windows 10 OEM vs RETAIL key difference

flxyy

I found a windows 10 pro OEM key at very low price is there any difference with the original retail key?

MY PC   CPU INTEL i7 4790k   MOTHERBOARD ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK1   COOLING CORSAIR H80i    CASE BITFENIX RONIN   RAM 2X4GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600MHZ  GPU GIGABYTE GTX 970 G1 PSU CORSAIR RM750 WATT SSD SAMSUNG PRO 850 256GB HDD WD 1TB BLUE

Basicly it has no support from Microsoft only from the OEM Who sold the PC with the software installed..

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

I found a windows 10 pro OEM key at very low price is there any difference with the original retail key?

Not much really, works the same. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Yeah, I've read that it's the same but the OEM is linked to the motherboard and only good for that one install.

Also no support from MS at all. 

Not much really, works the same. 

There's a difference. OEM is tied down to your hardware. So if you decided to change your motherboard to a new, you'll need a new key. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

false. This is true based on a "good faith" effort. If you trash the computer the license is attached to, you can then use the license on another machine.

Yeah, I've read that it's the same but the OEM is linked to the motherboard and only good for that one install.

Also no support from MS at all. 

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

false. This is true based on a "good faith" effort. If you trash the computer the license is attached to, you can then use the license on another machine.

Thanks for that correction. 

So if the PC isn't trashed then, you would have to purchase a new key correct?

Thanks for that correction. 

So if the PC isn't trashed then, you would have to purchase a new key correct?

Yes.  Even if you "repurpose" the machine, it doesn't count.  You HAVE to scrap the machine.  They put this clause into effect incase the computer needs repair beyond a single component and it will require a platform change.

Also, it will usually require that you call the 1-800 number hotline to get it activated.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

So i will not get any windows updates?

MY PC   CPU INTEL i7 4790k   MOTHERBOARD ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK1   COOLING CORSAIR H80i    CASE BITFENIX RONIN   RAM 2X4GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600MHZ  GPU GIGABYTE GTX 970 G1 PSU CORSAIR RM750 WATT SSD SAMSUNG PRO 850 256GB HDD WD 1TB BLUE

No, you'll get Windows updates like everyone else, but if you have a problem, Microsoft won't really be much help. That's how I read it, I don't have much experience on that subject though, so if I'm wrong someone please correct me

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

U get updates as anybody else. U even get free update to windows 10. Its just if u call a tech support for any other reason than your licence key difficulties, they wont help you. But nobody calls tech support these days so it doesnt matter :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

U get updates as anybody else. U even get free update to windows 10. Its just if u call a tech support for any other reason than your licence key difficulties, they wont help you. But nobody calls tech support these days so it doesnt matter :)

yes that is what i though and i wont upgrade this pc in a while thank you all for your relpies

There's a difference. OEM is tied down to your hardware. So if you decided to change your motherboard to a new, you'll need a new key. 

No.. It works the same. 

Unless OEM in this scenario means the thing that came with prebuilt computer such as a laptop or pc? 

Not something like this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/microsoft-windows-81-64bit-dvd-english-international-oem

Which you can use the key on anything you want. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

No.. It works the same. 

Unless OEM in this scenario means the thing that came with prebuilt computer such as a laptop or pc? 

Not something like this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/microsoft-windows-81-64bit-dvd-english-international-oem

Which you can use the key on anything you want. 

No. Example

You buy your parts for your PC. LGA 1150 and then you buy the OEM Windows. Later down the line, you want to update to X99. Then you'll need to use a different key. 

Look at this Video:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Wow, my bad did not know about the license restrictions. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

• 10 months later...

"If you Call them They Will Fix It."
Seriously, nine times out of ten the "tech" person who answers the activation key line is not a high-end tech but is an underpaid phone operator who just wants to get the call over with. As long as you sound like you know what your talking about and tell them your motherboard died and you had to replace it they will issue you a new key. Don't make up crap and lie because they will catch it. Be honest but don't sound like a soccer Mom who only uses a PC to connect to Facebook. Only downside is every time you reinstall after that point you might have to call them again. However, if you are like me and build PC's for customers (A family member can be a customer :ph34r:) explain to them that you build PC's for a living and you have to reinstall Windows multiple times a day and you don't want to have to call them and bother them every time they might give you an "unlocked" type of key like they have done for me in the past.

no one ever calls their tech support line

In regards to the comment that no one ever calls their tech support line, keep the following in mind:
When Windows 10 was still in late beta testing I ran into an issue with Cortana. I had upgraded from my OEM license of Windows 8.1
I had built the PC myself. I called Windows Tech support because Cortana refused to connect to any services.
At first they said I had to contact my OEM System Builder for support or pay a $150 per incidence fee.
However, I told them the issue was their fault and my ISP fault. To make a long story short(er) after investigating I figured out my ISP had long ago blocked a range of IP address that Microsoft was now using for Cortana integration. I told them them it was Microsoft's job to fix that problem rather than mine or my ISP because the IP ranges Cortana was using used to be used by Hotmail advertising to send basically SPAM emails and so on back in the day.
I also knew there were potentially millions of new Windows 10 users that also used my ISP (name rhymes with Sharter :dry:) that would not understand why Cortana would not work correctly and just blame Microsoft. So at the end of the day Microsoft didn't charge me a dime, my ISP had to refund me for 7 days of downtime (Couldn't use my PC's main functions because of theirs and Microsoft's fault) and I became a sort of unknown agent who fixed millions of people's Cortana issue before they even knew it existed.

Note: If you really want to know who the stupid ISP was who had blocked a range of Microsoft IP's, check my Twitter archive where you can read my discussions with Microsoft and the ISP trying to get them to understand I knew WTF I was talking about and they didn't. Just because they are a multi-billion dollar corporation doesn't mean they are smarter than you or can't make stupid mistakes.