Will expensive CPU's matter more for gaming now?

Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

If DX12 improves CPU utilization, you'll be able to do more with less CPU power. That makes CPU matter less, not more.

With DX12 on the horizon. and it's promise to be much better at utilizing multiple threads/cores. and generally be better at using cpu horsepower.
Will i7's (or the best zen chips whenever they're coming out) start to pull far ahead of i3 and i5's when it comes to gaming perfomance?

I'm in the middle of making decision atm. 

i7's have allways given a sliiight fps increase. But will the gap betweeni3, i5 and i7 gaming performance increase with dx12 games?

With DX12 on the horizon. and it's promise to be much better at utilizing multiple threads/cores. and generally be better at using cpu horsepower.

Will i7's (or the best zen chips whenever they're coming out) start to pull far ahead of i3 and i5's when it comes to gaming perfomance?

I'm in the middle of making decision atm. 

i7's have allways given a sliiight fps increase. But will the gap betweeni3, i5 and i7 gaming performance increase with dx12 games?

The gpu is the only real benefit from dx12 as babadoctor said

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

No, All anyone really cares about (me included) is frames, and that really is all you need in a gaming machine.

*mildly autistic*

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard: x99 RampageRAM: 16GB DDR4 GPU: Nvidia 980 Ti SSD: Looking for one |

I highly doubt game designers would alienate anyone not running hyperthreading. Not that they wouldn't, I just doubt it. That and many of the game I play run better on DX9 than DX11 so I imagine running DX11 will still be popular for a while yet, and there aren't any game on the horizon utilizing DX12 so who knows.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

If DX12 improves CPU utilization, you'll be able to do more with less CPU power. That makes CPU matter less, not more.

This, a million times this.

It's the graphics card that is the upper limit on game performance. Any cpu improvements with dx 12 won't change that. It will mean that weaker cpus will be able to keep up with graphics cards that they might otherwise bottleneck

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

@Glenwing @App4that @incarnate so what u guys r saying is that the FX 8300 lineup will still be competitive with intel cpus and even gain something performance wise , and we (owners of amd cpus) won't be needed to switch to intel platfomrs for better fps ?

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB

@Glenwing @App4that @incarnate so what u guys r saying is that the FX 8300 lineup will still be competitive with intel cpus and even gain something performance wise , and we (owners of amd cpus) won't be needed to switch to intel platfomrs for better fps ?

We'll see. If AMD's CPUs "gain performance" then Intel's will too.

Although, everyone agrees Intel's CPUs are more than enough for gaming, I have a feeling that if Intel's performance increases a bunch, and AMD's FX-8350 increases to where Intel is at now, all the sudden everyone will decide that's not really enough anymore.

But, like I said. We'll see.

I agree with Glenwing. Look at Fallout 4, it's suspected system requirements are less than Witcher 3, it also used DX11. Developers and publishers benefit the more level the playing field is.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

We don't know how much it will improve by or when games will start implementing those features. And by then Zen would be out.

But yes, there is potential there to alleviate the bottlenecking when using a high end gpu with an fx cpu. But by the time enough games are out to make it worth it, Zen will probably be out.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB