xbox one will work without kinect

wtfxmitchell

Microsoft has revealed that the Xbox One doesn't need Kinect in order to function...

Contrary to previous claims, Microsoft's Marc Whitten has revealed that the upcoming Xbox One will not need Kinect in order to function.

Talking to IGN, Whitten said, “The console will still function if Kinect isn't plugged in, although you won't be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor.

"You have the ability to completely turn the sensor off in your settings. When in this mode, the sensor is not collecting any information. Any functionality that relies on voice, video, gesture or more won't work. We still support using it for IR blasting in this mode.

"You can turn the sensor back on at any time through settings, and if you enter into a required Kinect experience (like Kinect Sports Rivals for instance), you'll get a message asking if you want to turn the sensor back on in order to continue."

This should please those worried about big brother spying on them, and those that simply don’t want to use, or don't like Kinect.

Whiten also confirmed that you'll be able to see what your 360-owning friends are up to (and vice versa), but if you have more than 100 friends and go back to your 360, the list will be streamlined to 360 users only due to the older console's 100 friend limit. The friends list on Xbox One will initially have a favourites function, with more filtering possibly arriving in the future.

Cross-plaftorm party chat won't be supported due to technical limitations, sadly, but you can still send text messages across systems.

Major Nelson also recently posted a video looking at the new controller, which sports over 40 improvements, and can also be used with PCs (via and update due in 2014). You can see this below.

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/games/xbox-one/26859/xbox-one-will-work-without-kinect#ixzz2bpzpGU2b

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

I'll get it now for sure. The kinect is the only thing I didn't like about it. I didn't care about the used game thing and play off hrddrive hoopla. The kinect requirement is what put me off and with that being eased off I'll be getting it. Now if they offered the console without the kinect for cheaper I would definitely get it within the first year of launch

THEY CHANGE THERE MIND ON EVERTHING JEZZ! I don't even care anymore.

Hi.

Puts them in a position to sell the console sans Kinect for $400. Though if Sony goes through with a Vita bundle for $500, Sony still has the better deal.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Puts them in a position to sell the console sans Kinect for $400. Though if Sony goes through with a Vita bundle for $500, Sony still has the better deal.

They won't unless initial, and holiday 2013, sales are low. Kinect is with every console to influence developers to use it.

I answer yes now I will get it but I didn't say at launch.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

How many times can microsoft change something? they started off saying that you had to have it and now they are just rewriting everything

I am a happy wuffy

I assume they're still bundling the Kinect with the console though?

They really need to launch a "basic" or "starter" pack for it without the Kinect sensor. It would enable them to stay much more competitive with Sony for pricing and would paint them in a better light. Doing so would be giving the consumer more choice, which is (mostly) always a good thing. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I assume they're still bundling the Kinect with the console though?

They really need to launch a "basic" or "starter" pack for it without the Kinect sensor. It would enable them to stay much more competitive with Sony for pricing and would paint them in a better light. Doing so would be giving the consumer more choice, which is (mostly) always a good thing. :)

The problem with that is, that they want to enable developers to use the Kinect more in the games and they can't do that if only like 10% of people have it (current problem).

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

The problem with that is, that they want to enable developers to use the Kinect more in the games and they can't do that if only like 10% of people have it (current problem).

I'd argue that's the wrong way for them to go. If the new Kinect is a good enough bit of tech then developers will have an interest in it. The more games that use the technology to good effect the more market interest there will be.

I understand what you mean though, and you're right it probably is why Microsoft bundled it with the console. I just disagree with them and think their logic is flawed.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff