good choice if you want something more industry-oriented (though Python is getting more and more popular).  I'm told Ruby is also a great language to start with, but I don't know enough about it to say anything meaningful.