Water cooling dual r9 290x

I have a corsair h100i gtx cooling my CPU, I am keeping it so I don't have to fool with taking the pictures, packaging, selling, and shipping the stupid thing plus it cools my amd 955 be at 4.8ghz great at 45C at the highest.

I am wanting to watercool my dual r9 290x gpu's so I don't have to listen to that airplane in my room every time I play GTA V. I am housing my parts in a Thermaltake Level 10 GT case and the top rad space is taken. I can mount a rad outside on the exhaust (at the most a 360mm) and a 120mm on the bottom. I have also seen where someone mounted one against the hdd area. I will show pictures if needed. I would like to know how much rad space I need to keep these gpu's cool during some overclocking and heavy use (GTA V).

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

I'd spend the money on a better CPU and motherboard honestly.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Ur not gonna have a good time with CFire 290X's and that 955 LOL

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I'd spend the money on a better CPU and motherboard honestly.

Seconded

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Bottleneck man... get a better mobo and cpu

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I've got a high dollar motherboard that I HAD to get because my original one didn't crossfire properly, and I will get a new cpu when I get the watercooling supplies. It will do till I splurg on a new one. For now I am just trying to plan accordingly with rads.

ORLY?

You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

I've got a high dollar motherboard that I HAD to get because my original one didn't crossfire properly, and I will get a new cpu when I get the watercooling supplies. It will do till I splurg on a new one. For now I am just trying to plan accordingly with rads.

at least a 240mm rad +120mm

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Cool thanks everyone! This helps me get a general idea of what I'll need to get. I appreciate yall not bugging me anymore about a bottleneck that I'm well aware of but just can't take care of at the moment.

ORLY?

You think a 480 should get me covered? I was thinking of doing a dual 480 at 60mm thick and attaching them via fans and short screws, but don't to go over board (unless absolutely necessary) as I will have to save money for the following school year. I don't mind having a 480 and a 240 or 360. Having each card at 60-75C is perfectly fine with me as I will be overclocking them to get GTA V to 60-70 FPS.

Remember that I will be adding more ram and a new CPU when I do all this.

ORLY?

You think a 480 should get me covered? I was thinking of doing a dual 480 at 60mm thick and attaching them via fans and short screws, but don't to go over board (unless absolutely necessary) as I will have to save money for the following school year. I don't mind having a 480 and a 240 or 360. Having each card at 60-75C is perfectly fine with me as I will be overclocking them to get GTA V to 60-70 FPS.

Remember that I will be adding more ram and a new CPU when I do all this.

I've got a pair of overclocked 290x's in a loop with x2 240 rads (one thick and one thin ... due to geometric contraints) and they do quite well. I have a bit of a worst case scenario with my room layout because the A/C vent is blocked by furniture - the room gets quite warm after gaming. With the ambient case temp being upwards of 30C, the GPU cores sit at 50-60C - water temp in the low 40s.

The 480 should be enough for your GPUs if you're willing to see 75C. If you plan to expand your loop to your CPU then i would definitely recommend another rad.

Cool, thanks. What RPMs are you running your fans? These rads with me external so noise is a factor. I am going to get tired of the jet plan in my room by this time next year!

ORLY?

(1) pair is 1650 and the other pair is 2000 RPM - just wanted to see performance and sound level differences in my set-up. I went with the cheapest ones i could find just to get a reference when comparing to reviews others have made;

http://www.overclock.net/t/1274407/fans-the-most-complete-and-comprehensive-array-of-tests-and-benchmarks

At low load conditions i don't keep the fans running higher than 1400 and my water temp is nearly ambient room temp.

I have 2 MSI R9 290 on Alphacool waterblocks and an i5 4690k @ 4.2ghz. 280, 240 and 120mm rads. Check out my stress test video 

• 2 months later...

Sorry guys, this semester has been busy.

Nice set up. What do you have your core and memory set as?

For those that have overclocked your cards, what clock speeds do you have the vram and core at?

Also should I go with the 6300 CPU or the 8320? The 8320 is the 8370 at a lower clock speed.

I am trying to keep gta v at a minimum of 50 fps.

ORLY?

Sorry guys, this semester has been busy.

Nice set up. What do you have your core and memory set as?

For those that have overclocked your cards, what clock speeds do you have the vram and core at?

Also should I go with the 6300 CPU or the 8320? The 8320 is the 8370 at a lower clock speed.

I am trying to keep gta v at a minimum of 50 fps.

I would advise against AMD CPUs when doing multi-GPU. Even the frankly ridiculous FX9590 (and 8350/8320 binned to OC to =<5GHz) starts to present bottleneck for a single 970/290/390, let alone a single 290X, even more so with 2.

Here's an example with the FX6300 (a titan X is technically weaker than a pair of 290Xs)

A single 290X should be easily capable of running GTA V at 50+FPS on max/near-max settings (at 1080p, possibly 1440p as well), provided it is pared with a decent CPU (my 970 is entirely capable of it since the CPU (4690K) can keep up).

