Anyone have the locked skylake cpus?

Go to solution Solved by KemoKa,

Skylake is a die shrink. There's nothing remarkable about the locked chips compared to Haswell. They're there to get you off the old (dead, in a way) platform.

Broadwell was the die shrink. Skylake did some other things like moving the FIVR back onto the motherboard like in the days of old. And there are rumours that the processors support Inverse Hyperthreading, where the extra thread of each core can be dedicated to a single thread. That's awesome.

If so how are they compared to haswell locked?

The Brokish Boy v1: CPU: i7-8700k GPU: MSI Gaming X GTX ti MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus X Code Ram: G.Skill Trident Z 4x8gb 3200mhz DRIVES: 2x3TB WD Black , 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 500gb 970 EVO SSD Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black Headphone: ATH-MSR7 Mic: Blue Yeti Monitors: 27" BenQ GW2765 1440p; IPS, 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p; VA

Skylake is a die shrink. There's nothing remarkable about the locked chips compared to Haswell. They're there to get you off the old (dead, in a way) platform.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

If they support BCLK tuning as well as their k series CPU's, they are actually a massive increase, because you'll be able to clock them nearly to as far as the unlocked chips.

200+ BCLK is quite easily achievable from the reviews I've seen, some people have gotten as high as 550 bclk on Ln2.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

If they support BCLK tuning as well as their k series CPU's, they are actually a massive increase, because you'll be able to clock them nearly to as far as the unlocked chips.

oh yea...forgot about the change to BCLK OCing, wonder how far they can be taken.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

oh yea...forgot about the change to BCLK OCing, wonder how far they can be taken.

If intel doesn't lock stuff down and they have base-speeds of like 3.6 ghz, probably 4+ will be easily achievable if you know what you're doing. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Broadwell was the die shrink. Skylake did some other things like moving the FIVR back onto the motherboard like in the days of old. And there are rumours that the processors support Inverse Hyperthreading, where the extra thread of each core can be dedicated to a single thread. That's awesome.

"Inverse Hyperthreading" would mean combining multiple PHYSICAL cores to perform a single threaded task. As in "turning a quad core into dual core" of sorts. Hyperthreading doesn't mean that there is a magical "two cores in one" doubling of cores. It's simply a more clever way of utilizing resources that are already there in the CPU. Hyperthreading doesn't mean "two cores working in parallell" it means that one single core can start working on a second thread before it's finished working on the first thread. The two threads will move through the pipeline one after the other, not side-by-side so to speak. So Hyperthreading =/= having two threads in each core. If you understood how superscalar CPU architecture worked, then you'd have no problem understanding how Hyperthreading works as well.

"Inverse Hyperthreading" would mean combining multiple PHYSICAL cores to perform a single threaded task. As in "turning a quad core into dual core" of sorts. Hyperthreading doesn't mean that there is a magical "two cores in one" doubling of cores. It's simply a more clever way of utilizing resources that are already there in the CPU. Hyperthreading doesn't mean "two cores working in parallell" it means that one single core can start working on a second thread before it's finished working on the first thread. The two threads will move through the pipeline one after the other, not side-by-side so to speak. So Hyperthreading =/= having two threads in each core. If you understood how superscalar CPU architecture worked, then you'd have no problem understanding how Hyperthreading works as well.

I understand how hyperthreading works, thanks very much. I was simply misinformed by the article I read on the concept of inverse hyperthreading. I had heard that it was the dedication of the hyperthreading resources of each core to a pooled thread, so to speak. Perhaps I misheard. I had suspected from the beginning that it would use physical cores, but I hadn't read up on it at the time, so I held my tongue. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I understand how hyperthreading works, thanks very much. I was simply misinformed by the article I read on the concept of inverse hyperthreading. I had heard that it was the dedication of the hyperthreading resources of each core to a pooled thread, so to speak. Perhaps I misheard. I had suspected from the beginning that it would use physical cores, but I hadn't read up on it at the time, so I held my tongue. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

so it's worth getting a non K Skylake over locked haswell

The Brokish Boy v1: CPU: i7-8700k GPU: MSI Gaming X GTX ti MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus X Code Ram: G.Skill Trident Z 4x8gb 3200mhz DRIVES: 2x3TB WD Black , 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 500gb 970 EVO SSD Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black Headphone: ATH-MSR7 Mic: Blue Yeti Monitors: 27" BenQ GW2765 1440p; IPS, 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p; VA