I am completely new to audio, audio peripherals, connectors, standards, etc. HALP!

Philcat101

I have been wanting to improve the audio in my setup for a better experience, so I tried to research it.

Unlike graphics cards or CPU resources out there, Audio resources that are substantial on all the information listed it the title are extremely hard to find.

I am wondering about all the DAC's, the AMP's, the mixers, brands, microphones, speakers, blah, blah, blah. I am a beginner.

If you have any good YouTube channels, websites, or other resources (heck, even type up a reply of all this stuff), please, let me know.

I want to be able to know about everything so I can make a good descision myself, rather than using other peoples ideas as crutches.

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

I'd go for Innerfedility for general headphones recommendations. 

Then the legendary Nwavguy's blog to read up on what the different specs on the sheet means and what makes a good amp/dac.

If you watch Z-Reviews from the beginning, it feels like you and him are going exploring the crazy new world of audio together.

He's not as objective as Innerfedility, but is fun.

As far as headphones go, you can't go wrong with the popular 'audiophile' companies like Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic and the sort. For a microphone I like the modmic because it gives you more options for headphone/mic combos and I don't know jack about DACs and amps

Edit: O2 amp is supposed to be pretty nifty

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

the issue is that you can objectively test the speed of a processor, the heat it puts out, and other factors.

however, past a certain point (when your audio isnt a potato) it becomes REALLY subjective what sounds better and what sounds worse.

so be prepared for a lot of mixed information...

So there's a big giant audio FAQ stickied right in this subforum. The first link in my signline has even more information, all of which is vetted by moi for quality.

So there's a big giant audio FAQ stickied right in this subforum. The first link in my signline has even more information, all of which is vetted by moi for quality.

But but but