As such, if you haven't already purchased your GPUs I might advise spending some extra cash in the CPU department, something like an i5 6600K or i7 6700K. Or if you're dead set on AMD, grab the 8320 and hope to hell Zen lives up to it's expectation.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

I got the two gpus (290x of course) for a total of about 260 this past summer used on Craigslist and they guy even texted me in August and asked if I was still happy with them, super nice guy. They have been good. I want to set the graphics at the highest possible with anti-aliasing etc. I have actually seem a huge difference when I have it active in terms of visual appearance. I have heard of people saying they haven't but whatever suites them. I know nothing will be perfect but I'd like to be able to set to the highest but whatever the highest I can reach I'll be happy with..... until I get some kind of inheritance and get a titan x, ddr4 intel cpu and mem.

In subject to the CPU I had to purchase a new board because my other one got fried during a short. So if possible I'd prefer to not have to sell it, plus Intel costs a crap load for me to be only working in the summer. You can take a look on my current setup on my profile. I know it's not great but it was what I was able to do at the time. If I do go with Intel, when is the best time to get a good deal since black friday and cyber monday is gone?

Nice video, I appreciate it.

FYI- The i7, I defiantly won't be getting. I only game during the summer and during the school year when I have free time.

The i5 would be more realistic price wise.

ORLY?

In subject to the CPU I had to purchase a new board because my other one got fried during a short. So if possible I'd prefer to not have to sell it, plus Intel costs a crap load for me to be only working in the summer. You can take a look on my current setup on my profile. I know it's not great but it was what I was able to do at the time. If I do go with Intel, when is the best time to get a good deal since black friday and cyber monday is gone?

well I'd either go with the 8320 as the simplest solution.

Or

This, with CPU upgrades in the future (probably selling your current motherboard):

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($112.89 @ OutletPC) (bassically a haswell i3 6100) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $202.88
Since you are familiar with craigslist I suspect you can find the CPU there for less, but I'd recommend getting the board new

well I'd either go with the 8320 as the simplest solution.

Or

This, with CPU upgrades in the future (probably selling your current motherboard):

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($112.89 @ OutletPC) (bassically a haswell i3 6100) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $202.88
Since you are familiar with craigslist I suspect you can find the CPU there for less, but I'd recommend getting the board new

I looked at all the links, it is so appreciated. Wouldn't the i3 be under-powered for my current gpus, I might go with the 8320 for the time being since I already have the board for it. Buttttttt then again that isn't a bad price at all. I will deficient keep my eyes open on the gently used with Craigslist and ebay. Do you have any expereince with the 290x(s) and how they do when overclocked? When I run GTA V with my card(s) overclocked at all, the game will crash after a minute of playing to 20 minutes of playing. It can be the slightest overclock or major, it just hates them being overclocked.

ORLY?

I have a corsair h100i gtx cooling my CPU, I am keeping it so I don't have to fool with taking the pictures, packaging, selling, and shipping the stupid thing plus it cools my amd 955 be at 4.8ghz great at 45C at the highest.

I am wanting to watercool my dual r9 290x gpu's so I don't have to listen to that airplane in my room every time I play GTA V. I am housing my parts in a Thermaltake Level 10 GT case and the top rad space is taken. I can mount a rad outside on the exhaust (at the most a 360mm) and a 120mm on the bottom. I have also seen where someone mounted one against the hdd area. I will show pictures if needed. I would like to know how much rad space I need to keep these gpu's cool during some overclocking and heavy use (GTA V).

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Sent you a PM.

I looked at all the links, it is so appreciated. Wouldn't the i3 be under-powered for my current gpus, I might go with the 8320 for the time being since I already have the board for it. Buttttttt then again that isn't a bad price at all. I will deficient keep my eyes open on the gently used with Craigslist and ebay. Do you have any expereince with the 290x(s) and how they do when overclocked? When I run GTA V with my card(s) overclocked at all, the game will crash after a minute of playing to 20 minutes of playing. It can be the slightest overclock or major, it just hates them being overclocked.

this build will be imbalanced regardless, the Z series board was used with the intent that at some point you can upgrade the CPU to a 4690K, or 4790K, either should eliminate any major bottle-necking.

I do not have experience with 290Xs, all I know is that they are hot-running, so maybe there's some thermal throttling causing instabilities. or maybe they're simply poor overclockers (and since I'm almost certain they both have to run at the same speeds one might pull the other down).

I will have to see what the summer brings to the table, like I said before, I make the most money during those months.....thanks a lot college! :angry:

If I go with intel, which I am thinking very well that I might. (your pulling me into the blue and away from red), then I will probably go with the 4690K.

Thermal wise, the cards don't go over 85 due to crazy constant fan speed, so that is not an issue. I might double check that one card isn't holding the first back, if it is then.... well I don't know...... maybe ebay? :P But I could cook my breakfast on these cards... my bacon would get cold before my eggs got done with just one though. I've read where others are getting crazy stable over-clocks and I'm stuck with default. 

If they are still unstable then I have a great excuse to sell both (probably make some kind of profit) and go balls to the walls and get a 980ti or maybe borrow and get a titan x? ;P

ORLY?

Could the problem I am currently having be due to my CPU or is that not a contributor?

ORLY?

Could the problem I am currently having be due to my CPU or is that not a contributor?

unlikely, unless you OCed that as well:

if the CPU is unstable the whole computer will crash

if the GPU(s) are unstable then the game and/or display driver will crash, but not usually the whole PC.