Death of Firewire 400?

terrytek

I know it's kinda late, but here it is anyway. 

Is it the death of FireWire 400? According to this site, http://www.salon.com/2008/10/17/apple_firewire/, Apple is one of the first computer companies to ditch FireWire 400 for USB 2.0. I cannot believe this crap. I mean, why would they ditch FireWire if it's twice the speed of USB 2.0? Heck, I even got an old Seagate external HDD from 2003 that can be used on both USB 2.0 and FireWire. However, my computer doesn't have any FireWire ports, so that kinda sucks. I was hoping the complete opposite, that FireWire would completely obliterate USB, both 2.0 and 3.0. I hate when technology that i love, such as FireWire and AGP and PATA, disappears off the face of the earth and may never come back again. WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY???

-terrytek

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

USB 2.0 is standardized, while Firewire is hardly ever used. It makes sense to ditch it - how many devices actually use Firewire compared to USB? USB is much more sensible right now, and that leaves room for things that are actually going to be used.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I know it's kinda late, but here it is anyway. 

Is it the death of FireWire 400? According to this site, http://www.salon.com/2008/10/17/apple_firewire/, Apple is one of the first computer companies to ditch FireWire 400 for USB 2.0. I cannot believe this crap. I mean, why would they ditch FireWire if it's twice the speed of USB 2.0? Heck, I even got an old Seagate external HDD from 2003 that can be used on both USB 2.0 and FireWire. However, my computer doesn't have any FireWire ports, so that kinda sucks. I was hoping the complete opposite, that FireWire would completely obliterate USB, both 2.0 and 3.0. I hate when technology that i love, such as FireWire and AGP and PATA, disappears off the face of the earth and may never come back again. WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY???

-terrytek

If it's a desktop, you can get a FireWire 400 card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815287004

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

If you love Firewire so much why don't you use it?  :P It just never gained enough traction. Keep in mind Apple is advocating for Thunderbolt now, which is vastly superior. This is the sole reason they're dropping it.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I'm not surprised. I don't think the Firewire standard ever got enough traction when it was relevant to be considered a long-running legacy port (even though all the mobos I've had have had FW headers), especially compared to USB. I know some cameras and external hard drives (mostly "Made for Mac") use it, but I can't think of anything else on the top of my head. However, for those who still want it, Apple makes a thunderbolt to firewire adapter, plus you can get PCI cards to add it to your desktop...

Yeah, but thunderbolt is brand new, so not a lot of devices are using it right now or are very expensive ATM. Besides. I think Firewire 800 is faster than any port, including USB 3.0. There should be a reason to keep FireWire.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Yeah, but thunderbolt is brand new, so not a lot of devices are using it right now or are very expensive ATM. Besides. I think Firewire 800 is faster than any port, including USB 3.0. There should be a reason to keep FireWire.

Not really, USB3.0 is rated to 5gbps and will soon be updated to 10gbps (FW800 is rated to 3.2gbps). Thunderbolt is rated to an even higher 20gbps (and also has daisy chaining capability). USB3.0 walks all over FW800 in real world scenarios and is on more devices, AND is backward compatible with USB2.0 ports. There's no real reason to continue to use FW800 when USB3.0 and Thunderbolt exist.

post-2523-0-33711800-1376368771.jpg

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I might be crazy, but I should protest to bring back FireWire.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner I have never used FireWire in my life nor have I seen a physical cable really nothing to be sad about IMO USB 2 is fine and USB 3 is even better

Firewire may have had technical advantages, but it wasn't ever popular. I only had one thing that used it (old digital video camera) and it was horrible.

I might be crazy, but I should protest to bring back FireWire.

It is thoroughly obsolete. May as well protest to ramp up CD production and start bringing out software on disk-only again while you're at it.

My old tv tuner is FireWire and new z87 mobo doesn't have it.. Decided to buy a new dual tv pcie tuner instead .. Oh well

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

There is no logical reason for it to continue to be supported when there are already newer and better standards already out there. Do you still see any new AGP cards or slots being integrated? Nope. Do you still see any new PCI cards? A handful. Hell, VGA and DVI are going to be dropped from video cards in the next few years in favor of Displayport and HDMI.

Firewire 400 shall never die! do you know how much older high end equipment uses it for good reasons? The newer standard would be firewire 800 which is backwards compatible with 400 but thunderbolt stole the limelight from it.

There is no logical reason for it to continue to be supported when there are already newer and better standards already out there. Do you still see any new AGP cards or slots being integrated? Nope. Do you still see any new PCI cards? A handful. Hell, VGA and DVI are going to be dropped from video cards in the next few years in favor of Displayport and HDMI.

A single DVI-I port will be available on GFX card for a long time I have a feeling for compatibility. 

Firewire 400 shall never die! do you know how much older high end equipment uses it for good reasons? The newer standard would be firewire 800 which is backwards compatible with 400 but thunderbolt stole the limelight from it.

Finally! Someone agrees with me! FireWire SHOULD NEVER DIE!! SO WILL DVI!!!!

It is thoroughly obsolete. May as well protest to ramp up CD production and start bringing out software on disk-only again while you're at it.

Hell, NO! It is not even obsolescent at all.

Maybe in the form of an adapter.

Goodbye Analog, hello digital. -Yours truly, Intel

Yeah, well I'm a pessimist, so IDC what it means. I still think analog is better than digital, PERIOD.

Maybe in the form of an adapter.

Goodbye Analog, hello digital. -Yours truly, Intel

I didnt mean on laptops on desktop GFX cards im sure there wil still be one for wuite some time 

and yes with adapter you can get DP to do HDMI, DVI, and VGA.

Yeah, well I'm a pessimist, so IDC what it means. I still think analog is better than digital, PERIOD.

not when your feeding a digital display....

I still got a few 720P televisions that are still analog and work just like a digital display to me

Finally! Someone agrees with me! FireWire SHOULD NEVER DIE!! SO WILL DVI!!!!

Hell, NO! It is not even obsolescent at all.

USB 3.0 and thunderbolt both obliterate it. It's obsolete, and has very little wide usage. It's obsolete. Just like AGP and PATA. 

USB 3.0 and thunderbolt both obliterate it. It's obsolete, and has very little wide usage. It's obsolete. Just like AGP and PATA. 

please then find me my exact product that is in perfect working order in thunderbolt and tell me why I should switch when have to spend $400+ for the new product much less the pc with it.

please then find me my exact product that is in perfect working order in thunderbolt and tell me why I should switch when have to spend $400+ for the new product much less the pc with it.

If you still have firewire devices buy a firewire card, we are not going to halt computing progress just so you don't have to spend money. Firewire had a nice lifespan, it's well over 15 years old at this point. the rest of us are moving on, you're welcome to join if you wish.