is it dead?

Angelus2141
Go to solution Solved by Sauron,

My bet is the pump died. Try unplugging the fans, booting into the bios and listening closely to the cpu block. If you don't hear some sort of buzzing sound it's the pump.

Hi all,

Think ive just encountered my first pc component falure (despite how badly i treat them). I came home from work and started playing KSP a very CPU heavy game. I noticed that there was considerable lag when I had youtube open in the back ground which was odd because thats never happened before.

i looked through task manager and no new or unusual progs were running. Then i noticed core temp. The temps read 103C, i nearly pee'd myself. Upon inspection the fans on my H100 were not running and at first I thought the cooler had died. But after some cable rerouting the fans came back to life. Ahhhhh i thought to myself good job.

That was a premature self pat on the back. upon restarting the pc the temps were in the 70's at idle. No biggy i thought after all I am not the only one using this pc and the other guy was probably playing bloody farmville all day and didnt notice what had happened and I presumed after a few minutes temps would drop back to normal.

They didnt. and in fact they stayed at 74 ish under loads between 0-11% after much more fiddling the only conclusions I can come to are

1. Chip got knackered somehow by being run without active cooling and now cant cool down.

2. Corsair H100 pump has died and so no flow.

3. I havent left it turned off long enough for it too cool down from its hot hot hot temps

I wanted your guys input see which you think is right. Firstly I dont (as yet) have an alternate cooler to try on it.

These are my findings.

Fans may have been idle while pc in operation for possible 8 plus hours. (farmville, google and some youtube stuff were likely only usage during that time).

Fans are working now

LED lights are showing on corsair pump assembly and when pressing the button to switch modes the LEDS are changing and so are fan speeds

Fans are running at max rpm but still temperature is not dropping 

This is under almost complete idle load

Molex power supply is on same cable as hard drive power supply (molex to sata for HDD) and the hard drives are fine.

Also fans are connected to the pump/cpu block and they are running again so im thinking power is fine.

on the plus side if it is dead i can look for a new cooler. 

Also should mention no RMA possible this was a manufacturer refurbished model i got many moons ago (3 years+) from overclockers.co.uk on special offer because was refurbished only £29.99 but only 90 warranty.

Thanks

forgot to mention I cant really hear if the pump is working because of the fan placement, 

Edited by Angelus2141

My bet is the pump died. Try unplugging the fans, booting into the bios and listening closely to the cpu block. If you don't hear some sort of buzzing sound it's the pump.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Did you try reseating the CPU block? And if the pump is running, you should be able to hear it...

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

This happened to me with my first H100i, turned out the pump was busted and I had to return it. Got a replacement and works fine though. If possible, try to check whether the pump is working (is it buzzing/vibrating?) If not then an RMA is in order :)

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

i think the pump is most likely dead.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

interesting hadnt though of booting to bios and turning off fans will try it. thanks sauron

Havent tried reseating but the block hasnt moved so not sure that would help and Yeah without the fans I could probably hear it but even with the fans on low my hearing is that bad that i cant hear the block.

Ill get back to you with my results in a moment

interesting hadnt though of booting to bios and turning off fans will try it. thanks sauron

Havent tried reseating but the block hasnt moved so not sure that would help and Yeah without the fans I could probably hear it but even with the fans on low my hearing is that bad that i cant hear the block.

Ill get back to you with my results in a moment

make sure you quote or mention (e.g. @Sauron) the people you're talking to or we won't get a notification.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'm almost certain the pump died or is faulty in some way. I fixed a computer once with a FX-6300 where the owner said it would just randomly turn off during gaming and had been doing so for about a year. After looking at it the idle temps were very high and during games it would skyrocket and shut itself down. I replaced the Corsair H50 with a Hyper 212 and the temps went back to normal and that PC has been working fine for about a year since then. 

Also i ended up taking apart the H50 and the pump still spun when power on but the fans and the pump were filled with some sort of black sand like gunk. 

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

well like a good doctor who fan i feared the silence.

unfortunately the silence found me. 

I made sure all fans were off and booted to bios. I even disconnected my secondary HDD so its noise wouldnt interfere and I heard nothing. and my ear was so close to the pump I was afraid I was guna touch the board and electrocute myself via the ear.

So im guessing that means dead pump right?

If so im guna look at the silver lining.

NEW AIO SHOPPING YEAH!

thanks to    @Sauron  @Mixzzz   @ThinkWithPortals @VioDuskar @Luke

Yup, clearly dead pump. btw @Angelus2141 it's a good idea to follow your topics

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yup, clearly dead pump. btw @Angelus2141 it's a good idea to follow your topics

@Sauron follow my topics? you mean like subscribe to the thread I post? if so i never need to do that im far too impatient and diligent im always checking for replies. usually several times a minute lol. Hmm  think i can put this post as answered now right? Lets see if i can do that lol

well like a good doctor who fan i feared the silence.

unfortunately the silence found me. 

I made sure all fans were off and booted to bios. I even disconnected my secondary HDD so its noise wouldnt interfere and I heard nothing. and my ear was so close to the pump I was afraid I was guna touch the board and electrocute myself via the ear.

So im guessing that means dead pump right?

If so im guna look at the silver lining.

NEW AIO SHOPPING YEAH!

thanks to    @Sauron  @Mixzzz   @ThinkWithPortals @VioDuskar @Luke

Yeah, dead silence from a H100 pump is only possible if its a.Off/disconnected b.Dead  :)

RMA if its still in the warranty period to save yourself some $$$

CPU: Intel i7-4790K | GPU: Asus Strix 2080 Super OC | COOLER:Corsair H110i GT | MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133mhz PSU: Corsair RM 1000 | CASE: Corsair C70 | MOUSE: Corsair M95 KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 RGB SSD: Samsung 256GBx2 Raid0 | OS: Windows 10 | DISPLAY: Dell S3220dgf

@Sauron follow my topics? you mean like subscribe to the thread I post? if so i never need to do that im far too impatient and diligent im always checking for replies. usually several times a minute lol. Hmm  think i can put this post as answered now right? Lets see if i can do that lol

It's not just a matter of checking or not - if at any point in the future someone makes a post here for some reason without quoting you you won't know. Also, we can't know if you're checking it regularly or if you simply forgot/don't know how to follow the topic, meaning we need to quote or mention you every time. Not ideal.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*